Parallels to 2004 offseason

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Folster, Jul 10, 2019.

1. 1Sun

1Sun Banned

Bingo.

2. Ronin

Ronin Registered

Thank you Mark Cuban for signing Eric Dampier, instead of re-signing Steve Nash.

Mainstreet likes this.
  3. iVAN

iVAN Free Agent

Nash is the better passer, though he had the benefit of being in Suns offense. But they are not levels apart.

4. ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS ONE HEART BEAT!!!

Oh boy, you're really leading with this?

You can say that, but the vast majority of NBA thought dumping JJ and including draft picks to do so was dumb. Trading 6 for 11/one year of Saric was an overpay, and does very little for us in the long term, other than have us reach terribly for a 23 year old role player.

I love that you can assert this with such authority. We're talking about the #4 pick, who has had no consistency in terms of coaching/leadership, dumped before even giving the new staff a chance to rehab him. At the very worst, keep him around like Bender, and see if he improves. I love how people are so sure he's a failure and so desperate to get rid of him in spite of the fact he's still younger than our current first round gem!

The cherry on that turd sundae is acquiring Korver, who seems to fit our offseason blueprint to a tee, and immediately dumping him in lieu of trying to get assets later. (See Tyson Chandler)

One year of a middling PF and a mid-late 20's unitasker for an unquestioned top 10 pick? I don't have my crystal ball out, but there was a reason that trade was panned.

Wrong Wrong Wrong. Where do you get your info? The Suns could have easily created the space necessary to get Russell, and retain Oubre>

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...angelo-russell-and-kelly-oubre-jr/1602234001/

Decent? Define decent. What I see is a bad team that gave up the majority of their future assets to avoid another 20 win season. Where is the hope? Outside of Booker/Ayton, which young player on this team shows any star potential?

Paying guys like Rubio 17M per year to be less of an embarrassment makes sense in a vacuum, but when it forces you to dump a bunch of other assets for a player that isn't the long term answer, what's the point?

Is putting a bad/capped out/minimally talented team satisfying to you?

5. 1Sun

1Sun Banned

This.

6. SunnyBaller

SunnyBaller Registered

Wow I had no idea you were so knowledgeable about basketball , what front office do you work in? Most be getting paid alot since you know exactly how a player is going to turn out.

And ya they could have cleared space for Russel I didn't say they couldn't, from reports they didn't want to do that along with other reasons so they didn't. As I said they weren't going to get anyone else at or above his level

And an unquestioned top 10 in a horrible draft oh ya that's gonna be a sure fire all-star for sure

And I love how you can so confidently claim Cam will be nothing more than a role player and yet defend JJ who statistically was one of the worst players in the league his first two years, outside his off the court issues, but ok ya he might improve but Can no chance?,oh man that made me laugh

Is this 1suns second account or something ?

CardsSunsDbacks likes this.
  7. ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS ONE HEART BEAT!!!

You started with your moronic "haven't seen how these moves will turn out" post, and aren't disappointing with your follow up.

Wow, now you're straight up lying. It's literally what you said.

Let's continue down the list of logical fallacies - straw man anyone? Crazy idea here - why not take the best player, or if you're infatuated for some reason for a late 20's pick, then why not trade down? Basic understanding of asset management here.

Please show me a draft profile or provide an argument that he's anything but a role player. He's 23! He's been in college basketball long enough to actually show what he is - a knock down 3 point shooter. He can't defend the 2/3/4, he doesn't create, and was projected late first round because he IS a 23 year old role player, and doesn't have the requisite athleticism to make a leap. This isn't my opinion - it's the consensus among the basketball world.

If you can't see the difference in potential from a 23 year old college role player and a 22 year old #4 overall pick lauded for his athleticism, I don't know what to tell you.

And complete your masterpiece with an ad hominem...well done! Still waiting for something substantive - I'm not holding my breath.

8. 1Sun

1Sun Banned

Don't get your hopes up. The retort seems to be limited to misrepresentation, name calling or putting posters on ignore.

9. SunnyBaller

SunnyBaller Registered

Well I did contradict myself saying they could get Russel then salary wise didn't realize I put couldn't instead of wouldn't, I'm busy so im not debating every stupid point in this argument anymore, only one I'm going to mention is the JJ one. Saying JJ has more potential than Cam, who was their leading scorer not really a role player, in a basketball standpoint is obvious , JJ mostly devalues himself with his MANY off the court issues , this isn't the NFL, the cowboys aren't knocking on our door to get this Trainwreck of a kid, they gave up almost nothing to get rid of him, most consider that a win

10. SunnyBaller

SunnyBaller Registered

Ya have never done either , but considering you're ignored by half the board I guess that's fair statement...sort of

11. 1Sun

1Sun Banned

To his credit, Cam had a decent PER of 25.30, good for 95th in the country. Of course, those with better PERs include Tacko Fall (25.46, 88th), PJ Washington (26.05, 74th), Jarrett Culver (26.19, 67th), Charles Bassey (26.31, T62nd), Jaxson Hayes (27.51, T45th), Shamorie Ponds (27.54, 43rd), Bruno Fernando (28.36, 31st), Daniel Gafford (29.10, 22nd), Mfiondu Kabengele (29.28, 19th), Ethan Happ (29.43, 16th), Rui Hachimura (30.34, 13th), Grant Williams (31.04, 11th) and Brandon Clarke (37.73, 2nd).

Again, a lot comes down to how one's game translates to the NBA, not just pure college stats.

12. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

He was all-nba in Dallas. It was his back that was really the question mark after a poor 03-04’ season. If we made that same signing in today’s age of social media it would’ve been ugly lol.

13. elindholm

elindholm edited for content

I like the Rubio signing, but the Rubio-Nash comparisons need to stop. Nash had a been a two-time All-Star in Dallas before coming (back) to Phoenix, and was one of the clear leaders on a Mavericks roster that won as many as 60 games one season. He was, even then, in an entirely different category from where Rubio is.

14. 1Sun

1Sun Banned

Yup. Rubio as a point guard now is more comparable to what Q Richardson was as a wing then.

15. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks ASFN Contributor Contributor

I don’t think it is meant as a head to head comparison, but to compare the situation of adding a good passing PG to a young, athletic, talented roster.