Lamarcus Aldridge

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he'd be a valuable asset to any contender this season, including the Suns -- and except the Spurs where he's been disgruntled for years.

That's what had I thought but from what I've been reading the past two days, this might not be the case. I know we've heard a time or two about him being unhappy but Pop took the blame for it the first time (saying he'd used him incorrectly) and supposedly he's been a good leader and a popular teammate since then.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
He's on the last year of his contract and getting paid $24M. Some team is gonna want that expiring contract to free up some cap space. I really doubt he gets bought out.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boston TPE has entered the chat.

thats interesting. I don’t think that turns them into a contender or anything but they are desperate to use that trade exception for SOMETHING.

I just think he’d be a great big off the bench when we have to face healthy Lakers/Blazers teams.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Kings try to flip Buddy Hield for that expiring. The Kings new GM is always talking about flexibility moving forward. Getting rid of Hield's bad contract for one that would free up $24M seems like the kind of thing he's preaching. Would the Spurs bite though?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
From what I've read it might be more a style conflict than a value issue. Their roster, other than him, is built for a faster game. With the slower pace we play with Paul it's possible he'd be a good fit for restricted minutes. I'm not sold on him, his game has declined steadily for a few years, but if he's bought out I think it's worth giving him a chance if LMA is interested. It is not worth giving up anyone other than maybe, MAYBE, Jevon Carter.

I remember being surprised they went all out for him in the first place. Coming off that title/style of play due to ridiculous ball movement. He’s a black hole who will get his points while everyone stands around... I think he’s added the 3 ball but not much of a reliable threat.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is an interesting excerpt from an article discussing if LaMarcus Aldridge would fit with the Heat.

It discusses defensive issues.

By Anthony Chiang and Barry Jackson, Miami Herald:

Another glaring stat: The Spurs have outscored opponents by 48 points when Aldridge is not on the court this season, but they have actually been outscored by 58 points when he is playing. That net-negative trend for Aldridge began last season, when San Antonio was a minus-129 with him on the court and a plus-18 when he wasn’t on the court.

Most of those struggles come down to defense, with the Spurs a statistically worse defensive team when Aldridge is playing. San Antonio has allowed 114.2 points per 100 possessions when Aldridge is on the court compared with 106 points per 100 possessions when he’s not on the court this season.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nba/miami-heat/article249847123.html

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember being surprised they went all out for him in the first place. Coming off that title/style of play due to ridiculous ball movement. He’s a black hole who will get his points while everyone stands around... I think he’s added the 3 ball but not much of a reliable threat.

Yeah I've never been a big LMA supporter. I think he'd be a decent weapon to have on the bench but I'd hate to have had to build around him in his prime. He didn't draw a lot of fouls, didn't shoot a particularly high percentage, rarely passed and he expected to be the primary option - all that from a player that for most of his career has been weak on defense.

At this stage of his career, if he's willing to be a role player (something like 12 to 15 minutes a game), I think he can help a contender come the playoffs. But if he was willing to be that kind of role player, I suspect Pop would be hanging on to him.

I think we'd benefit more from a post up player or a big body that can protect the rim and bang with the heavies.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He adds depth but he is barely scoring more than JC and getting less rebounds. If it’s a buyout and you can add depth great. Other than that? I don’t give up anything for him. The upside is that he gets healthy as the rest of the season progresses and you get the old version or something close to it to round out the roster.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who would you rather have--Alderidge or Drummond. For me, its Drummond and its not even close. I don't care if it means Drummond starts over Ayton in the playoffs. Whatever it takes to win now.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who would you rather have--Alderidge or Drummond. For me, its Drummond and its not even close. I don't care if it means Drummond starts over Ayton in the playoffs. Whatever it takes to win now.

Don't think we have a chance at either, but I would take Drummond.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't think we have a chance at either, but I would take Drummond.

Yeah I don't think we're going to add anyone of note but Drummond would be the best choice by far IMO over Aldridge and all the other rumored names.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hard to know if Aldridge just been mailing it in because he doesnt want to be there or if he really did fall of a cliff. The answer to that question is what makes the move good or bad

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Hard to know if Aldridge just been mailing it in because he doesnt want to be there or if he really did fall of a cliff. The answer to that question is what makes the move good or bad

That may be worse. Last thing the suns need is a disruption in team chemistry. That's probably Jones's biggest success is putting together a group of guys who all seem to get along and accept their roles.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't see Pop and the Spurs organization speaking highly of Aldridge if he's been phoning it in. They're exploring options for him because they're not a legit contender and he's been a model citizen for them despite losing his starting job.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't see Pop and the Spurs organization speaking highly of Aldridge if he's been phoning it in. They're exploring options for him because they're not a legit contender and he's been a model citizen for them despite losing his starting job.
Agreed, Pop is well respected by players, I don't see Aldridge doing this intentionally. SA just wants to go in a younger direction and doesn't want to risk him getting injured so he can't go anywhere else.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
His numbers are consistent with his drop in minutes.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His numbers are consistent with his drop in minutes.

I haven't researched the accuracy of this but I've read that the drop in minutes coincided with better team results. But that could be parttly about style of play rather than just a decline on LMA's part.

Last edited: