Kinect

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't attest to the hardware or anything, but we've had the Kinect for a few months now, and the kids still play the wii more. Part of that could be because they have better access to the TV that the Wii is connected to, but I don't think that's entirely why. The games are expensive...I dunno. It's pretty cool; the kids just don't use it (or ask to use it) as much as I thought they would.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Kinect also has voice recognition. You can just tell it what you want it to do.

I told it to get in the kitchen and make me a sandwich!
This has been a MAJOR source of contention with dcr. Anytime we are watching tv via Netflix on the xbox, the damn voice recognition thinks it picks up something & usually winds up stopping what we're watching.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We rarely use the Wii any more. When the kids play any games, it's usually Kinect or just plain x360. We pause on netflix for the voice recco, but not often.

The sports game gets the most burn in our house - beach volleyball kills me. :)

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So I grabbed it yesterday. I have to say that with the limited amount of time I spent on Kinect Adventures I was pretty impressed. The responsiveness is a lot better than the Wii in my opinion. Just looking at high def graphics again is nice as well. The kids played it pretty much all day and love it so far.

One question about avatars, so we created profiles for all four of us, and when a second player jumps into a game like Adventures, is it supposed to sense who the player is and then add that specific avatar? I may have helped my wife create her profile, and when she jumped in there were two of my avatars playing but when my kids jump in it seems to recognize them just fine. Is there some point when the Kinect measures up the player upon creating the avatar and assigns them value? Does that make sense?

Hardware seems lightyears better than the old 360s. Silent and about half the size. Seriously doubt this will ever RROD on me but who knows.

Found a 360 HD DVD player and 50 HD DVDs on craigslist for $40 and bought it. Why not.

Donald.....Disneyland Kinect is a must own. It is THE reason we have the Kinect.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there some point when the Kinect measures up the player upon creating the avatar and assigns them value? Does that make sense?

The more times you scan yourself in and in different lighting conditions, the better it recognizes you. We rarely get misrecognized in our games.

Donald.....Disneyland Kinect is a must own. It is THE reason we have the Kinect.

Yeah, that looks great. We love Disneyland and go every year. Our kids will flip for this game. Also, as a swim family, the Michael Phelps swimming game will likely find its way onto our shelf.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its cool but alot of the games plain out suck, I mean how many dancing games do you need? Great technology but I dont think they have quite figured out what to do with it yet. Games like swimming....how do I do that?

My main issue with kinect and whatnot is I dont really feel like standing in my living room and end up playing normal games to I can sit and relax.

Kids do love it, bottom line.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My main issue with kinect and whatnot is I dont really feel like standing in my living room and end up playing normal games to I can sit and relax.

Kids do love it, bottom line.

I agree with the above although if it wasn't for my kids, who have no problem getting up and moving around, then I wouldn't own a game console at all. I can still play some FIFA or Ghost Recon when I get the urge but the Kinect makes the system much more valuable to my family as a whole. My wife posted on Facebook that we got Kinect and it was the best thing ever. I never thought I would see that comment from her about a video game console in my life. Mission accomplished.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with the above although if it wasn't for my kids, who have no problem getting up and moving around, then I wouldn't own a game console at all. I can still play some FIFA or Ghost Recon when I get the urge but the Kinect makes the system much more valuable to my family as a whole. My wife posted on Facebook that we got Kinect and it was the best thing ever. I never thought I would see that comment from her about a video game console in my life. Mission accomplished.

Yup, big + if the fam loves it.

I still dig some quality time on an arcade game or two, not a huge gamer but when I do game I want to relax. Kinect can be fun but even when i think I want to play it I change my mind when I have to stand up.

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
I play all my games standing up. Not sure why but people think I am weird for doing that. I grew up playing arcade games standing up so it just seems normal to me.

As far as Kinect, eh, we don't use ours that much really. I would say it gets used maybe 2-3 hours a month. Lack of decent games really. The technology is great but I think they over hyped this, surprise surprise, and it is taking way to long to get any decent games out to the public. My kids and I prefer to play the normal games with a controller

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I play all my games standing up. Not sure why but people think I am weird for doing that. I grew up playing arcade games standing up so it just seems normal to me.

As far as Kinect, eh, we don't use ours that much really. I would say it gets used maybe 2-3 hours a month. Lack of decent games really. The technology is great but I think they over hyped this, surprise surprise, and it is taking way to long to get any decent games out to the public. My kids and I prefer to play the normal games with a controller

You guys must not be dance machines.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kinect is rather dissapointing honestly. I never use it. Neither does my 10 year old.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We use the crap out of it. Tiger 2013 is fun. The Phelps swimming game is really interesting. Kids love Haunt and a couple of other games. When we play, which is rarely, they are all over kinect. Their current addiction is Double Fine Happy Action Theatre, which isn't really a game and rather just a freaky interesting time waster.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't get any of my nieces or nephews to play it much. It's somewhat buggy unless you have the perfect (distance) set up. I don't. My living room is short.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't get any of my nieces or nephews to play it much. It's somewhat buggy unless you have the perfect (distance) set up. I don't. My living room is short.

need perfect lighting too. If the detection was perfect, I may enjoy it more.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use the functionality a lot for Skyrim. It is perfect adding benefits to an existing game.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard