Lamar Jackson gets non-exclusive tag - Edit, New Deal!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was 2 years and 100 million off of the total contract. lol
Years don’t matter he’d be online for a new contract sooner which we all know in the NFL is a win. You take average per year. He’s an idiot.

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years don’t matter he’d be online for a new contract sooner which we all know in the NFL is a win. You take average per year. He’s an idiot.
Years ABSOLUTELY matter when we are talking about a fully guaranteed contract. Regular contracts not so much.

Lamar might not think his body will hold out for more than 3 years, and he wants that last final payday.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years ABSOLUTELY matter when we are talking about a fully guaranteed contract. Regular contracts not so much.

Lamar might not think his body will hold out for more than 3 years, and he wants that last final payday.
Ehh… he could turn around and re up another contract after three even with out guarantees in the next one. In three years odds are he would get more total money due to NFL inflation especially at that position. Just in signing bonus. He’s being dumb.

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ehh… he could turn around and re up another contract after three even with out guarantees in the next one. In three years odds are he would get more total money due to NFL inflation especially at that position. Just in signing bonus. He’s being dumb.
He could. If I were Lamar and I thought I could get it. I'd take that additional 2 years and 100 mil.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
lol might be the dabs talking here but it's a good thing I aint in control cuz I'd probably give the Ravens our precious #3 pick AND Kyler Murray for Lamar Jackson (if he'd agree to new 4 year contract) but Baltimore would never go for it

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm talking about his reply, he's hinting that he signed a 3 year 133 mil fully guaranteed contract
Is he? I took that to mean that was the contract that was actually offered that he turned down because it was too low.

Regardless, super interesting to see how this eventually plays out.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Raven's won't meet his valuation, and they know him better than anyone, why would another team trade at least a couple of first round picks for him and PAY him money that the Raven's wouldn't which you have to believe is in the $50m a year range?

How would any team even trade for that if they haven't planned for it for some time? Hard to find $50m a year in your current and future cap if you haven't been structuring your roster with that intent.

Fun idea. Raven's trade him to the Falcons. We take #8 and #22 this year and next years 1st from them to move up and get a QB.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If the Raven's won't meet his valuation, and they know him better than anyone, why would another team trade at least a couple of first round picks for him and PAY him money that the Raven's wouldn't which you have to believe is in the $50m a year range?

How would any team even trade for that if they haven't planned for it for some time? Hard to find $50m a year in your current and future cap if you haven't been structuring your roster with that intent.

Fun idea. Raven's trade him to the Falcons. We take #8 and #22 this year and next years 1st from them to move up and get a QB.

Because they don't want to end up with Sam Darnold/Zach Wilson/Tray Lance (maybe). Mina Kimes and Danny Kelly were talking about this last week on the Bill Simmons Podcast. Some teams have so fetishized the rookie contract aspect that they forget that the goal is to get a long-term starting quarterback who can play at a high level.

Larmar isn't a player without blemish, but he's much less blemished than Deshaun Watson. You can totally understand why he would be peeved that he's not getting similar shine on the trade market. Part of that is probably the fault of his deciding not to have an agent who can beat the bushes more professionally than Uncle Carlos or whomever.

Teams can structure these deals pretty easily to accommodate a big QB contract. Most teams only have a handful of players under contract two or three years down the road, so they have a ton of cap flexibility for the future.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because they don't want to end up with Sam Darnold/Zach Wilson/Tray Lance (maybe). Mina Kimes and Danny Kelly were talking about this last week on the Bill Simmons Podcast. Some teams have so fetishized the rookie contract aspect that they forget that the goal is to get a long-term starting quarterback who can play at a high level.

Larmar isn't a player without blemish, but he's much less blemished than Deshaun Watson. You can totally understand why he would be peeved that he's not getting similar shine on the trade market. Part of that is probably the fault of his deciding not to have an agent who can beat the bushes more professionally than Uncle Carlos or whomever.

Teams can structure these deals pretty easily to accommodate a big QB contract. Most teams only have a handful of players under contract two or three years down the road, so they have a ton of cap flexibility for the future.

I like Lamar but I still think you have to consider him part RB and that includes the shelf life of a RB. We all know that typically RBs are set to pasture around age 28. The wear and tear on their bodies is just too great. The way Lamar plays he will have somewhat similar wear and tear to a RB.

Then if you look historically at a similar QB like Cam Newton who also took a ton of hits early in his career. He played at a high level until he hit 28 years old much like a RB. Take away Cam's ability to run and he is a below average QB.

The good news is that Lamar is still only 25 years old. So he may still have 2-3 solid years left in him if he continues to play like he does. I'd still be hesitant to sign him to a long term deal that doesn't have an out in 2 to 3 years.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

the price does not have to be 2 firsts. thats just the league mandated max. The exact draft compensation can be negotiated between the teams, and Lamar publicly raising hell and threatening to hold out, then holding out...it all lowers his value.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
the price does not have to be 2 firsts. thats just the league mandated max. The exact draft compensation can be negotiated between the teams, and Lamar publicly raising hell and threatening to hold out, then holding out...it all lowers his value.
Yes...He'll sign his tender and then teams can trade for him with realistic compensation that will probably be less than 2 1sts.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose