LVCARDFREAK

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Your posts about Pace have been enlightneing. Like you suggest, most here have probably rarely if ever saw the guy play. I can honestly say I watch part of one WF game this year and that was it. Do me a favor. Give us your assessment again on Pace so we can separate it from the craziness and everyone can read what someone who has actually seen a decent amount of this guy playing thinks.

I admit I am still a bit disappointed but you have at least brought info into the conversations that has softened my stance on the pick.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Pace

I watched Pace carefully in the Wake Forest bowl game.....and I was impressed with a one legged guy (maybe he was Long Dong Silver).....he was still suffering from a leg injury and the guy was limping....but he still got to the QB!!!

I know all of you frikkin experts disagree.....I coached high school football but I'm still stupid....and he may turn out to be a dud......but he looks like someone who can play NFL defensive end on a regular basis.

Will he be the best pass rusher ever? Doubtful

Will he get zero sacks? Doubtful

Will he and Dennis Johnson make a decent rotation at defensive end? Yes

I vacation in North Carolina and we'll be staying in Winston-Salem this summer....I'll get some more poop for ya.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Re: Pace

Originally posted by BuckeyeCardinal
I watched Pace carefully in the Wake Forest bowl game.....and I was impressed with a one legged guy (maybe he was Long Dong Silver).....he was still suffering from a leg injury and the guy was limping....but he still got to the QB!!!

I know all of you frikkin experts disagree.....I coached high school football but I'm still stupid....and he may turn out to be a dud......but he looks like someone who can play NFL defensive end on a regular basis.

I vacation in North Carolina and we'll be staying in Winston-Salem this summer....I'll get some more poop for ya.

Thanks! You know we all like POOP!

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Ken

Funny stuff.....you're rapidly becoming my fave poster.....but let's not hold hands and sing Koombaya.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Re: Pace

I always watch Wake play, considering the fact that my hometown is Wake Forest, NC (Wake County) and former home of Wake Forest University.

I liked Pace, and I actually had us taking him in my mock.....

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
Your posts about Pace have been enlightneing. Like you suggest, most here have probably rarely if ever saw the guy play. I can honestly say I watch part of one WF game this year and that was it. Do me a favor. Give us your assessment again on Pace so we can separate it from the craziness and everyone can read what someone who has actually seen a decent amount of this guy playing thinks.

I admit I am still a bit disappointed but you have at least brought info into the conversations that has softened my stance on the pick.

Ok, before I begin, let me say for the record that I was and still am against the trade down. I didnt like Suggs at 6 but I wanted Leftwich, but thats neither here nor there. Second, Pace was a reach at 18 but considering there were , what 12 d-lineman taken in the first round, he was the best selection avaialble (especially after the Eagles jumped ahead of the Cards)

What I like: His obvious measurables...6'6 270lbs and could probably play at 280lbs w/o loosing any quickness. Speed-he has a very quick first step, although he is not a prototypical "Fast" guy. (His 40 times were only average-take it for what you will) He has a nice wingspan and great upper body strength. (I saw him push the tackle from Maryland through the backfield and onto the QB last year.) and yes, he can play the run. He broke all WF records for tackles for losses and he has a quick knifing move that gets him in the backfield in a hurry. He has the 'classic' motor and doesnt give up if taken out of the play.
Very respectful towards all the caoching staff and is very very coachable. WF's coaches , prior to the draft, said they believe he could be the steal and with his work ethic felt he could be in the league a very long time! They also felt like he was the best athlete on the WF defense and used him in pass coverage on certian situations last year.

What I think he needs-coaching. He relies on his quickness and determination to get to the QB or RB and needs to learn a few more ;'NFL' style pass rush moves. Although he has a nice motor, I did notice him gasping and a little winded when playing last year, but having said that the WF defense was on the field an awful lot during some games last year.

