Kirilenko--"I want to leave the Utah Jazz"

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
http://http://www.sltrib.com/jazz/ci_6931935

With the Jazz set to report to training camp in less than two weeks, Andrei Kirilenko's summer of discontent apparently came full circle Tuesday in the form of a trade demand that echoed in Russian and English.

Barely 48 hours after leading Russia to gold at the European championships in Spain, Kirilenko wrote in a blog post on the Russian Web site Sport Today that he was ready to leave Utah after six seasons.

"In a week, I need to join the Utah Jazz again, but quite frankly, I'm not really happy about that," wrote Kirilenko, who was named MVP of the EuroBasket tournament. "The past season was bad for me and I was really disappointed.

"I've thought about it a lot and I came to a decision. I want to leave Utah Jazz. The European championships that just ended became sort of a test for me and now I think I know what I want to do."

The blog post was translated by a member of Tribune staff.

The Jazz would face large obstacles in trying to trade Kirilenko, their highest-paid player owed $63 million on his contract through the 2010-11 season. They also face untold distractions as they open the season trying to build off a conference finals appearance.

Kirilenko also revealed that he approached Kevin O'Connor, the Jazz's senior vice president of basketball operations, a few weeks ago and asked to be traded.

O'Connor did not return multiple messages Tuesday night.

" 'I told him that I don't see myself in the team and want to leave," Kirilenko wrote. "Quite clearly, Utah and me see my place and role in the team differently. I don't want myself and my contract to be a burden for the club. I want the club to continue in its own direction."

"It's their choice. I have only one request: Let me, myself, go in the direction I want to go. I don't want to be there and mechanically fulfill a contract."

A source close to Kirilenko said he did not believe such a conversation with O'Connor took place. But Kirilenko wrote that he hadn't heard anything back from O'Connor or the organization in a week, which he took as a sign of disrespect.

"There's no response negative or positive and this silence is just one more evidence of the way they treat me," Kirilenko wrote. "Nevertheless, I'm really hopeful that Utah Jazz leadership will understand that our relationship is over and it's time for us to part ways."

Is it me, or is Marion is the only player in the NBA who doesn't want to play for Phx? And where does AK wind up now? Boston? :lol:

Buckle your seat belt...

Last edited:

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
like i posted in the other thread about this, this is good news for the suns in a way. if he is demanding a trade, then Utah is more pressed to send him somewhere he wants to go (PHX). if sending another player with him is what it takes, then that may just be what they have to do (pray for someone decent). this may also mean they have to take on a bad contract in order to ditch him, banks might look good in a jazz uniform.

just some thoughts from an optimist :)

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
like i posted in the other thread about this, this is good news for the suns in a way. if he is demanding a trade, then Utah is more pressed to send him somewhere he wants to go (PHX). if sending another player with him is what it takes, then that may just be what they have to do (pray for someone decent). this may also mean they have to take on a bad contract in order to ditch him, banks might look good in a jazz uniform.

just some thoughts from an optimist :)

I'm curious about the scenerios that include Banks. Who else is being targeted to make the numbers work (Milsap only makes $687K). I'm not wild about Giricek, but he has only one year so he might be a possibility. I can't see them giving up Harpring and at over $6 million a year with injury issues, that does not sound like a Sarver approved deal.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
no doubt that phoenix would insist on marion + banks. that is over 20M in salaries.

they have to take back 16M just for the 25% rule to work. Kirilenko is 13.8, they need either Collins or Giricek on top of it. Even then, its hard to envision:

Marion + Banks for AK + Giricek
or
Marion + Banks for AK + Collins

both are really upgrades for Utah and better than what they can get elsewhere. if they throw in brewer, almond or millsap, it would be interesting (especially if they threw in millsap, which would make it a no-brainer for me)

and you know what? if i'm utah and the asking price for marion is millsap, as long as i could extend him, that's a worthwhile deal. my god, that team is SCARY with that deal.

williams
brewer/harpring
marion
boozer
okur

i'd say the big 3 would become the big 4 with that trade. but phx would also be awesome if AK would play like he did back when they played him at a big position:

nash
bell/barbosa
hill
AK/millsap
amare/diaw

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
the question is: is he pissed because he's like the 4th option there or because he's not being utilized to his strengths? if its the former, we're just getting a lesser marion back, if its the latter, he's could be a stud here.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
First, I don't have much respect for players who demand or ask to be traded. No one forced him to sign with the Jazz. And now if Jazz are unable to move him, this is only going to create disruptions for them. You don't burn bridges before you cross them.

