Kipers Latest

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
NFL Mock Draft 2011

With college football bowl season kicking off, all eyes are beginning to focus on Mel Kiper Jr., Todd McShay and the hysteria that accompanies the months leading up to the NFL Draft.

Mock Drafts often plagiarize each other, with everyone getting caught up in media-driven hype.

But the fact is, things will change. For one, Stanford quarterback—and presumed No.1 overall pick—Andrew Luck has maintained that he won't enter the draft. But that doesn't stop pundits from putting him at the top of their draft boards.

Luck is a good student who wants to graduate, is in a great situation at Stanford and, with all of the uncertainty regarding a lockout, who's to say he's going to stay in school?

So working under the assumption that Luck stays in Palo Alto, who will be the first quarterback off the board?

Auburn's Cam Newton? Arkansas' Ryan Mallett? Washington's Jake Locker?

And what about Missouri's Blaine Gabbert? Did you see him carve up Iowa in the Insight Bowl (minus the picks)?

Here's my 2011 NFL Mock Draft.
1. Carolina Panthers: Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
I didn't like Jimmy Clausen at Notre Dame, and I don't like him in Carolina.

It's tough to speculate who Carolina will pick given their uncertain coaching situation, but they really need a quarterback.

I know Newton might face a steep learning curve in the NFL, but the Panthers aren't exactly in win-now mode.

They should go with the ultimate upside-pick here.

2. Denver Broncos: Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn

Two picks, two Tigers off the board.

Fairley has been the most dominant defensive tackle in college football this season.

3. Cincinnati Bengals: Da’Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson

The perfect cure for the Bengals’ pass-rushing woes.

4. Buffalo Bills: Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina

With Ryan Fitzpatrick’s inspired play, there’s no need to reach for a quarterback.

Quinn might be the best athlete in the draft.

They’ll just have to make sure he checks out in the interview process.

5. San Francisco 49ers: Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas

This pick depends on who the 49ers' next coach is.

But it’s a safe bet to assume whoever it is would like Mallett, a 6’7” physical specimen with a cannon arm.

6. Houston Texans: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU

Who would’ve thought the Texans would be just outside the top five?

This is a blessing in disguise, as they can select the top cornerback on the board.

7. Detroit Lions: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska

The next-best cornerback on the board and a pretty good consolation prize.

8. Dallas Cowboys: Nate Solder, OT, Colorado

The Cowboys would be smart to trade down—their biggest need is OT, but there aren’t any elite prospects this year—but if they stay at No. 8, they should pick this 6’9”, 313 lbs. freak.

9. Cleveland Browns: A.J. Green, WR, Georgia

The Browns would be thrilled to see the best receiver in the draft drop to No. 9.

This is a no-brainer.

10. Arizona Cardinals: Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh, Cards just took a DT in the first round. Duh, not a need in the least.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is not KIPER's latest. He hasn't posted a draft prediction since Dec. 22.

Who is the author?

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
No way that happens, the Card's defense is not good enough to afford to draft another DT ala the Ravens did this past draft with Mount Coady.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
watching the pinstripe bowl,...it seems that Ohio state made all of those players who are suspended next season,...promise to return to Ohio state next year,......or they were not going to let them travel to the bowl game.
Guess they cant really stop them from declaring for the draft anyway,...just think it is kinda funny.

cgolden

Registered
Reaction score
My latest.........Von Miller is growing on me and we do end up with the 10th pick, he's my guy.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The plus side to Miller as opposed to other OLB 3-4 prospects, is that he's already played the standup rushbacker position in college. That's quite rare, and he did it at a very high level.

Dareus is not a need; not that I'm suggesting a need based approach, but I do believe in drafting (at least early picks) best player available at a position of needs.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This mock assumes we beat SF, which is a pretty big assumption. As of now, we have the fifth pick.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
With one game to go we actually have a very wide range of possible draft slots that we could possible have, anywhere from 2 to 9.

Cam Newton may just the gamble you take.

After that though, anything other then CB's-Peterson or Amukamara in the top 5 are the only picks I would make.

From pick 5 to 9 the only other pick I would make are the above if available is the best OT and probably 1st one to be taken off the board. No DE, no DT, and no Quinn.

Another good article from Muth lead me to that decision - http://www.footballoutsiders.com/word-muth/2010/word-muth-satellite-radio

The OL's problem is not Lutui, it is not Lyle, it is not Faneca (probably Hadnot next year). He even gives props for Bridges. The problem is and may have always been the horrid play of Levi Brown. Muth straight up calls him not a starting NFL tackle. 4 seasons later and he is still not a viable LT option. Ugh.

