Lamarcus Aldridge

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I just don't know what the Suns can trade.I can see him in Phoenix if the Spurs buy him out, but that's about it.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I just saw the story that he was being bought out, and this was my first thought. From what I have seen, it sounds like a return to Portland is most likely, but it would sure be nice!

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You heard it here first, LA will be a sun in the next 2/3 weeks...does he make us a legit contender?

who are you giving up for him?

I’m not willing to give up anybody on this team for him.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I don’t think he makes it to the buy out market.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we somehow got him on the buyout market, he could have a Tim Thomas-esque impact like back in 2006.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Except I'm not sure he's that level of player anymore. He's 35 going on 42.
But as a backup he’d likely give us precisely what we need. We don’t need a big “impact” big.

I have to say, looking up his stats, he’s had a career of remarkable longevity and production.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed that trading for him seems impossible... and just awful.

I'd take him as on the minimum I suppose. I don't really know how much he'd help though, he seems pretty washed up, especially if the Spurs, a team in the playoff hunt is pondering paying him to go away. He certainly shouldn't play over Saric, who's been great for us.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns don't have any bad contracts that would work. The only way they get Aldridge is a buyout and the Spurs seem confident they have a trade. The Celtics have the Gordon Hayward trade exception to use if they want him.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty Williams has big time history with Aldridge. He would be our recruiter along with playing with CP3

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You get him now
Perfect skill set for this team

And how do you get him now? Who do you trade for him?

Like @Mainstreet said, the Spurs seem confident they'll find a trade for him and won't be buying him out. Boston seems the likely destination as they have the capability of adding him for their trade exception with added cash or some combo of picks to entice San Antonio.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Spurs are fighting for a playoff spot and don’t want him.

From what I've read it might be more a style conflict than a value issue. Their roster, other than him, is built for a faster game. With the slower pace we play with Paul it's possible he'd be a good fit for restricted minutes. I'm not sold on him, his game has declined steadily for a few years, but if he's bought out I think it's worth giving him a chance if LMA is interested. It is not worth giving up anyone other than maybe, MAYBE, Jevon Carter.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not that it means anything but the Suns aren't even mentioned in this ESPN+ article that breaks down possible destinations for Aldridge. its worth a read since it breaks down options like Boston, Portland, Philly, Heat and the Lakers. Some of those by trade and others by buyout.

Apparently Aldridge just returned to the Spurs after missing 8 of 11 games due to injury and he's lost his starting job as the Spurs started gelling without him. He's averaging 13.7ppg with 4.5 rpg and hitting 36% from 3. He's been a starter his whole career and this is a favor San Antonio is doing for him since they're going young and not competing for a title while Aldridge has been a model citizen for them since signing there 6 years ago. San Antonio is also just $1 million shy of the luxury tax so shedding Aldridge's expiring $24 million dollar salary gives them some flexibility now. Even signing a player for league minimum would push them into tax territory.

Worth noting a team would need to send out at least $19 million in salary to make a trade for him work, which basically rules out the Suns. The Suns could come up with the salary but even the biggest James Jones haters wouldn't float the idea he'd trade some combo of Saric, Ayton, and Crowder for him.

Link...
ESPN.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/31041481/the-best-lamarcus-aldridge-trade-buyout-destinations

Last edited:

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
he'd be a valuable asset to any contender this season, including the Suns -- and except the Spurs where he's been disgruntled for years.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If we are going to look at a Spurs fossil, I would prefer Rudy Gay to Aldridge.

Rudy can at least credibly guard the big wings in the West. Aldridge is a traffic cone on defense.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good to see spurs becoming a meh team

Those duncan teams provided some really bad memories as a suns fan...

Be cool to see la in a suns uni but i don't see it how old is aldridge gain?

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we are going to look at a Spurs fossil, I would prefer Rudy Gay to Aldridge.

Rudy can at least credibly guard the big wings in the West. Aldridge is a traffic cone on defense.
Lol well if suns got aldridge eaither him or ayton would show up every gm right???