Overall it is the best pick there and think he wil be a very good NFL player. He is a quick read and should have no problems picking up the defense. Will he be a stud? could happen, but at the very least he will be a very good NFL DE

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Re: Ken

Funny stuff.....you're rapidly becoming my fave poster.....but let's not hold hands and sing Koombaya.

Do you like Gladiator movies?

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Re: Ken

I hope this is not a Plummer/Tago thing... :D

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Re: Re: LVCARDFREAK

Originally posted by LVCARDFREAK
Ok, before I begin, let me say for the record that I was and still am against the trade down. I didnt like Suggs at 6 but I wanted Leftwich, but thats neither here nor there. Second, Pace was a reach at 18 but considering there were , what 12 d-lineman taken in the first round, he was the best selection avaialble (especially after the Eagles jumped ahead of the Cards)

What I like: His obvious measurables...6'6 270lbs and could probably play at 280lbs w/o loosing any quickness. Speed-he has a very quick first step, although he is not a prototypical "Fast" guy. (His 40 times were only average-take it for what you will) He has a nice wingspan and great upper body strength. (I saw him push the tackle from Maryland through the backfield and onto the QB last year.) and yes, he can play the run. He broke all WF records for tackles for losses and he has a quick knifing move that gets him in the backfield in a hurry. He has the 'classic' motor and doesnt give up if taken out of the play.
Very respectful towards all the caoching staff and is very very coachable. WF's coaches , prior to the draft, said they believe he could be the steal and with his work ethic felt he could be in the league a very long time! They also felt like he was the best athlete on the WF defense and used him in pass coverage on certian situations last year.

What I think he needs-coaching. He relies on his quickness and determination to get to the QB or RB and needs to learn a few more ;'NFL' style pass rush moves. Although he has a nice motor, I did notice him gasping and a little winded when playing last year, but having said that the WF defense was on the field an awful lot during some games last year.

Overall it is the best pick there and think he wil be a very good NFL player. He is a quick read and should have no problems picking up the defense. Will he be a stud? could happen, but at the very least he will be a very good NFL DE

Oh and one added note to all you Cards bashers, the Giants had called Pace to tell him he was their selction in the first round prior to the Cards drafting him AND the Eagles had contacted Pace's agent the day prior to inquire what it would take to sign him if he were a first round pick...He really wasnt that far off the radar screen for all NFL teams

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Re: Re: LVCARDFREAK

Where did he line up most RDE or LDE? Also, can I deduce that he is good against the run...by good I mean better than average?

Wake Forest questions: What type of defense did they play? Blitzing? Bend don't break? Zone coverage, man to man?

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
I had to rack my brain over and over but eventually I realized where I'd seen Calvin Pace before . . .

While watching my beloved Purdue Boilermakers play what I presumed would be a gimme game against Wake Forest, I was in absolute shock to see that the Wake Forest DL was getting into Purdue's backfield and disrupting our passing game all friggin day. One pesky DE in particular (you can see where this is going).

Still, Purdue marched down the field and looked to take the lead when a pass in the red zone was knocked down . . . by Calvin Pace. Wake Forest held on to win.

Okay, this guy can definitely play. I wanted Suggs more than anything but he's not on the team, Pace is. Let's hope the new DE coach can help this guy make that step and become the pass rusher we need.

seesred

Reaction score
The more I read about Pace the bigger I'm becoming as his greatest fan.Pace is a hard working kid with plenty of developed talent with a lot more upside. He is a huge man both in hieght and weight yet after seeing him he is in great shape.

We will see what we will see but as of right now I'm glad the couple of mistakes turned into Our new DE Pace number 79!

GBR

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: LVCARDFREAK

Where did he line up most RDE or LDE? Also, can I deduce that he is good against the run...by good I mean better than average?

Wake Forest questions: What type of defense did they play? Blitzing? Bend don't break? Zone coverage, man to man?

