Lutui is the choice

SMAC

Nobody Beats the Wiz!
Reaction score
Cards take Lutui, good pick I'd probably would have taken Winston.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SMAC said:
Cards take Lutui, good pick I'd probably would have taken Winston.

WOuld have much rather had Winston or Pope. But Hey we got Leinart. :D

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Strengths: Is one of the biggest OL prospects in the 2006 class. He has rare overall size; is a tall, wide-body with massive bulk. He will engulfs defenders at the POA. He has adequate lower body strength and will be able to drive defenders off the line of scrimmage if he gets good positioning and plays with leverage. He rarely loses a battle once he has locked on. He can anchor vs. the biggest and strongest bull rushers. He actually has impressive short-area agility for his size. He plays with decent balance in pass pro and is able to mirror-and-slide when he is set properly. He has a good deal of upside because of his feet for such a massive player.

Weaknesses: He has quick feet in the short area for his size, but his speed is marginal. The more space he's in the less effective he becomes. He carries around too much weight and becomes sluggish as games wear on. He has trouble getting to the second level in time as a downfield run blocker. He will get over-extended too often and will be forced to lunge or leave his feet. Lacks ideal body control. He has much room for improvement with his footwork, pass-pro set, angles as a run blocker and overall hand-placement. Is a massive lineman but does not have the natural strength that would be expected. He does not possess explosive power at the point of attack.

Overall: Lutui signed with Utah in 2002 but did not qualify academically, which led to him enrolling at Mesa Community College. He transferred to Snow Junior College (Utah) in 2003, when he was named to the 2003 J.C. Grid-Wire All-American first team, National Junior College Athletic Association All-American first team, Super Prep JUCO 100 and All-Western States Football League first team as a sophomore offensive lineman. He transferred to USC in the fall of 2004 and started all 13 games at right tackle for the Trojans that season. Lutui was moved inside to the left guard position in 2005 (following Winston Justice's return from suspension) and has been a fulltime starter at that position during his senior year. Lutui is a massive offensive guard/right tackle prospect with experience at both spots. His massive frame and impressive feet give him great NFL potential. He also has made noticeable strides over the course of his two seasons at USC. However, the team that selects Lutui will need to be patient with his development. He still needs a lot of polishing in terms of his technique, he must improve his overall power, and weight fluctuation will always be a concern. As it stands right now, Lutui grades out as a second round prospect in the 2006 class.

* Player biographies are provided by Scouts Inc.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Denny always said he liked taking guys from winning programs...I guess this draft counts big time.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
golfcardfan said:
why don't you like the pick? who would you have taken?

Winston easily over lutui or Pope! :thumbup:

HooverDam

Reaction score
Hm, this seemed to early to pick this guy. Why not Pope? Weird. Well at least we got Leinart

OP
OP
SMAC

SMAC

Nobody Beats the Wiz!
Reaction score
Maybe Denny will go for the USC trifecta by taking Darnell Bing S from USC!

golfcardfan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Its a solid good OL how can you possibly complain, I mean I hope we take all OL men the rest of the draft thats our problem we need to fix!

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Medical concerns with Winston could be holding some teams back, including us. Considering how much our O-Line has been injured, that's probably a big concern with the coaching staff.

golfcardfan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wow I thought Denny would have taken Lendale but I am not gonna complain about getting good OLinemen we are in desperate need of an OL

OP
OP
SMAC

SMAC

Nobody Beats the Wiz!
Reaction score
Eric Winston is a stud athlete. I saw him play h.s. ball in Midland Texas. He originally enrolled as a TE. Lutui is a hoss in the middle and is a good pick I just preferred Winston who could play Left Tackle if needed. I'm hoping for Bing in the 3rd round. We might as well go for three players from the most elite college football program in the past three years.