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
The OL's problem is not Lutui, it is not Lyle, it is not Faneca (probably Hadnot next year). He even gives props for Bridges. The problem is and may have always been the horrid play of Levi Brown. Muth straight up calls him not a starting NFL tackle. 4 seasons later and he is still not a viable LT option. Ugh.

where I am at: assuming we draft at #5 - #9 -- trade down a few spots ( assuming you can) and take Nate Solder, LT Colorado. 6-8, huge wingspan. Light on his feet. Former TE so he is athletic. Levi goes to guard to replace Faneca. I just want the offensive line fixed.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The problem is and may have always been the horrid play of Levi Brown. Muth straight up calls him not a starting NFL tackle. 4 seasons later and he is still not a viable LT option. Ugh.

Don't tell that to K9...:D

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

Joe, I agree Levi is the teams biggest problem on the Oline, though I don't think Seindlein is in the top 20 centers in the NFL either. The problem the Cards made in selecting Brown is you always draft the best football player when selecting in the top 10 instead of drafting for need. The Cards have done this more than once in Rolle & Bryant to name a few. Please Cards, draft the highest player on your board & fits what your trying to do offensively or defensively.

I still think Quinn could be that guy & would be happy with him.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We play a 3-4 as of right now. Why would we draft a DT in the first round? This would mean either this year's or next 1st round pick would be a bench player. So, are we going to waste a #10 on a potential part time player? I think not. If we indeed do draft at 10, BPA at that point.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
We play a 3-4 as of right now. Why would we draft a DT in the first round? This would mean either this year's or next 1st round pick would be a bench player. So, are we going to waste a #10 on a potential part time player? I think not. If we indeed do draft at 10, BPA at that point.

It's not Kiper's draft it's some other buffoons draft. This guy says he hated Clausen to the Panthers, but we all know Kiper loved Clausen.

This mock draft is absolute garbage. Even worse than the garbage that Kiper puts out

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Joe, I agree Levi is the teams biggest problem on the Oline, though I don't think Seindlein is in the top 20 centers in the NFL either. The problem the Cards made in selecting Brown is you always draft the best football player when selecting in the top 10 instead of drafting for need. The Cards have done this more than once in Rolle & Bryant to name a few. Please Cards, draft the highest player on your board & fits what your trying to do offensively or defensively.

I still think Quinn could be that guy & would be happy with him.

I love Quinn (and he is my choice at this point as I think that he is the most talented player likely to be available that fits our passrushing needs) but I am concerned that he missed an ENTIRE season. Anyone know if he has been practicing hard with the team. What's the word on how he has handled the situation?

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
I love Quinn (and he is my choice at this point as I think that he is the most talented player likely to be available that fits our passrushing needs) but I am concerned that he missed an ENTIRE season. Anyone know if he has been practicing hard with the team. What's the word on how he has handled the situation?

I'm sure those concerns will be addressed once he does his workouts.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I enjoy reading Muth as well but I think he makes a rather glaring mistake. He writes about Bridges starting off the year poorly and how bad he was in the Chargers game, wasn't that BK at that point of the season?

If he confuses the two of them and doesn't know he was looking at two different players then???????

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The problem is and may have always been the horrid play of Levi Brown. Muth straight up calls him not a starting NFL tackle. 4 seasons later and he is still not a viable LT option. Ugh.
I'm not sayin'/I'm just sayin': We might be well-advise to pay extra close attention to the Rose Bowl - specifically the guys on the Wisconsin O-line. (Their LT - Carini (sp?)? - is supposed to be a beast.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Uh, Cards just took a DT in the first round. Duh, not a need in the least.

Drafting to fill need is a precarious position to be in, and should be avoided if possible. Filling needs is better left to free agency.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If we draft outside of the top 6, I would not be shocked to see us take a tackle. If both CB's are off the board I really like Von Miller's experience standing up and speed off the edge, but if one of the top tackles shows enough, I would not be opposed to taking one early.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not Kiper's draft it's some other buffoons draft. This guy says he hated Clausen to the Panthers, but we all know Kiper loved Clausen.

This mock draft is absolute garbage. Even worse than the garbage that Kiper puts out

I'm not a big fan of Clausen only because, like Florida, QB's from Notre Dame are often unsuccessful in the NFL, Joe Montana not withstanding. Beuerlein had an OK career(I still think Buddy Ryan was an idiot replacing him with Jim McMahon in 1994), but not great. There's been more flops than anything else.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of Clausen only because, like Florida, QB's from Notre Dame are often unsuccessful in the NFL, Joe Montana not withstanding. Beuerlein had an OK career(I still think Buddy Ryan was an idiot replacing him with Jim McMahon in 1994), but not great. There's been more flops than anything else.

Joe Theisman, league MVP and Super Bowl winner.