Korey Cunningham traded to Pats for 6th Rounder

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what did we get in return? I cant see the tweets. just a 6th?
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27486307/pats-get-ol-cunningham-cardinals-trade

Pats get OL Cunningham from Cardinals in trade
1:41 PM MT
  • You must be registered for see images attach

Josh WeinfussESPN Staff Writer
TEMPE, Ariz. - Arizona Cardinals offensive tackle Korey Cunninghamannounced Wednesday on Instagram that he was traded to the New England Patriots.

The Cardinals will receive a sixth-round pick in return, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Field Yates. Cunningham later deleted the Instagram post.

Cunningham was drafted in the seventh round in 2018 by Arizona and started six games at left tackle in place of D.J. Humphries. That was all the action Cunningham saw as a rookie. He went on injured reserve in Week 17 with a foot injury.

The 6-foot-6, 311-pound Cunningham, who went to Cincinnati, lined up at first-team left tackle during training when Humphries was given days off. He was expected to be the Cardinals' back-up left tackle in 2019 with the potential to be their swing tackle.

The Patriots have a need for a swing tackle behind projected starting left tackle Isaiah Wynn (2018 first-round pick) and veteran starting right tackle Marcus Cannon.

Coincidentally, veteran Jared Veldheer, a former Cardinal, was a top candidate to fill that role before he retired in May. Yodny Cajuste, a 2019 third-round pick out of West Virginia, was another top candidate but he remains on the non-football injury list after reportedly undergoing quad surgery before the draft.

The acquisition of Cunningham most directly affects former practice squad players Dan Skipper and Cole Croston, who were vying for that role.

ESPN's Mike Reiss contributed to this report.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What this says to me is that Cunningham wasn't going to make the roster, and obviously wouldn't have cleared waivers so couldnt be added to the practice squad, so they got something rather than nothing for him.

Humphries, Gilbert, and Miles will be the tackles, with Cole available in emergencies is my guess.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What this says to me is that Cunningham wasn't going to make the roster, and obviously wouldn't have cleared waivers so couldnt be added to the practice squad, so they got something rather than nothing for him.

Humphries, Gilbert, and Miles will be the tackles, with Cole available in emergencies is my guess.

Cole is not a tackle.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Another move is coming. You know they have a list of guys who could be cut and may have to burn the 6th rounder to jump ahead of another team who would give up a 7th and bump in front of the cards waiver claim status

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
This according to a text I got from KTAR.

That makes no sense to me.

Oops, was on phone, missed the thread.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Exactly. We got a 6th for someone we were likely going to cut. When this normally happens, people complain why we didn't try to get value for players.

Keim has a lot of faults. Don't really see how this is one.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cunningham is not really that great. With that said, they better have someone in mind to replace him who is not currently on the roster or this is really stupid.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was leery about trading an OL for a Pat corner.

Cunningham was an exception because of his tendency to be a "flag magnet."

Am ambivalent about accepting a draft pick instead of the surplus NE corner folks here have been mentioning.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Pat's can afford to take on projects when you have possibly one of the best oline coaches of all time. Pat's only started winning Superbowls again when Scar came out of retirement.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen