Kyler Murray entering Draft

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
How will being 5`10 help his accuracy in the NFL when he is playing against the best players around instead of in the pisspoor Big 12 defensive league?
Makes little difference if any when your in the shotgun most of the time

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This fantasy that we are drafting Murray really has legs. I know Keim isn't know for his genius drafting but thinking we would spend a #1 overall on Murray is crazy despite how much media tries to generate clicks writing stories that we might.

I won't go as far to say Murray can't be successful in the NFL but a ceiling of avg at best will be tough to break thru. I don't understand the argument that Flutie validates Murray. Flutie had a couple good seasons in the NFL, but his big numbers were in the CFL. Flutie was a Heisman too but he wasn't drafted until somewhere near the 10th or 11th round, definitely beyond #200 pick iirc.

I don't like a Wilson comparison so much and not because Wilson is of course larger frame and taller, but Wilson has a passing delivery where he extends over his head that makes his passes come out like a taller QB.

We are going to take Bosa unless we get a good trade and the only way I see us taking Murray is if he dropped down the draft. If we were going to draft a QB early it would be Haskins and that isn't happening even though I would gladly replace Rosen for Haskins.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

So Rosen is worthless compared to Kyler Murray, but for some reason the Giants are going to give us a higher pick than we spent on him last year after a bad year, with Murray on the board? Or, you're willing to give up our proven, elite pass rusher for a guy who has never played an NFL snap, and a 5'10 QB?

The mental gymnastics here are insane.

Let's be honest, the odds are against us drafting the DPOY. But it's about the long term fit for the team. In the past 30 years, the #1 overall pick has been a HOF consideration in... maybe 4 instances? More likely 3?
1st part. Desperation is a bitch.

2nd part. It's all relative.

Regarding Jones..... Just dream work shopping. It probably wouldn't happen. Package could be picks also. Point is that the quick turnarounds require bold thinking.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

I'm wondering just how much shotgun KK is going to use...The pass happy Pats and Rams both lead the league with QB's taking snaps under center last year...and most people think, just because they dink and dunk pass all the time, it's out of shotgun.

DRM08

Veteran
Reaction score
So running the shotgun as your main offense now? WTF happens to David Johnson? WTF happens to your running game? Murray going to play wishbone QB ?:rolleyes::barf:

In 2017 with Alex Smith at QB for the Chiefs, Kareem Hunt led the league in rushing despite the fact KC was using shotgun on 72% of their snaps. That 72% shotgun tendency was 2nd highest in the league for the 2017 season.

Kliff will find ways to get the ball to Johnson, regardless of the formation. I would expect regardless of the QB, you will see the Cardinals in shotgun at least 65% of the time. It was 54% in 2018 for the Cardinals.

Buckybird

Reaction score
IMO the defenses are better than Fluties era.Better athletes.Defenses change to react to the offense trends.Always has and always will.Short QBs aren`t going to be able to get clear lanes to throw in the pocket so rolling out will be needed often .Smart defensive coaches can and will scheme to keep the QB contain and limit his effectiveness.It does and will happen.
The defenses in the NFL are better today than in the 80’s & 90’s? Really? I don’t think so. The athletes yes, the team defense isn’t even close.

The rules, stats on both sides of the ball say otherwise & it’s not even close.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is simply amazing that the Murray minions just simply choose to think that being 5`10 will simply not be a factor in the NFL.Small frame and short...yeah that's a formula for changing the NFL.:biglaugh:

He can run really fast. :wink2:

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Shotgun won't mean the pocket won't be tight or pressure. I think balls batted is second to a bigger problem of being able to see the field. Shotgun or not its hard to see the field against 6' 4" lineman when your eye level may not even be above their pads. You need some tall targets out there to help. Regardless I hope we get a couple tall receivers this year.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mannings were coached up by an NFL QB (father)
Andrew Luck coached up by an NFL QB ( father)
John Elway coached up by an NCAA Football HC
Jim Harbaugh was coached up by an NCAA football HC ( father)

Right and Kyler was coached up by his father, Kevin Murray, who was a quarterback at Texas A&M from 1983 to 1986.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
The defenses in the NFL are better today than in the 80’s & 90’s? Really? I don’t think so. The athletes yes, the team defense isn’t even close.

The rules, stats on both sides of the ball say otherwise & it’s not even close.

So you and your Texas size blind spot think Murray will take the NFl and make it his playtoy?

Buckybird

Reaction score
Shotgun won't mean the pocket won't be tight or pressure. I think balls batted is second to a bigger problem of being able to see the field. Shotgun or not its hard to see the field against 6' 4" lineman when your eye level may not even be above their pads. You need some tall targets out there to help. Regardless I hope we get a couple tall receivers this year.
Tell me how many balls were batted down on Murray this past season at OU?

So you’re telling me the offensive lineman in the NFL are much taller than in college? Hmmmm :mrgreen: I guess it’s possible considering Kyler Murray grew 3inches before the combine according to many here lol

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Rosen is pretty much the same QB that he was his freshman year. His ceiling is here, now. We drafted him because we had to.
Passing on Murray because we have a low risk, low cost QB now makes no sense. Passing on Murray to draft Bosa makes even less sense.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He can run really fast. :wink2:
What if the laws of physics are tested by him.

Newton's laws of motion
pl n
(General Physics) three laws of mechanics describing the motion of a body. The first law states that a body remains at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by a force. The second law states that a body's rate of change of momentum is proportional to the force causing it. The third law states that when a force acts on a body due to another body, then an equal and opposite force acts simultaneously on that body

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
1st part. Desperation is a bitch.

2nd part. It's all relative.

Regarding Jones..... Just dream work shopping. It probably wouldn't happen. Package could be picks also. Point is that the quick turnarounds require bold thinking.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That's why you don't aim for a quick, miraculous turnaround. You aim for sustainable long-term success. If you get too bold, you're burned for a very, very long time. Teams don't get better by abandoning draft picks from a year prior, or their best player.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Rosen is pretty much the same QB that he was his freshman year. His ceiling is here, now. We drafted him because we had to.
Passing on Murray because we have a low risk, low cost QB now makes no sense. Passing on Murray to draft Bosa makes even less sense.
That is ridiculous. Rookies, especially rookie QBs, are nowhere near their "ceiling."

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What if the laws of physics are tested by him.

Newton's laws of motion
pl n
(General Physics) three laws of mechanics describing the motion of a body. The first law states that a body remains at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by a force. The second law states that a body's rate of change of momentum is proportional to the force causing it. The third law states that when a force acts on a body due to another body, then an equal and opposite force acts simultaneously on that body

I'm going with a body in motion tends to stay in motion. LOL

HeHasRosen

All Star
Reaction score

This might be the worst take on this BS subject yet

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The exact opposite is true way more often than not for QBs.
I'm not even going to dignify that with a list of players who prove that completely wrong. It's only very recently that rookie QBs even see the field this early, but feel free to show me all of the QBs who had their best seasons as rookies and then maintained it. The most successful ones had talent around them.

Wait, he’ll get better. That’s inspiring.
Maybe, just maybe, I don't want to completely judge a guy who was being protected by street free agents on the OLine.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
How will being 5`10 help his accuracy in the NFL when he is playing against the best players around instead of in the pisspoor Big 12 defensive league?
How is Murray carving up Big XII defenses a discussion point, but Bosa dominating Big 10 offenses (at least from what I remember, it’s been a while) is not? Neither are very good.