He was RDE at WF. Yes he was solid against the run-he is not, like some people think- a situational pass rusher (of course that also depends on how well he will pick up the defense) Like I said, broke all WF tackle-for-loss records, yes he is better than avergae against the run

WF questions-could not stop teams form apssing on them all day. At one point they went to a 4-2-5 defense with one of the two linebackers really a strong safety playing the pass. The beggining of the year they were run on a lot but really held offenses in check against the run the second half od the season. Stopping the passing game was their biggest problem. They played a fairly conservative defense and used zone blitzes mainly to put pressure on the QB in 3rd and long or 2nd and long and played almost exclusivly zone pass coverages. The few times they did play man, the CB's were on their heels 20 yards off the ball. They relied a lot on their defense to strengthen inside the 20 and it did work for them quite a bit.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Originally posted by mdamien13
I had to rack my brain over and over but eventually I realized where I'd seen Calvin Pace before . . .

While watching my beloved Purdue Boilermakers play what I presumed would be a gimme game against Wake Forest, I was in absolute shock to see that the Wake Forest DL was getting into Purdue's backfield and disrupting our passing game all friggin day. One pesky DE in particular (you can see where this is going).

Still, Purdue marched down the field and looked to take the lead when a pass in the red zone was knocked down . . . by Calvin Pace. Wake Forest held on to win.

Okay, this guy can definitely play. I wanted Suggs more than anything but he's not on the team, Pace is. Let's hope the new DE coach can help this guy make that step and become the pass rusher we need.

Yes I remember that game...Pace was in the backfield all game long and they held on to beat Purdue. He is very adapt (at least in college) of keeping his head in the play and swatting down passes

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's hope the new DE coach can help this guy make that step and become the pass rusher we need.
Speaking of that, what do we know about the new DE coach. Is he any good? Will he be better than what we've had? Does he report to Mean Joe? Or to Marmie?

We desperately need every guy on our D-Line to get measurably better.

We haven't seen that kind of improvement in the past. I sure hope the new dude can work wonders.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: LVCARDFREAK

He was RDE at WF. Yes he was solid against the run-he is not, like some people think- a situational pass rusher (of course that also depends on how well he will pick up the defense) Like I said, broke all WF tackle-for-loss records, yes he is better than avergae against the run

WF questions-could not stop teams form apssing on them all day. At one point they went to a 4-2-5 defense with one of the two linebackers really a strong safety playing the pass. The beggining of the year they were run on a lot but really held offenses in check against the run the second half od the season. Stopping the passing game was their biggest problem. They played a fairly conservative defense and used zone blitzes mainly to put pressure on the QB in 3rd and long or 2nd and long and played almost exclusivly zone pass coverages. The few times they did play man, the CB's were on their heels 20 yards off the ball. They relied a lot on their defense to strengthen inside the 20 and it did work for them quite a bit.

Did Pace face alot of double-teams? Or put different, did you get the sense watching that teams were somehow scheming to take care of him?

Also, was he a 4 year starter? How was his junior year compared to his senior year?

Thanks for the info by the way.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LVCARDFREAK

Did Pace face alot of double-teams? Or put different, did you get the sense watching that teams were somehow scheming to take care of him?

Also, was he a 4 year starter? How was his junior year compared to his senior year?

Thanks for the info by the way.

4 year guy and very consitent (or some might argue didnt improve i guess) but avergae about 10 sacks ayear through out.

Yes teams schemed against him because, he was probably the best athlete on the field most of the time. Teams passed so much against them he was usually hit by the tackle then chipped by the RB instead of straight up double teams. He was definatly a presecense on the field.

You ahve to remember too that when he came to school at WF he was a 215-200lb linebacker. He bulked up in the weight room and has tremendous upper body strength. I know at WF he was the guy pushing everyone else int he weight room as WF didint have much of a weight and conditioning program prior to Jim Grobes arrival as head coach. He will be able to put on weight if needed, but if he develops some pass rushing moves and with his quicxkness and motor I dont think he will have to!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard