Looks like we may luck into the best possible scenario

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
With the seedings the way they are, if Houston can hold onto the 3 seed, there is a good chance we could get Houston in the first round, and the winner of the New Orleans/Dallas series in the 2nd round. I couldn't imagine a better path.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I don't think it matters. If the Suns play up to their potential they can beat anybody. If they phone it in like the Dallas 4th quarter and Houston they can just as easily lose to anybody.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
I don't think Houston is the pushover everyone hopes they are though. I think the Suns are definately a better team then Houston, but the Rockets match well with the Suns and that would be a difficult match. The Suns best match for the 1st round, surprisingly, would be the Spurs. I really don't think the Spurs can match Phoenix this year. Houston could potentially give the Suns a problem.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
I want the scenario that gives us Houston in the first round and San Antonio in the second, but I don't think that's possible.

It would be nice now if the Kings knock off the Lakers. I'd like to see Hornets, Lakers, and Rockets as 1-2-3, respectively.

Ninjafish

Registered
Reaction score
I want the scenario that gives us Houston in the first round and San Antonio in the second, but I don't think that's possible.

It would be nice now if the Kings knock off the Lakers. I'd like to see Hornets, Lakers, and Rockets as 1-2-3, respectively.

I don't get how any Suns fan could not want to meet the Spurs now that we finally have a team designed to beat them. We need revenge for last year too! I'll be really disappointed if we don't face the Spurs.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
I personally want to meet the Spurs, Mavs, Lakers, in that order, this post-season.

FTW

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not gonna happen, rockets have at den tonight, at utah tomorrow. They will fall to 5, and suns get at utah,new orleans or san antonio.

They screwed themselves friday.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I don't think Houston is the pushover everyone hopes they are though. I think the Suns are definately a better team then Houston, but the Rockets match well with the Suns and that would be a difficult match. The Suns best match for the 1st round, surprisingly, would be the Spurs. I really don't think the Spurs can match Phoenix this year. Houston could potentially give the Suns a problem.

How exactly do they match up well in a 7 game series, I don't think they, match up at all. Examples, would be nice.

Some questions.

How would Houston solve Amare? I didn't see anyone that could guard him all year.
How do they solve Shaq over 7 games?
Can you count on Mutombo to put together consistent defensive performances 7 games?
T-Mac is hurt, he played well against the Suns but has looked average for weeks, how is he going to put together 4 dominating performances?
Scola had a great game but he is a 10/6 guy, can he put up 20/10 in 7 games? I am guessing 15/8 max over 7 games.

French Fries

Mangaworm
Reaction score
How exactly do they match up well in a 7 game series, I don't think they, match up at all. Examples, would be nice.

Some questions.

How would Houston solve Amare? I didn't see anyone that could guard him all year.
Can you count on Mutombo to put together consistent defensive performances 7 games?
T-Mac is hurt, he played well against the Suns but has looked average for weeks, how is he going to put together 4 dominating performances?
Scola had a great game but he is a 10/6 guy, can he put up 20/10 in 7 games? I am guessing 15/8 max over 7 games.

:thumbup:

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nuggets up 88-67 after 3 quarters. Nuggets shooting 47% and the Rockets 33%. Why couldn't the Rockets have shot like crap vs us? :( Oh well. Nuggets have 37 fast break points and 17 points off 16 Rockets turnovers.

Mavs down 81-78 to the Sonics after 3 quarters.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score

Some questions.

All good questions, and the answer simply is.. I don't know.

On paper, the Suns should be far superior to the Rockets, yet for some reason it doesn't seem to work out that way. The Suns split the season series 2-2 with Houston, and they were all competitive games. The best advantage Houston has is the fact that they have a lot of good shooters who spread the floor which is the achilies heel of the Phoenix Suns. The Suns big advantage should be that low post presence but for some reason, they don't seem to exploit it. Phoeinx is better at PG, Center and Power Forward, absolutely no doubt. The matchup should favor the Suns, but the Rockets seem to find a way to make things hard on Phoenix.

If the Suns stick to a steady game plan of feeding the paint, they should be fine, but they don't seem to like doing that. Why, I don't know. It would be interesting to see how it plays out in a series, I won't argue Phoenix is the better team, just sometimes for whatever reason, the best team doesn't always win. Judging by the regular season though, it could be a long series. I would be surprised if Phoenix actually lost though.

