Marion vetos trade to Utah?

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Another team's message board, and somebody's supposedly copying off a print mag, so go ahead and start dumping out the salt now:

In "3 Seconds" - a sidebar of the ESPN Magazine page "NBA Insider" (October 8 issue, Hawaii QB on the cover, p. 120) ... a couple of notes of note (this is only in print so I don't think there's a link):

... In spite of Andrei Kirilenko's trade demand, a proposed deal for Shawn Marion is still gasping for air. Says a source: "The holdup is Shawn's not wanting to play - or live - in Utah." ...

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=46593

Utah's not interested in giving him a contract extension, which might be the real sticking point for Marion and his agent.

If this is true, though, the Jazz' front office is marshmallow-soft. Not exactly the image they're trying to project...

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Good luck Shawn trying to find someone that wants to extend you!

Can his standing in Phoenix drop any lower?

You can't blame the Jazz they are one of the smallest markets in the league.

In 2006 we made 35M$ profit according to Forbes, 2nd in the league trainling Chicagos 45M$ which had a much lower payroll.
Utah made 1M$ profit.

They need to extend Deron Williams and Carlos Boozer next year, kicking in 2 years away from now when Shawn Marions extension would keep him around for more than 2 years. And they still have Okur tied to big money.

There is no way the Jazz will pay that.

Last edited:

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I can't stand shawn Marion.. at this point I am gong to have a hard time rooting for him when hes on the floor..

ARGH.. hes such a freckin Drama Queen...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was leaning towards keeping Marion and probably do a sign and trade next off season. He could also just opt out next season. If Utah is willing to do the trade without an extension then Marion should suck it up. He can opt out after next season with Utah if he wants to be traded from Phoenix so bad.

Perhaps Marion's short list is probably the Lakers... the Lakers... and the Lakers.

I've always been a Marion supporter but his antics on the eve of training camp is diminishing my support. If I were the Suns I would set the trading partners and if he doesn't like it, sit him on the bench and let him watch his value diminish.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
But I really don't like this trade, so in a way I'm glad if Marion vetoes it. I'd rather listen to Marion whine, and then put up 20/10 for $16 mil for the next year or two, than to listen to AK whine and then put up 8/4 for $13 mil for the next four.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so when does it dissolve down to ''ok shawn, where do YOU want to go''

it doesn't - this is his last year here and if he's truly upset, he opts out of a deal he'll never see again like the moron he is.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
btw how can he veto Utah unless they want that he signs an extension if they trade for him which I don't think they would want at all.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
btw how can he veto Utah unless they want that he signs an extension if they trade for him which I don't think they would want at all.

no team is gonna trade for a guy with one year on his deal unless it's just a straight salary dump - I don't think that's what's going on... eh, who cares. I'm tired about talking about Marion's stupid ass.

whatever's gonna happen will happen - I just can't waste any more time talking about this moron anymore.

the season really needs to start!

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
If its in the Mag, then its old news.

Old media is dead.

wow

that is awesome and so true. it hit me like a ton of bricks when i read this. you're right. i read old media to make sense of the real cutting edge pieces (ie to interpret results of a recent study, make sense of what's already out there through logic/analysis etc), but for raw new information, old media is useless. amazing

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
no team is gonna trade for a guy with one year on his deal unless it's just a straight salary dump - I don't think that's what's going on... eh, who cares. I'm tired about talking about Marion's stupid ass.

whatever's gonna happen will happen - I just can't waste any more time talking about this moron anymore.

the season really needs to start!

Well for Utah it is a salary dump because of the upcoming extensions but it is a salary dump that will possibly make them even better.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
So is the issue that the Suns don't want Odom, or the Lakers don't want Marion? How about a three-way: Marion to Los Angeles, Odom to Utah, Kirilenko to Phoenix? The only problem is that it helps Utah more than anyone else, but they could cough up some young talent and picks.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad. I don't want any part of AK-47. His contract is bad, is health (knees) is bad, and he brings all the same problems on the court as Shawn Marion. If I was confident in Lamar Odom's health I would ship Shawn Marion to Los Angeles for Odom and a draft pick.

Odom might not make the Phoenix Suns a better regular-season team, but in the playoffs I think he would make the team noticeably better.