Second, I am still very much opposed to the idea of moving Marion for AK. If anyone thinks that Marion is overpaid given his production level, think how much worse AK's contract is going to look. He is due to make max money for the next four seasons. And AK has not been anywhere near as consistent as Shawn.
Is it me, or is Marion is the only player in the NBA who doesn't want to play for Phx?
Well, Tim Thomas didn't either. Or Michael Finley. Or John Salmons. I'm sure there are others. And I wouldn't necessarily say he doesn't want to play here. At least he never officially stated that.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Dealing Marion for AK seems like a lateral move at best with maybe a slight downgrade for us....I love AK though!

I'd be interested in a "non Marion" move for AK. I wonder if another package is feesible.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
The worst part of any marion-utah trade, is that marion makes them good fast.

marion/boozer/okur.. do we really want that to happen?

Sloan controlling the scariest forward trio in the game makes me demand nothing less than ak/milsap/brewer

Brewer is a good replacement for jones, milsap is a younger, more versatile KT with a weaker jumper and defense. the depth it brings could counteract losing marion, but I dont see this happening unless its a 3way for something comparable or if marion announces a trade demand too. If we can somehow shed banks it would be tempting too.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I couldn't imagine why they would even want banks when they already have 2 good PG's. Fisher is one of the premier back-ups in this league and maybe phx would enjoy him, but I doubt the jazz would want to give him up and take in banks. I wouldn't. AK for marion is interesting, but not worth it. They are both simular, but marion is clearly a more talented offensive player especially playing along side nash. If the suns ever do trade marion, which I don't believe they will, I think suns fans are going to regret it. I don't see this as being a good trade for the suns. now the mavs need another forward I think. cuban and nelson should be asking. I doubt the jazz will trade AK within the west,especially within their division, unless they get what they are asking for in return. That's how it almost always works in the nba.
not to mention isn't grant hill a forward. let's not forget about him.

Last edited:

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I couldn't imagine why they would even want banks when they already have 2 good PG's. Fisher is one of the premier back-ups in this league and maybe phx would enjoy him, but I doubt the jazz would want to give him up and take in banks. I wouldn't.

Fisher is on the Lakers now. He was bought out earlier this summer so he could play in a market where his daughter could get care they were comfortable with.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Update for lorenzo: Fisher left the Jazz and signed with the Lakers 2 months ago.

p.s. what does grant hill have to do with anything? is that a counter to the weak frontcourt claim?

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Update for lorenzo: Fisher left the Jazz and signed with the Lakers 2 months ago.

p.s. what does grant hill have to do with anything? is that a counter to the weak frontcourt claim?
my bad. I had no idea fisher left. thanks for the correction. grant hill alongside marion should work well for the suns. that's all I meant.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
or maybe the grant hill plug was a consolation prize for us suns fans for having to read how you think dallas needs another forward

Lorenzo

Reaction score
or maybe the grant hill plug was a consolation prize for us suns fans for having to read how you think dallas needs another forward
maybe. dallas could use a guy like AK. so could the suns, just not at the expense of losing marion. If they want to do that let em. it certainly will help the mavericks and every other elite team in the west.

OP
OP
F-Dog

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Well, Tim Thomas didn't either. Or Michael Finley. Or John Salmons. I'm sure there are others. And I wouldn't necessarily say he doesn't want to play here. At least he never officially stated that.
I'll give you Finley (though he showed low character by signing with the defending champs). Salmons went where the money was--he had no problem coming to Phx when they were the high bidder--and TT was even willing to take less to stay.

Utah isn't going to take Banks, not after signing Ronnie Price for $2m. I can just about guarantee you that.

If there's a deal that works now, it starts with Marion for Kirilenko and Ronnie Brewer. The Jazz will need to throw in another piece, though. ($3m? ;))

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I'll give you Finley (though he showed low character by signing with the defending champs). Salmons went where the money was--he had no problem coming to Phx when they were the high bidder--and TT was even willing to take less to stay.

Utah isn't going to take Banks, not after signing Ronnie Price for $2m. I can just about guarantee you that.

If there's a deal that works now, it starts with Marion for Kirilenko and Ronnie Brewer. The Jazz will need to throw in another piece, though. ($3m? ;))
do the suns need to get out marion's contract?

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
the question is: is he pissed because he's like the 4th option there or because he's not being utilized to his strengths? if its the former, we're just getting a lesser marion back, if its the latter, he's could be a stud here.

He'd rather play in the front court(as opposed to Marion who prefers the wing). He has also said he wants a bigger role in the offense where he has been pretty much relegated as a garbage man.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
He'd rather play in the front court(as opposed to Marion who prefers the wing). He has also said he wants a bigger role in the offense where he has been pretty much relegated as a garbage man.
that would be understandable. he is a hustle player. He could clearly fit a role for the suns or any team that has a need at forward.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
YOUJUSTGOTSUNSD, dallas doesn't have to have AK. they probably don't even need him. and it may not be a fit since AK wants more of a role and dallas has two all-star forwards anyway. the mavs could consider getting another small forward and playing josh howard at SG. but like many teams, they should at least consider him.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Mavs have there forwards fixed. Nowitski and Howard do not move from the 3 and 4. Unless AK wants to come off the bench. A unhappy max player off the bench at that. Pretty much, the only things the Mavs and Cuban would want is a guard.

AK would be the ideal 4 for the Suns. But as I've said on other forums and to other fans. Suns should only trade if it leaves them elite or a better for the next 3-4 seasons. And AK and Milsap is the only thing that comes to mind from the Jazz.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Any trade involving the Suns losing Marion and replacing him w/ AK is a bad trade. AK's contract is a much worse than Marions, and can't nearly match Marions production. So, you have to try to devise a non Marion trade, however thats tough to do since AKs contract is so terrible, here is about the only deal that works under the cap:

Utah sends:
AK47

Phoenix sends:
Boris Diaw
Alando Tucker
Eric Piatkowski
DJ Strawberry
Marcus Banks

So it completely depletes the bench and doesn't make any sense. Also, I know there are a lot of Diaw haters on this board, but his numbers are very similar to AKs (though he's not as good of a defender).

Boris Diaw
6-8 PF from France (Foreign)
9.7 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 4.8 apg, .4spg, .5bpg, 53% FG, 68%FT, 33% FG% in 31.1 minutes

6-9 SF from Russia (Foreign)
8.3 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 2.9 apg, 1.1spg, 2.1bpg, 47% FG, 72% FT, 21% 3P% in 29.3 minutes

So Boris they are about even in scoring and rebounding. Boris is a much better passer, and has slightly better shooting percentages, but AK is a better defender.

AK's probably better, but if you take in their production relative to their contracts, Ill take Diaw any day of the week.

Basically what I'm saying is, the Suns shouldn't be looking into AK47, he doesn't help the Suns, especially considering his price tag.

cly2tw

Reaction score

With AK, it's more of a salary dump kind of situation for Utah. So, the last two year's of AK's contract minus Banks', they still save about 25mil over that time span. Banks could just be waived right away. If he could turn into anything positive, it'd be a plus for them. In worst case, they could include another bench PG they have into the deal.

Muggum

Registered
Reaction score
Kirilenko is terrible! A shell of his former self. ALWAYS injured, too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard