OT: Marion on his way to Toronto.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
RealGm Wiretap said:
The Jermaine O'Neal for Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks trade is gaining momentum and could be finalized within a week if Miami is satisfied with the health and play of O'Neal now that he is back on the floor. Sources confirmed talks are nearly completed at the highest levels of each organization.
O'Neal, according to sources and various Internet reports, has told friends and acquaintances that he expects to be dealt to Miami. League sources tell the Star that nothing is expected to happen in the next 24 or 48 hours, and it could be more than a week before any deal is finalized.

supposedly the deal is almost done. I think he might do okay there. He'll play a role similar to what he did here. Calderon will distribute, bosh will slash and score inside, and his job will be to play D, rebound, and knock down the occasional shot.

Colangelo must like him.

I think the trade will improve Miami a whole lot.

Hayduke

Registered
Reaction score
I bet he's not going to be feeling that weather up there much.

Las Vegas boy, to Pheonix, to Miami... to Toronto. Brrrr

HooverDam

Reaction score
Weird, O'Neal for Marion & Banks twice. I think thats a good trade for Toronto, Marion will probably fit in better than and do well w/ a good PG. Im not sure why Miami would do it, they do need size, but O'Neal seems done.

OP
OP
arwillan

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Weird, O'Neal for Marion & Banks twice. I think thats a good trade for Toronto, Marion will probably fit in better than and do well w/ a good PG. Im not sure why Miami would do it, they do need size, but O'Neal seems done.

he's getting right around his career averages of 14/7 this year despite his injury troubles. I think playing next to a great passer like wade can do wonders for him. I think it didn't work out in toronto because he and bosh couldn't operate next to each other. the lane just isn't that big

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
To think, we almost had kevin garnett for this guy.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
I dunno about that. JO's is even quite a bit more gigantic then marions, he is injured all the time, plus marions contract is expiring this year. Marions expiring contract actually still has value, JO's is a titanic sized disaster.

OP
OP
arwillan

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
I dunno about that. JO's is even quite a bit more gigantic then marions, he is injured all the time, plus marions contract is expiring this year. Marions expiring contract actually still has value, JO's is a titanic sized disaster.

marion's contract is worth something, and in that sense it isn't a disaster. however, paying a guy 17.8 million for 12 points and 9 rebounds isn't exactly a bargain either. Heck, by that standard O'neal is valuable because his 21 million dollar deal expires at the end of next year (player option).

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
he's getting right around his career averages of 14/7 this year despite his injury troubles.

I don't think this is really a valid argument. O'Neal came straight out of HS and had his career averages pulled down by 4 seasons in a row of less than 5 points per game. O'Neal was a 20/10 guy in his prime, so 14/7 isn't probably what the Raptors hoped for. Or maybe it was considering all the injuries.

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
How ironic for Pat Riley!

J.O'neal's contract isn't expiring, it ends next year. This guy is making more money than our O'neal, 21M this season and 23M next!

Our O'neal is doing 21 + 10, 2 assists and 2bocks in Dec and Jan, and 70% FT. If I were Riley, I would need a full bottle of vodka to sleep every night.

OP
OP
arwillan

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
How ironic for Pat Riley!

J.O'neal's contract isn't expiring, it ends next year. This guy is making more money than our O'neal, 21M this season and 23M next!

Our O'neal is doing 21 + 10, 2 assists and 2bocks in Dec and Jan, and 70% FT. If I were Riley, I would need a full bottle of vodka to sleep every night.

he has a player option, which i didn't realize before. either way, it ends at the end of next year which gives miami some good cap room heading into the 2010 free agent summer

OP
OP
arwillan

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
I don't think this is really a valid argument. O'Neal came straight out of HS and had his career averages pulled down by 4 seasons in a row of less than 5 points per game. O'Neal was a 20/10 guy in his prime, so 14/7 isn't probably what the Raptors hoped for. Or maybe it was considering all the injuries.

to be honest i really have no idea what toronto wanted from him. i mean 14/7 aren't bad for a starting center (obviously it is for someone being paid what he is). But still, they took his contract knowing he would probably be a 15/10 guy max.

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
First of all, they wanted to get rid of T.J Ford who has a very long contract.

Then, they hoped J.O can transfer to a true center to cooperate with Bosh. But he is natually a PF, and, without much of basketball IQ. It doesn't work.

Meanwhile, it looks more like Miami trying to sell Marion b4 the deadline. U got to realise there will be ZERO value left for Miami after Feb.19. J.O's contract won't bother them in summer of 2010, there is not too much risk to try.

OP
OP
arwillan

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
They wanted some value out of T. J. Ford, for openers. Also, having O'Neal on the floor has made Bosh's job easier.

Okay, so they got something for Ford and they've made Bosh's job easier. Yet here they are, about to ship him out for Shawn Marion?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like this trade for Miami. Last time D Wade was matched with a competant center they won a title. In fact, if Shaq was playing for Miami this year and playing like he is this year....that team would be legit to win it all in the East IMO.

Now add a center with D Wade again and you give up Marion and Banks???? I don't see why Miami doesn't do this. Although, I am sort of confused on what the Raptors are really getting. Does adding Marion and Banks really make you better???

Wouldn't it be funny if the Raptors then turn around and swing a trade for a couple players to us in exchange for Nash???? Then you would have Nash, Banks and Marion back together again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
arwillan

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
I think toronto is going to try and push the ball a little more. Swapping marion and O'neal helps them do that.

I'm curious to see how wade works with O'neal. O'neal should be able to make the easy plays that wade will set him up for.

asudevil83

Reaction score
looks like this trade is pretty close to becoming official

Marion/Banks for O'neal/Moon

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Done deal. I don't see how this makes the Raptors a better team though. Banks and Marion don't make them better. I think they might be looking for Marion's expiring contract.

I think this is a good deal for Miami. I think Miam gets better.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boy, I dont like that trade for Miami at all.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boy, I dont like that trade for Miami at all.

Why? Banks wasn't getting any playing time and Marion has brought nothing to that team offensively or defensively.

It's not much of a gamble for Miami. If JO is healthy (which is a big if), they get a legit Center out of the deal. He is a very good defender at the Center spot. If he is not healthy, they really don't lose much. The upside is that if JO is healthy, I think they are legit contendors in the East again.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
A guy I work with says he used to see Marion at this chicken and waffles place in Phoenix all the time. Something tells me that will be a hard find in Toronto

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison