Malcom Butler

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If they feel more confident in him outside in base why move him inside ever? The biggest threats are never inside. If they feel he's the best option outside at all then keep him outside. Nickel CB's are 10 a penny.

Pick up Jimmy Moreland who played slot for Washington last year or Robey-Coleman or Rasul Douglas.

What you don;t do is more a guy you think is your best CB from the most important CB position to the least important CB position unless he;s shadowing their best receiver into the slot.
Ravens been doing this with Marlon Humphrey for years lol

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ravens been doing this with Marlon Humphrey for years lol

They did it for the last 2 years, and because they have good corners to play outside and only due to injuries to Tavon Young the last 2 seasons and lack of backup slot. It wasn't the intention starting the season.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
If they feel more confident in him outside in base why move him inside ever? The biggest threats are never inside. If they feel he's the best option outside at all then keep him outside. Nickel CB's are 10 a penny.

Pick up Jimmy Moreland who played slot for Washington last year or Robey-Coleman or Rasul Douglas.

What you don;t do is more a guy you think is your best CB from the most important CB position to the least important CB position unless he;s shadowing their best receiver into the slot.

I think the Cards may pick up a corner regardless because we are only carrying five right now but it’s not unheard of to have an outside corner move inside in nickel sets. Troy hill did it for the rams and Humphrey and Chris Harris also do this I believe. It’s more about a slot skill set but I actually think Wilson would fit this role better than Murphy with his quickness.

Last edited:

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Blame me for getting a tad bit excited about the secondary.
Gator, I was with you. I loved the vet/young buck mix and thought it could actually be a strength of this team. No Banjo, plus no Butler? Sheeez.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They did it for the last 2 years, and because they have good corners to play outside and only due to injuries to Tavon Young the last 2 seasons and lack of backup slot. It wasn't the intention starting the season.
It’s moot for the reason he’s playing in the slot. So why didn’t they move their inferior CBs in Peters or Jimmy Smith inside instead?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayo think of how insane it sounds to say that you’re more concerned with Byron than you are with Wilson

More concerned with the guy that had much better tape coming out of college & actually improved after his rookie year in the NFL where CB is notorious for being hardest on rookies to acclimate than the guy who was pretty much only good his freshman year, had a injury his Sophomore year, & has been super inconsistent since the injury. But since he played fairly well against Ben DiNucci & Shane Buechelle QB’d teams & showed his athleticism in street clothes, there’s less worry there.

I don’t think he’ll be another Brandon Williams because he actually played CB for more than a year, but that is insane homerism lmao good Lord.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayo think of how insane it sounds to say that you’re more concerned with Byron than you are with Wilson

More concerned with the guy that had much better tape coming out of college & actually improved after his rookie year in the NFL where CB is notorious for being hardest on rookies to acclimate than the guy who was pretty much only good his freshman year, had a injury his Sophomore year, & has been super inconsistent since the injury. But since he played fairly well against Ben DiNucci & Shane Buechelle QB’d teams & showed his athleticism in street clothes, there’s less worry there.

I don’t think he’ll be another Brandon Williams because he actually played CB for more than a year, but that is insane homerism lmao good Lord.
Im not sure Byron Murphy can play on the outside at good level, last year he was our best corner with a below average rating
I think Murphy can be an excellent safety
We don't know what Wilson can be, but probably has a higher ceiling playing outside corner in the nfl then Murphy

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Im not sure Byron Murphy can play on the outside at good level, last year he was our best corner with a below average rating
I think Murphy can be an excellent safety
We don't know what Wilson can be, but probably has a higher ceiling playing outside corner in the nfl then Murphy
When a guy cannot play tackle, we say he can play guard. When a guy cannot play corner back, we say he can play safety. Go ahead man, just go out and say what you want to say, you think he's not athletic enough to play the position lol

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When a guy cannot play tackle, we say he can play guard. When a guy cannot play corner back, we say he can play safety. Go ahead man, just go out and say what you want to say, you think he's not athletic enough to play the position lol
I think he struggle to stick with a receiver on the outside, doesn't have the speed and instict , plus his great ballhawks skills are wasted there

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see where we are in 6 weeks when Stephon Gilmore comes off the PUP list in NE, is still unhappy with his contract and might be available in a trade. I would assume if they don't keep him contenders are going to be vying for him so will be a contender at that point?

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see where we are in 6 weeks when Stephon Gilmore comes off the PUP list in NE, is still unhappy with his contract and might be available in a trade. I would assume if they don't keep him contenders are going to be vying for him so will be a contender at that point?

Doubtful IMO

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Murphy is a 5'11 corner back who runs a 4.55.

He is a slot guy, its going to be a disaster to ask him to play on the outside

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

He played outside a lot last year and wasn’t a catastrophe. He’s probably a league-average starting corner. We’ve been spoiled be having some really good cornerbacks lately, but he’s a fine #2 and good #3.
If we had three Byron Murphy-quality players we’d probably be a pretty good defense. But it’s likely that we have Murphy and two guys who are going to be substantially worse than him—a rookie and a guy who hasn’t played league-average football in over three years.

There isn’t a lot of whitewashing that.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Undrafted Malcolm Butler is 5'10 and ran a 4.62 on his pro day in 2013.

Imagine how slow he is now and, yet, no one suggests that he was or would be a 'disaster' on the outside.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

1. I didn't say Wilson would be better than Murphy. I quite clearly said he was unlikely to be. It's how I started the post in fact.

2. I'm more concerned about Murphy because the staff are putting a lot of expectation on him being good outside and I don't believe he will be. I don't even think he's good inside unless we are in zone. I think he's poor with his back to the QB, I think he's poor at mirroring, I think he's poor finding the ball if he can't keep him eyes on the QB. If he can sit off in zone and keep everything in front of him he's an average player. Otherwise I haven't seen anything from him in 2 years that suggests he's going to make an outside CB. Including his well below average physical profile.

I don't understand the Murphy love apart from him being a local kid. For all the hate Isabella gets for being pick #62 in that draft Byron Murphy was picked at #33, nearly 30 spots higher, and has been just as disappointing. On a points basis #33 is worth more than twice what #62 is and what we got so far was a below average slot CB that allows 68% completion rate, a passer rating over 100, 10 yards per completion and has one career INT.

I'm not quite sure how he's going to jump from below average slot to good outside in one off season. And yes, frankly I have have more faith in Wilson to be better outside by the end of the season, I hope I am wrong and Murphy does well. You're welcome to remember the post and bring it up then.

Height5' 10¾"34
Weight190 lbs38
Wingspan71⅜"4
Arm Length30⅛"9
Hand Size8⅞"25
40 Yard Dash4.55s28
Vertical Jump36½"59
Broad Jump120"36
Bench Press14 reps44

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
lots of zone, zone, zone, zone this year......

curious to see if new personnel are better than last years

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I think we will see a ton of zone behind that DLine as well. We will want to keep one eye on the QB for all of those quick reads and errant tosses. Any significant pass rusher injuries could quickly spell disaster for our entire defensive unit.

Personally though........ I think we may lead the league in PI's and maybe even PI yardage this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson