Last of Us (HBO Max)

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
lol Your "public announcement was very much needed?" Narcissist much? And the (lazy attempt at) condescension is the icing on the cake.

Since you insist on the "you're not allowed to dislike one little thing even when loving the show" take, here ya go:

They make a very big point of utilizing the science of this fungi and how it overtakes the host and uses the host's abilities, driving it past the point of endurance and eating it from the inside. So, when the science doesn't add up, I comment. They very clearly, in that moment, simply thought it would be cool for an old woman to be superhuman quick. Oh well, lazy writing moment. I noted it and moved on and dug the show.

Seems the board police cannot have anyone make any criticism ever. Says more about me than you, to be fair. "Oh God, Stout didn't think a property was 100 percent perfect, I must speak down to him?" Let me add histrionic to the list ;)

Public service announcement comment was clearly a joke.

They often utilize science (which is all bulls**t) in many zombie forms of media, so I asked if this was really your first interaction or do you criticize all scientific takes?

Condescending comments are common here, by you most especially and plenty of others on a regular basis. It originally wasn't one and I don't think many took it, but you certainly took it that way and went back to your own condescending self. Surprise? Nah. You don't even notice I'm sure.

Seems you haven't moved on. By all means, move on and enjoy the show. The physics aren't going to get any better though, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol Your "public announcement was very much needed?" Narcissist much? And the (lazy attempt at) condescension is the icing on the cake.

Since you insist on the "you're not allowed to dislike one little thing even when loving the show" take, here ya go:

They make a very big point of utilizing the science of this fungi and how it overtakes the host and uses the host's abilities, driving it past the point of endurance and eating it from the inside. So, when the science doesn't add up, I comment. They very clearly, in that moment, simply thought it would be cool for an old woman to be superhuman quick. Oh well, lazy writing moment. I noted it and moved on and dug the show.

Seems the board police cannot have anyone make any criticism ever. Says more about me than you, to be fair. "Oh God, Stout didn't think a property was 100 percent perfect, I must speak down to him?" Let me add histrionic to the list ;)
Stout, if this is based on the video game that point is really about how the it infects the hosts. It's not the extent of the mutations it causes. Again, you find that out as the story moves along. You probably didn't play the game. However, it's not lazy at all if you understand that it mutates the hosts and what they can do. Again, assuming it follows the game. I get why you might think that now. I doubt they go as far as the game because it seems they want this a bit more grounded. However, you can go here to see all the mutations. Some make people stronger etc. Again, if you understand it doesn't just control the hosts but causes mutations it isn't lazy at all. It's in line with the story. Now if you want to criticize the overall premise? That's fair game.

DO NOT READ BELOW if you want to be completely surprised by what "creatures" the show might introduce.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Stout, if this is based on the video game that point is really about how the it infects the hosts. It's not the extent of the mutations it causes. Again, you find that out as the story moves along. You probably didn't play the game. However, it's not lazy at all if you understand that it mutates the hosts and what they can do. Again, assuming it follows the game. I get why you might think that now. I doubt they go as far as the game because it seems they want this a bit more grounded. However, you can go here to see all the mutations. Some make people stronger etc. Again, if you understand it doesn't just control the hosts but causes mutations it isn't lazy at all. It's in line with the story. Now if you want to criticize the overall premise? That's fair game.

DO NOT READ BELOW if you want to be completely surprised by what "creatures" the show might introduce.

Cool, thanks for the info.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Funny enough, I have opinions that (kind of) support both sides of your guys argument... particularly as a long time enthusiastic viewer of zombie movies (and player of zombie video games).

Firstly, I do agree that the entire zombie genre requires a massive suspension of disbelief because the basic premise is so absurd by its very nature. There is nothing nowhere that is ever going to reanimate the dead. Anyone who entertains that as a serious thing (in even an analogous way) is not a person of serious intelligence. This is beyond argument. And in spite of TLOU not being about "reanimated corpse" zombies, the same tropes apply because they are more or less the same level of fiction.

That being the case, it is a little absurd to argue the legitimacy of plot points related to that in fictional works. Since the creators are starting off from such a far fetched plot point, it essentially gives them creative license to do anything equally far fetched to tell their story. Now that may not always be an interesting way to tell their story (and more often than not, it isn't), but it's at least creatively legitimate under the circumstances.

On the other hand, I do lean partially towards Stout's objection to the plot point in TLOU. The way they portrayed that particular event is pretty cliched within the genre, and given the quality of the source material and creators involved, they really could have done something better and more interesting with that.

Last edited:

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
As an avid gamer that somehow remained loyal to Xbox (family room has a Series X, my son has a Series S, and various rooms have Xbox Ones and Xbox One X's), The Last of Us has always tugged at me to try a PlayStation for years now. None of the other PS exclusives have done that.

This show: Our new PS5 will be here around Tuesday.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
okay, 2 things.

I ate some mushrooms in 1984 and I outran a train,.... and I also flew. so mushrooms can do some amazing ****.

secondly. The zombie apocalypse WILL happen. Cant say when, but its coming. You unbelievers wont be prepared. I will miss you.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
The viewership from episode 1 to 2 is the largest jump in HBO history. Season 2 has been greenlit. Great show thus far!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I've been holding off to watch this since I prefer binging, but it sounds good enough that I should just go ahead and watch as it goes. Willow made me jaded for week-to-week episodic television.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We started watching The Walking Dead two weeks ago and are midway through season two (we’ve never watched an episode of it prior). Watching this concurrently is very interesting in how different they are. And how differently they’re handled pre- and post-pandemic. The tones are pretty different.

Stout

Reaction score
We started watching The Walking Dead two weeks ago and are midway through season two (we’ve never watched an episode of it prior). Watching this concurrently is very interesting in how different they are. And how differently they’re handled pre- and post-pandemic. The tones are pretty different.
Quit the Walking Dead while you're ahead lol

Stout

Reaction score
Wow. Just wow. That episode at that length should not have worked in any way, shape, or form. Only perfect writing could have pulled that off. They didn't get perfect writing, though. It was better than perfect. Simply unreal.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Wow. Just wow. That episode at that length should not have worked in any way, shape, or form. Only perfect writing could have pulled that off. They didn't get perfect writing, though. It was better than perfect. Simply unreal.
Yeah last nights episode was really unexpected. I didn’t expect this show to have this much heart. Really really good.

OP
OP
bankybruce

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This show is every that all other recent similar shows have tried to be and failed. The writing is amazing! I hope it can sustain.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
TLOU apparently confirms Vince Gilligan's genius:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Man, what a fantastic episode this week. I was skeptical of starting this show but I’m glad I did. Just fantastic thus far.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose