Lebron Opts Out/Becomes Free Agent

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So Cleveland has now, what, 4 former first overall picks on their roster? How horrible and lucky does a franchise have to be to collect four of those in 12 years.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like the way he announced it. It took far too long as he clearly knew what he was going to do several days ago, but he likes his drama. Doesn't bother me that Suns were never really an option, at least he listened (even if just through his agent). It's also nice to see that he's realistic about their roster as many in the media and fan world certainly are not. In the end I'm just thankful that everyone can move on now and we likely will never have to go through another Lebron announcement again!

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So Cleveland has now, what, 4 former first overall picks on their roster? How horrible and lucky does a franchise have to be to collect four of those in 12 years.

They said somewhere that getting four in that timeframe is something like 1/1000 odds.

The sad thing is they still aren't championship material even with Lebron. In year 3 or 4, maybe, if everyone develops as they project and that might hold true even if they trade for Love.

Miami would of given him a much better shot at a title this year, but long term Cleveland has a bit better shot. If Cleveland was in the west, with Lebron, they'd be struggling to make the playoffs. That said they could be in the Finals this year, because any 40+ win team in the West could legitimately win the East. But CLE would most likely get blown out by whatever team comes out of the west.

The Eastern conference just got even more pathetic, and if Bosh goes to Houston, the west got even stronger.

But who knows, it will be interesting to see what happens and if CLE can exceed all expectations.

Hopefully we turn our attention to trade for Love and then maybe fill out our roster with some FA's while we still can.

Last edited:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
How is that nice? Houston just became lot tougher to beat.

West adds yet another star.

Sorry for not being clear.

Two different thoughts:
Very nice! Glad he (James) is going back to Cleavland. (Thought 1.)
Bosh goes to Houston, I assume. (Thought 2.)

Besides, it's not like the Suns are contending for anything this year. Couldn't possibly care less if Houston gets stronger. They were better than Phoenix last year, they'll be better than Phoenix next year, regardless of whether they have Bosh or not.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Oh wow! ROFL

ESPN just reminded us that CLE has Miami's 1st round pick next year.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Holy crap...if that's unprotected, WOW.

Apparently top 10 protected this year (2015-2016 season). Unprotected in 2017 (2016-2017 season)

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/DraftTrades/Future/Cavaliers.htm

Cavaliers
Cavaliers (top 10 protected)

Traded LeBron James, Cavaliers option to swap 2012 first round picks (not exercised) to Heat for second round pick (protected top 40 in 2011-12, unprotected in 2013) (2011 #54-Milan Macvan), Cavaliers option to swap 2012 first round picks (not exercised), 2012 second round pick (#34-Jae Crowder), first round pick (protected top 10 in 2013-14, unprotected in 2015) (2013 #30-Nemanja Nedovic), first round pick (2 years following the year in which Heat satisfies its obligation to convey a future first round draft pick to Cavaliers, protected top 10 in 2015-16, unprotected in 2017) (?-?), $14.5M trade exception on 2010-07-09

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Rockets are hurrying to dump players to get cap room for Bosh.

The Suns need to take advantage of this and trade for the young Terrence Jones.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How about Plumlee, Bledsoe, and picks to Cleveland for Wiggins and Varejao? Cleveland is going to win now mode. I put Varejao in to make the numbers work, not to make the trade even value wise.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about Plumlee, Bledsoe, and picks to Cleveland for Wiggins and Varejao? Cleveland is going to win now mode. I put Varejao in to make the numbers work, not to make the trade even value wise.

That sets us back a few years and it's quite a gamble. Regardless, I can't see them including Varejao especially now that Lebron specifically mentioned how much he was looking forward to playing with him again.

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So is everyone staying or going home now? Melo staying in NY, LBJ to CLE and Bosh to Houston?

Is there any NBA player worth a damn that's from Arizona?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That sets us back a few years and it's quite a gamble. Regardless, I can't see them including Varejao especially now that Lebron specifically mentioned how much he was looking forward to playing with him again.

Steve

Its one you have to do if it is presented though.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Even he was born and raised in California, he was only in Arizona for 4 years or so for college.

I'm not sure that counts.

We need someone that was raised in the desert.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yes, but it won't be. They are not going to pay Bledsoe what he wants when they just gave a max deal to Kyrie. That and they are in desperate need for 4 and 5's. Thompson is a restricted next summer and Varejao will be a free agent.

I would love to somehow get Wiggins, but we have nothing they need that would pry him from their death grip on him. Now if you can think of a 3rd team that would want Bledsoe at max (where he'd be willing to sign) and has an all-star PF or C (they would give up for Bledsoe) that would interest the Cavs, than maybe something could be worked out. We assign that task to you, better start making some calls! ;)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh wow! ROFL

ESPN just reminded us that CLE has Miami's 1st round pick next year.

I FORGOT ABOUT THAT. Holy crap. If Bosh bolts and Wade or even just one of the teams wheels could fall off. They could hand Lebron and Cleveland that next big piece to put Cavs back in contention or give them a huge bargaining chip to bring in that piece.

WOW.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we ain't getting Love. Wiggins and filler is going to put him on Cleveland. We have nothing like Wiggins to make our offer as enticing. and truthfully, neither does anyone else.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
SportsCenter

Cavs have opened trade talks for Kevin Love by offering Dion Waiters, Anthony Bennett & 1st-round pick to T-Wolves.

Early on though T-Wolves said they would insist Wiggins be included in any deal.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
we ain't getting Love. Wiggins and filler is going to put him on Cleveland. We have nothing like Wiggins to make our offer as enticing. and truthfully, neither does anyone else.

True. We will just have to continue to collect assets and look for opportune moments to snag a star player. You have to put yourself in a position to get lucky, and then fortune has to smile on you.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe. But giving up a decent young player like Plumlee, a star in the making like Bledsoe AND future picks seems like far too much for a player that just has a chance to be special. The shape we were in last summer, I make that kind of deal in a heartbeat. But I don't know that a gamble of that magnitude is warranted given the turnaround they've orchestrated. I guess if the brain trust is pretty well convinced he's a superstar in waiting, you do the deal. But if we're talking 50/50 kind of thing, I'd definitely pass.

Steve