Did anyone really believe that Shawn Marion would be willing to go to Utah? I don't even think the extension matters. Jerry Sloan would eat him alive, and I won't even get into how much NBA players want to live in Salt Lake City.

If there's any truth to this rumor... if there was a deal to send Shawn Marion to Salt Lake that he vetoed... I thank him for killing it.

Joe

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Joe_Mama sighting, I agree. I would much rather have Odom than Kirilenko and I am afraid the Suns would rather have Kirilenko.
Maybe Marion's attitude forces us into our luck.

da_suns_fan

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad. I don't want any part of AK-47. His contract is bad, is health (knees) is bad, and he brings all the same problems on the court as Shawn Marion. If I was confident in Lamar Odom's health I would ship Shawn Marion to Los Angeles for Odom and a draft pick.

Odom might not make the Phoenix Suns a better regular-season team, but in the playoffs I think he would make the team noticeably better.

Did anyone really believe that Shawn Marion would be willing to go to Utah? I don't even think the extension matters. Jerry Sloan would eat him alive, and I won't even get into how much NBA players want to live in Salt Lake City.

If there's any truth to this rumor... if there was a deal to send Shawn Marion to Salt Lake that he vetoed... I thank him for killing it.

Joe

I agree.

Its tough cuz I want whats best for the Suns but whats WORST for Marion :D

Any way we can ship him to Toronto?

"What are talking abooot? Whats Basketball?"

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Actually the Raptors have a far larger fanbase than the Suns, at least a bigger part of them is represented on the internet.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Most Suns fans are to old to know what the internet is. :p
And most internet geeks are too young to know the feeling of hoping for a Suns Championship for almost four decades.

But nice to hear from you in New Orleans, carey. :)

PetryJr

Registered
Reaction score
So is the issue that the Suns don't want Odom, or the Lakers don't want Marion? How about a three-way: Marion to Los Angeles, Odom to Utah, Kirilenko to Phoenix? The only problem is that it helps Utah more than anyone else, but they could cough up some young talent and picks.

You know, I'm not sure it would help Utah more. I just don't think Odom can play at the 3 anymore, especially defensively. Odom, Boozer and Okur would be a terrible frontline on defense, in my opinion.

I've thought about the possibility of a three-way deal as well, but I think it would have to be much more complicated than that, involving many other players to make it work for everyone.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well for Utah it is a salary dump because of the upcoming extensions but it is a salary dump that will possibly make them even better.

I'm not pushing for Marion to be traded to Utah but I think the Suns could do worse than AK. As I see it Marion is going to opt out next season (perhaps foolishly) and the Suns could get a young player in AK who, if healthy, can help the Suns. It's better than nothing if the Suns cannot do a sign and trade next season. As Slinslin pointed out it would probably be a salary dump for Utah. I guess it all depends how the Suns FO feels about AK. I personally think AK could do well in the Suns uptempo game. However, if the Suns can get a better offer for Marion I would consider that as well. In a way this reminds be of the Suns losing Joe Johnson except he finished his obligation with the Suns before leaving.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's better than nothing if the Suns cannot do a sign and trade next season.
It's better than nothing only if the Suns can afford it financially. But AK's contract runs for two years longer than Marion's. This would keep us above or near the luxury tax threshold for the next four years. What if Sarver starts trimming payroll again? If AK stays healthy and plays well, then it may be worth it. But if he doesn't, he will be untradeable, and so the Suns might be forced to trade one of their key players (Barbosa, Bell) instead.

A lot of people already assumed the Suns would not extend Marion after they extended Stoudemire, Diaw and Barbosa. The situation doesn't really change with AK, except that his contract won't expire until 2011. So who gets cut?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I say stay away from guys with big contracts ie (AK, RJ, Odom) and go after younger cheaper talent. Alot of teams are trying to become like the Suns and play fast paced basketball which is Marion's style.

I like the Pacers, NO, MEM, SAC, CLE & CHA as potential trade partners because they have some young talent that could really help us.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Pacers have you talent? Granger and nothing else.
New Orleans has young talent? Paul and Chandler and nothing else and no reasonable ways of matching contracts
Cleveland? They dont have any young talent that is worth discussing.
Sac? Martin who we dont need and Hawes neither of them are attractive for us.
Charlotte? They have Okafor and Felton who they would not trade and nothing else, at least nothing attractive

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard