Lincoln

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I take it you haven't seen Cloud Atlas then? Critics were lukewarm with it, but not sure why--maybe they were too bored, but Life of Pi looks A LOT more boring to me.

BTW, I LOVED Cloud Atlas. And Lincoln. And Argo. Wouldn't be upset if either of them won Best Pic.

I saw Cloud Atlas. Admired it a lot for the undertaking of the sheer size an scope of the movie but was really only totally sucked in by three of the stories, liked a fourth and didn't care much for the other two.

Definitely going to see Life Of Pi on big screen 3D tho. Looking forward to seeing what Ang Lee did with that book and how he worked that large of a canvas.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I didn't think Spielberg still had this level of greatness in him.

Wow. I'm surprised to hear you say that. Schindler's List has to be one of the best movies made. Ever. If anyone could pull this movie off, it's Spielberg.

I'm not knocking you I greatly respect your opinion, especially on matters like this. Just surprised.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You Hollywood people are making it hard for me to understand what you are talking about.. With your fancy schmancy words..

Is it so had to give a critique of a movie with phrases like "this movie kicked ass" or "this movie sucked balls"? Geesh

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You Hollywood people are making it hard for me to understand what you are talking about.. With your fancy schmancy words..

Is it so had to give a critique of a movie with phrases like "this movie kicked ass" or "this movie sucked balls"? Geesh

This movie kicked ass

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

lol... really? didn't realize calling something a "masterpiece" or "knocked out of the park" was fancy schmancy and hard to understand.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. I'm surprised to hear you say that. Schindler's List has to be one of the best movies made. Ever. If anyone could pull this movie off, it's Spielberg.

I'm not knocking you I greatly respect your opinion, especially on matters like this. Just surprised.

note I say i was surprised Spielberg still had this in him. Haven't seen anything approaching Schindler's List for a very long time from him. Loved the first 40 minutes of Saving Private Ryan but thought the movie was just okay after. Munich was very solid, but not great. Warhorse was awful IMO. And his popcorn movies, outside of Catch Me If You Can (which I actually think is his best movie in the last decade), have been mediocre (Minority Report/ to downright bad (Tintin/Indy 4/The Terminal).

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
note I say i was surprised Spielberg still had this in him. Haven't seen anything approaching Schindler's List for a very long time from him. Loved the first 40 minutes of Saving Private Ryan but thought the movie was just okay after. Munich was very solid, but not great. Warhorse was awful IMO. And his popcorn movies, outside of Catch Me If You Can (which I actually think is his best movie in the last decade), have been mediocre (Minority Report/ to downright bad (Tintin/Indy 4/The Terminal).

Gotcha. Yeah I feel the same way about SPR. It was good and entertaining, but plot wise it was pretty flat.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
I saw this movie a couple weekends back with my wife. She didn't particularly like it, but I LOVED it. Of course, I'm the political junkie and this movie showed the inside baseball, the arm twisting, the smoke-filled rooms, the back-door dealings - all the dirt. I haven't read this thread, but I don't want to cause it to go into a P&R direction. I'll just say that this movie made me appreciate our current political structure - because it's damned near the same thing on a lesser scope....

AZZenny

Reaction score
Stunning movie -- and I don't like Spielberg as a general rule. DDL inhabited Lincoln.

and yeah - the more things change the more they stay the same. I don't even believe for a minute the backroom maneuvering is on a lesser scale --

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Possibly the best movie I have ever seen. Best screenplay for sure.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I saw this movie a couple weekends back with my wife. She didn't particularly like it, this movie showed the inside baseball, the arm twisting, the smoke-filled rooms, the back-door dealings - all the dirt.

This is why I didn't like it either. Politics bore me to death - I almost fell asleep during this movie.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
In a word - WOW!! Just saw it today and was captivated throughout... didn't want it to end actually!

DDL should easily win an Oscar. He was absolutely amazing! What a great, GREAT movie!

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a word - WOW!! Just saw it today and was captivated throughout... didn't want it to end actually!

DDL should easily win an Oscar. He was absolutely amazing! What a great, GREAT movie!

Absolutely agree. Wow. Just WOW!

wagon mound 464

Veteran
Reaction score
Excellent movie! If you like history, with a twist of politics included, don't miss seeing this one. If you don't care for history or war scenes, go clean out the garage or see another movie.

Daniel Day-Lewis was absolutely brilliant,,,,as he was in the Streets of New York back in 2002.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent movie! If you like history, with a twist of politics included, don't miss seeing this one. If you don't care for history or war scenes, go clean out the garage or see another movie.

Daniel Day-Lewis was absolutely brilliant,,,,as he was in the Streets of New York back in 2002.

Ah-HEM!! I believe that would be "Gangs of New York."

"Streets of New York" is a restaurant chain....

:D

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw it last night.. It's was good.. Enjoyed it I guess.. When the opening scenes of battle happened I thought to myself this was going to be a great movie.. Then it was 2 and a half hours of talking.. Still interesting but not the greatest ovie ever made..

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
It was very good. It's slow-paced (of necessity), and isn't a movie I would want to watch over and over, but man, was it solid! DD Lewis probably just wrapped up best actor. It really touched home for me, as a social worker, too. Fantastic movie, and not at all what I expected.

Fascinating film. Very slow indeed, which was perfect. It gave you time to sit back and enjoy these amazing performances.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Daniel Day Lewis was superb, as usual.

Interesting thing about the way really great actors go about their work. Lewis totally immerses himself in his part, becoming the person he is portraying for the duration of the filming.

Contrast this with Anthony Hopkins, who when asked if he did the same thing when making a film, said, Lord no.... it's just a job. I show up for work and do the part (pretty close to what he actually said).

I guess whatever works for you.....

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard