Lincoln

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
IMO, Leonardo Dicaprio is the greatest actor today. And he doesnt act all crazy reclusive and picky. He takes any movie that comes by and kills it everytime.

Yeah, no, I have to disagree completely and utterly. You have Daniel Day Lewis, Gary Oldman, and quite a few other actors that stand head and shoulders above him.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah, no, I have to disagree completely and utterly. You have Daniel Day Lewis, Gary Oldman, and quite a few other actors that stand head and shoulders above him.

Im talking about Modern day actors.

Thats why I didnt mention guys like Al Pacino

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images attach

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

What's your definition of "Modern Day" actors? You know DiCaprio is 38 years old and not part of the new Ryan Gosling generation, right?

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently he stays in character 24/7 for the duration of an entire movie filming.

I saw Liam Neeson tell about the filming of "Gangs of New York." He said that every morning when he and Lewis would show up at the gym, Lewis would just glare at him and say "mornin, Priest...." While this apparently works for Lewis, it sounds pretty creepy.....

Stout

Reaction score

What are you, like, twelve? You realize DD Lewis is having a movie released, Oldman was just in TDKR, and Pacino has six movies getting ready to come out? That's the definition of 'modern day actors'.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What's your definition of "Modern Day" actors? You know DiCaprio is 38 years old and not part of the new Ryan Gosling generation, right?

Sub 40-ish.

Gary oldman, Pacino, DD Lewis, all the rest of them currently on your mind: 50's and beyond.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love Lincoln. I love Daniel-Day Lewis. I love Tommy Lee Jones.

This movie still looks wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over the top and not pleasant. I hope the trailer is no indication of what the movie will be like.

Ya.. I was excited to see a movie about Lincoln.. But after that trailor I'm not so sure I'm excited anymore..

I like Tommy Lee Jones.. But have no idea who Daniel Day Lewis is other than hearing his name once or twice.. Googled him and never seen a movie he was in..

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Nooooo...modern actors, by definition, would be the actors of today...you know, actors currently acting. So, care to redefine what you mean?

Modern day actors are actors who learned how to act by watching great actors like Pacino and DD Lewis.

It doesnt matter when their movie was made.

Thats like saying the Bible is a modern day book because its still in print.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Modern day actors are actors who learned how to act by watching great actors like Pacino and DD Lewis.

It doesnt matter when their movie was made.

Thats like saying the Bible is a modern day book because its still in print.

Simply not true. Modern actors aren't called modern because they learned from antique actors. A lot of actors went to, you know, a school that teaches acting. In fact, most actors of today learn acting in the theater before learning how to act in movies or television.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Simply not true. Modern actors aren't called modern because they learned from antique actors. A lot of actors went to, you know, a school that teaches acting. In fact, most actors of today learn acting in the theater before learning how to act in movies or television.

Thats how its always been. Thats not Modern at all. Thats as old school as it gets.

Duh. Before Movies and TV, all there was is theatre. ("theater"..really?)

Done. You have no idea what youre talking about. Youre just arguing for the hell of it.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

"Modern" used to be Gage Kazan and The Actors Studio and that was late 40's early 50's.

It's all relative and once again I'm feeling ancient for even knowing that.

Stout

Reaction score
Okay, so you're not being stupid, you're just actively ignoring reality. The Bible may have been written in ancient times, but it is still being printed and read. It originated long ago, but is contemporary in its use. DD Lewis, Gary Oldman, and many others may have learned how to act a long time ago, but they are currently acting...thus, they are MODERN, or, in other words, contemporary. They are still plying their trade.

Errol Flynn is an old-school actor. Charlie Chaplin too. Etc, etc. On the other hand, people acting now are, by definition, modern actors. By denying that, you're simply either ignoring reality, or don't have a clue about how to decipher the English language.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Thats how its always been. Thats not Modern at all. Thats as old school as it gets.

Duh. Before Movies and TV, all there was is theatre. ("theater"..really?)

Done. You have no idea what youre talking about. Youre just arguing for the hell of it.

Wow, you obviously know nothing about me. Perhaps that's why you've decided to get personal. And you quote semantics? On an internet message board? Sounds like even you are conceding you have no idea what you're talking about.

And yes, learning in the theater is as it's always been. INCLUDING NOW. So how is that not considered "modern"?

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I can't wait for this movie to come out. I see another Oscar coming for Daniel Day Lewis and Steven Spielberg. This looks fantastic.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, you obviously know nothing about me. Perhaps that's why you've decided to get personal. And you quote semantics? On an internet message board? Sounds like even you are conceding you have no idea what you're talking about.

And yes, learning in the theater is as it's always been. INCLUDING NOW. So how is that not considered "modern"?

:biglaugh: I love the fact that Bodha is arguing with someone who actually works in the film industry and has for many years. Don't worry Chaplin, he knows everything, even more than you with your years of experience. Arguing is futile since he will change his stance several times and end up not making a lick of sense in the end just to try to be right on a subject he really knows nothing about.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lincoln

Release Date: November 9, 2012 (limited; expands: Nov. 16)
Studio: DreamWorks Pictures
Director: Steven Spielberg
Screenwriter: Tony Kushner
Genre: Biography, Drama
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for an intense scene of war violence, some images of carnage and brief strong language)

Starring: Daniel Day-Lewis, Sally Field, David Strathairn, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, James Spader, Hal Holbrook, Tommy Lee Jones

Plot Summary: Steven Spielberg directs two-time Academy Award® winner Daniel Day-Lewis in “Lincoln,” a revealing drama that focuses on the 16th President's tumultuous final months in office. In a nation divided by war and the strong winds of change, Lincoln pursues a course of action designed to end the war, unite the country and abolish slavery. With the moral courage and fierce determination to succeed, his choices during this critical moment will change the fate of generations to come.

You must be registered for see images attach

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I love Lincoln. I love Daniel-Day Lewis. I love Tommy Lee Jones.

This movie still looks wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over the top and not pleasant. I hope the trailer is no indication of what the movie will be like.

Was there any other Presidential term that had so much hanging in the balance? Lincoln's term in office is generally considered to be the single most trying, most consequential and most demanding in the history of our country. I'm not sure anyone can create any sort of depiction of his time in office in an "over the top" manner...

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was there any other Presidential term that had so much hanging in the balance? Lincoln's term in office is generally considered to be the single most trying, most consequential and most demanding in the history of our country. I'm not sure anyone can create any sort of depiction of his time in office in an "over the top" manner...

JFK's was pretty trying as well.. Not trying to find one more trying.. Was just thinking who had a difficult one too..

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
JFK's was pretty trying as well.. Not trying to find one more trying.. Was just thinking who had a difficult one too..

There's been so many Gee... It's an interesting discussion for sure. However, the fate and direction of the country we know and love today truly was hanging in the balance during Lincoln's term.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard