King Crab Legs

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind if this discussion gets moved to a new and improved butter thread.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Melted butter or just room temperature soft butter? Either way sounds like a kinky death.

I, being a polite food forum hit man, would let you choose at what stage of melt you want the weapon of your murder to be.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
room temperature is plenty warm enough to keep something melted. It would have to be very cold in order for the butter to become solid again. Butter melts at room temperature.

How hot are your rooms? Ever leave a stick of butter out at room temp? it retains its shape, but most assuredly doesnt melt.

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
Butter: The Natural Choice. butterisbest.com. 13 May 2003.
"Melting Point: 82.4 - 96.8 °F (28-36 °C)
Analysis: Melting point measures the temperature range at which a solid becomes a liquid. Butter's narrow melting range provides a sharp melting curve, for a quick flavor release and smooth mouthfeel."28 °C-36 °

Source

We leave our butter out also, all the time... It stays a soft solid unless it is just crazy hot... Real butter only, BTW...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Butter: The Natural Choice. butterisbest.com. 13 May 2003.
"Melting Point: 82.4 - 96.8 °F (28-36 °C)
Analysis: Melting point measures the temperature range at which a solid becomes a liquid. Butter's narrow melting range provides a sharp melting curve, for a quick flavor release and smooth mouthfeel."28 °C-36 °

Source

We leave our butter out also, all the time... It stays a soft solid unless it is just crazy hot... Real butter only, BTW...

Hmm, 82.4 seems a bit high for us.

I wonder if there is a difference in the generic butter that my mom used to buy.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Butter's melting point is often around 90 degrees - margarine is similar, but has a much broader range depending on how it was manufactured

some bakers margerine has a much higher melting point - often traditional home use margerine has a lower melting point

this is due to science tweaking margarine to stay soft longer (so you don't rip your toast apart and such.........)

it will congeal though and reform a solid pendin on how warm you keep your room

in AZ i keep my house at around 76-82 degrees - when I lived back east it would be between 65-73 degrees on most occasions

with that said, growing up and eating at my school cafeteria they would put liquid butter on our potatoes - this would often overflow out of it's section of the tray into other sections

by the end of the meal I could pick up my entire tray by grabbing my milk carton cemented in by congealed butter

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
you need to clarify between soft and melted - melted is the full conversion from solid to liquid - soft butter still maintains some solid properties

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Its not GEE! I pointed you to. Its McGee! Hes like a sith lord of the kitchen. Dont mess with him!

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I, being a polite food forum hit man, would let you choose at what stage of melt you want the weapon of your murder to be.

You're integrity has not gone un-noticed fine sir. I shall choose the temperature of my demise carefully.