Levi Brown

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Am I the only one that's noticed Levi Brown has been playing really solid lately?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I was going to post that as well but don't want to be censored by Duckjake and his reverse praise philosophy :D.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has played really well actually minus his one false start against dallas

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Levi does this a lot. Starts of the year rather stinky and then plays solid to very well in the later part of the season.

Where in HE!! is Joesmo and Crazy Canuck.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
With the way his contract is structured, this is his contract season. I guess he has it in him after all

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Levi does this a lot. Starts of the year rather stinky and then plays solid to very well in the later part of the season.

Where in HE!! is Joesmo and Crazy Canuck.

This is true. He seems to get better as the season goes and has from year 1.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
With the way his contract is structured, this is his contract season. I guess he has it in him after all

Yeah, better not resign him for a stupid deal. He is avg at best terrible at worse. Good run blocker, terrible pass protection. Skelton makes him look passable because he is hard to bring down. He is not the answer and hope we draft his replacement or sign one.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
better maybe but I am not sure solid is the right word.

24. Arizona Cardinals
Rank: Pass Blocking = 32nd, Run Blocking = 8th, Penalties = 7th
No surprises that a team sporting Levi Brown at left tackle has the lowest-graded offensive line in pass protection. Brown’s gargantuan -27.7 pass blocking grade puts all others to shame. The biggest disappointment hasn’t been Brown; that was expected. No, it’s Daryn Colledge who has failed to justify the money given to him outside of a dominant display against the Rams.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/12/08/offensive-lines-mid-season-report/

They had another article where Levi Brown was tied for last place in pass blocking for OTs but I could not find the link.

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Re-sign him and put him at RT, where he belongs. On a side note, Joe Thomas is a flat out stud. Why couldn't Cleve pass on him so he'd fall to the Cards.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Re-sign him and put him at RT, where he belongs. On a side note, Joe Thomas is a flat out stud. Why couldn't Cleve pass on him so he'd fall to the Cards.

Whisenhunt and Grimm said at the time that they would have drafted Levi above Thomas even if both were available. Boy do I hope this was just coachspeack

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Whisenhunt and Grimm said at the time that they would have drafted Levi above Thomas even if both were available. Boy do I hope this was just coachspeack
I really hope someone hires Grimm this off season. He's was the main one endorsing Brown. Can you imagine if the Cards took Levi over Peterson AND Joe Thomas?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I was going to post that as well but don't want to be censored by Duckjake and his reverse praise philosophy .

Our RBs averaged 3.0 yards per attempt against a Browns Defense ranked 31st in rushing yards per attempt. Wells is averaging 2.9 yards per carry over the last 3 games.

That's some fine run blocking.

Come on Cbus you've got to help me out here if we want the Cards to finish 9-7.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Our RBs averaged 3.0 yards per attempt against a Browns Defense ranked 31st in rushing yards per attempt. Wells is averaging 2.9 yards per carry over the last 3 games.

That's some fine run blocking.

Come on Cbus you've got to help me out here if we want the Cards to finish 9-7.
That Wells guy stinks and they should get the ball to Chester Taylor more.

Waysouth

Veteran
Reaction score
I see the Cards drafting DeCastro to play RG, restructuring Levi and hopefully moving him to RT, then finding a LT in FA.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I get taking a break, but Joe's a valued member of the community and if we've lost another one for good then that's a damn tragedy.

Back to Levi.

The team needs an upgrade, but let's pretend to be impartial (it won't hurt much, I promise) and weigh the given evidence.

He's been:

a) Average for 5 games in a row.
His opponents in that stretch have been:

(given that no defender will line up the exact same way on every play or have the same responsibilities, we can't say that he's had exclusive matchups, but we can say that more often than not he's faced the following rushers):

Aldon Smith, Justin Smith, Paryls Haralson (SF)
Robert Quinn, James Hall (StL)
Ware, Spears, Lissemore, and Hatcher (DAL)
Jayme Mitchell (CLE)

Aside from the last, not a bad list.​

b) His first year RT were pockmarked with the bad games, he made strides his sophomore year, but did benefit by having a QB that got rid of the ball quickly.

c) at LT for 2 years in the pros he's been bad more than good.
Some guys can come in right away and achieve greatness at the position. Most don't. Some develop into average to above average players over time. Some don't. Based on the body of evidence it's probably safe to say Levi's not a good LT. He could evolve to an average one, but if he weren't on the team next year there'd be no shock.

d) the offense lacks any real sense of consistency. They've drafted lineman with the idea of being a rushing team.
The last two years, there's been close to 50/50 on rush to pass, but it doesn't fit the physical skill set of most of the linemen. His first two years the team passed a TON.
Most of the well-known blockers are between 300 and 315 pounds. Levi's north of that by about 10.

I'd go so far to say this team is stacked when it comes to potential guards. Let's call it the "Big Mistake", but both Brown and Keith could be very effective inside and not have extended looks there (even though Keith's gotten reps at the spot).​

e) he's smart, getting two degrees: labor and industrial relations and psychology. Does that translate to "football IQ?" only his coaches and teammates can say, but I'd wager his life after playing is going to be just fine. Wouldn't shock me to see him involved with the NFLPA. What this does tell me is that it's more likely than not he's aware of his value in FA.
Does that mean hometown discount? Could be.
Say what you want, he'd be a valuable backup.

Last edited: