Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lord Reigns at Lions Gate Films
Source: Lions Gate Films
April 28, 2005

Lions Gate Films, the motion picture acquisition, production and distribution arm of Lions Gate Entertainment, has acquired all North American distribution rights to the riveting action thriller Lord of War, written and directed by Academy Award nominee Andrew Niccol, starring Nicolas Cage, Jared Leto, Bridget Moynahan and Ethan Hawke, it was announced today by Jon Feltheimer, Chief Executive Officer of Lions Gate Entertainment.

"Andrew has crafted a powerful and provocative film torn from today's headlines, giving audiences a chilling insider's look into the international world of gunrunning," said Feltheimer. "'Lord of War' does for weapons smuggling what 'Blow' did for drug smuggling. 'Lord of War' is a trademark Lions Gate movie -- controversial, compelling and enormously entertaining, all at the same time."

"'Lord of War' is a provocative and timely edge-of-your-seat thriller that will appeal to a broad audience," said Tom Ortenberg, President, Lions Gate Films Releasing. "We are delighted to distribute the work of such a revolutionary filmmaker and talented ensemble cast, and we are looking forward to working closely with filmmakers Andrew Niccol and Nicolas Cage to maximize the film's obvious commercial appeal. At a time when the potential of arms smuggling has raised the stakes to new highs, 'Lord of War' is as chilling as it is thrilling."

"Lions Gate Films has proven their ability to take controversial, button- pushing material and make it part of the national conversation," said Cage.

Niccol is the visionary and avant-garde filmmaker who wrote and directed such prophetic films as Gattaca and S1m0ne and was nominated for an Academy Award for his original screenplay for The Truman Show. Other writing credits include The Terminal.

Lord of War, which is currently in post production, is the story of an arms dealer (Cage) who reevaluates the morality of his occupation while on the run from an Interpol agent (Hawke). The film was financed by Philippe Rousselet and Andrew Niccol's company Entertainment Manufacturing Company alongside the German fund VIP. Foreign sales are being handled through Archlight. It was produced by Niccol, Rousselet, Cage, Norm Golightly, Andreas Grosch, and Chris Roberts. Lions Gate Films will distribute the film nationwide.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lord of War

Release Date: September 16, 2005
Studio: Lions Gate Films
Director: Andrew Niccol
Screenwriter: Andrew Niccol
Genre: Action, Drama, Thriller
MPAA Rating: Not Available

Starring: Nicolas Cage, Jared Leto, Bridget Moynahan, Ethan Hawke, Eamonn Walker, Ian Holm, Sammi Rotibi, Steve J. Termath, Nalu Tripician, Patrick Walton Jr.

Plot Summary: "Lord of War" is an action adventure story set in the world of international arms dealing. The film, based on fact, follows the globetrotting exploits of arms dealer Yuri Orlov (Nicolas Cage). Through some of the deadliest war zones, Yuri struggles to stay one step ahead of a relentless Interpol agent (Ethan Hawke), his business rivals, even some of his customers who include many of the world's most notorious dictators. Finally, Yuri must also face his own conscience.

Attachments

• lordofwar.jpg
    lordofwar.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 122

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went and saw this yesterday btw...

Nicholas Cage really does a fantastic job in this, but the overall movie is very depressing. Cage plays a ne'er do well Arms Dealer. The movie plays out like a visual auto-biography, with Cage narrating most of the movie.

It was hard to really like the movie since the protagonist is such a sleeze, but overall it was worth the matinee price.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout said:
Wow, went back to find this post. You've changed tune somewhat, eh Chris?

I posted that shortly after seeing it. The movie ticked me off, which is retrospect makes it a good movie since it evoked such emotion.

Rarely am I thinking about a movie several days later.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good flick. I watched it last night and find myself thinking about it this morning. I like that in a movie.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Good flick. I watched it last night and find myself thinking about it this morning. I like that in a movie.

That is exactly what happened to me. It really made me think that all the debating done in P&R is just so pointless because the world in reality is a damn dirty place and people get paid a lot of money to keep it that way.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this over the weekend...

I liked it...depressing, yes, but very well done.

jibikao

Reaction score
This movie is REALLY good. I just rented it and saw it. I thought it's an action flick by the look of the cover. lol

It's definitely a Dark Comedy film.

Well, I sell firearms myself so I am somewhat interested in this film. :)

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I just watched it. Wow, what a great movie. Some of those parts in Africa made me a little sick to my stomach. I really liked the parts with Ethan Hawke. It must be nearly impossible to resist the temptation to just take out Yuri.

I read on IMDB’s trivia section that before they filmed the part with the tanks, they had to warn NATO. Otherwise their satellite images would indicate to them that a real war may be getting started.