Ode to Ocho

Registered
Reaction score

Houston has no post presence without Yao -- which is death in the playoffs. They are not getting out of the first round and it doesn't matter who they play.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score

On paper, the Suns should be far superior to the Rockets, yet for some reason it doesn't seem to work out that way. The Suns split the season series 2-2 with Houston, and they were all competitive games. The best advantage Houston has is the fact that they have a lot of good shooters who spread the floor which is the achilies heel of the Phoenix Suns. The Suns big advantage should be that low post presence but for some reason, they don't seem to exploit it. Phoeinx is better at PG, Center and Power Forward, absolutely no doubt. The matchup should favor the Suns, but the Rockets seem to find a way to make things hard on Phoenix.

If the Suns stick to a steady game plan of feeding the paint, they should be fine, but they don't seem to like doing that. Why, I don't know. It would be interesting to see how it plays out in a series, I won't argue Phoenix is the better team, just sometimes for whatever reason, the best team doesn't always win. Judging by the regular season though, it could be a long series. I would be surprised if Phoenix actually lost though.

The thing I love about the NBA is the series format. To me you really find the true champ in a series because anyone can have a great game or even 2 but it takes adjustments and will to win 4 in a 7 game series. Momentum shifts so many times that usually the best team comes out on top in the end.

For the Rockets to win. They would need

T Mac to put up 25 plus every game and shoot better than 45%.

Battier would need to shut down the Suns hot shooter, Barbosa/Bell/Nash or Hill. If multiples are hot, game over.

Houston needs Mutombo and Scola to not get in foul trouble in 4 games.

Alston needs to play 22 win streak Alston.

Their young guys need to play out of their minds.

Here is how I would see the series breaking down

Game 1: Phoenix
Game 2: Houston
Game 3: Phoenix
Game 4: Phoenix
Game 5: Houston
Game 6: Phoenix.

Suns in 6.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

A lot of good shooters? But the Rockets shoot only 45.1% from the field and 34.2% from the 3.

I think the biggest problems we've had against the Rockets have been turnovers and 2nd chance points. In 3 of the 4 games, the Rockets had about 20 or more second chance points. In 3 of the 4 games, the Suns have had 15 or more turnovers. Meanwhile the Rockets had under 10 turnovers in 3 of the 4 games.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Yeah Houston is one of the worst FG% teams in the conference, only trailed by seattle, portland, and the clippers.

Granted, they are "shooters" but as Rasheed Wallace puts it, they arent "shotters."

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
A lot of good shooters? But the Rockets shoot only 45.1% from the field and 34.2% from the 3.

I think the biggest problems we've had against the Rockets have been turnovers and 2nd chance points. In 3 of the 4 games, the Rockets had about 20 or more second chance points. In 3 of the 4 games, the Suns have had 15 or more turnovers. Meanwhile the Rockets had under 10 turnovers in 3 of the 4 games.

Yes, but twice this year they have shot over 50% against the Suns. I know they don't shoot well as a team against the rest of the league, but they are hot and cold against Phoenix. They shot really well twice and really poorly twice. They are shooting 46.8% against the Suns for the season, which isn't scorching, but isn't terrible either.

Again, I don't think the Rockets can beat Phoenix in a series, I just think it might not be as easy as people think. I don't have much respect for the Rockets, I admit that, but I do respect the fact that when they play well, they are a very good team. They are very jekyl and hyde however, and cannot put together enough good games to beat Phoenix in a series.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Yes, but twice this year they have shot over 50% against the Suns. I know they don't shoot well as a team against the rest of the league, but they are hot and cold against Phoenix. They shot really well twice and really poorly twice. They are shooting 46.8% against the Suns for the season, which isn't scorching, but isn't terrible either.

Again, I don't think the Rockets can beat Phoenix in a series, I just think it might not be as easy as people think. I don't have much respect for the Rockets, I admit that, but I do respect the fact that when they play well, they are a very good team. They are very jekyl and hyde however, and cannot put together enough good games to beat Phoenix in a series.

Everybody shoots well against the Suns, lol

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Heck, I don't know what to think about the Suns. As soon as it looks like they're ready to be championship contenders, they flush one down the toilet and look like they're doomed. As soon as they mail one in, they come back and have a stellar effort. They're wildly inconsistent. I don't know if they can maintain the necessary consistency to make a title run; I sincerely hope so, but I just don't know.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
How is not getting homecourt advantage in any round and currently setting up to play SAS, winner of Dallas/New Orleans, and then the Lakers/Jazz winner a dream scenario? I think if the ball bounces their way they might be able to do it, but running that gauntlet is a freaking nightmare.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort