Kindle or IPad?

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
For those who have experience with both or either, what would you suggest I buy?

My wife would like a Kindle for Christmas but I wonder if it would be worth the extra money to buy an IPad. I haven't been in a store to look at either but I imagine the Ipad to be very similar to my Ipod touch and I don't know how easy it would be for her to download books on an IPad. Also, Kindles have free 3G so she could download nearly anywhere (according to Amazon website).

I'll continue my research and hope someone on ASFN can offer advice.

Thanks.

For what it's worth, the only advantage I can imagine with the IPad for her would be she could browse the net occaisionally and she looks at Facebook a lot.

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Ipad... Then have the books delivered to your computer via torrent.

If you plan on paying for the books.... Kindle is nice.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The iPad is essentially worthless as a serious electronic reader. If she's going to be spending time reading full novels on it, go with the Kindle. Its battery life is far, far superior, and its screen (for most) is much easier on the eyes.

OP
OP
azmike74

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ipad... Then have the books delivered to your computer via torrent.

If you plan on paying for the books.... Kindle is nice.

Unfortunately my wife is not down with downloading via torrent. We got an email from either Cox or HBO or both a few years ago when I was downloading the Sopranos and I had to "promise" to never do it again.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
My parents bought a Kindle and a Nook so they would never have issues finding a specific book. They are freaking hooked.

Have fun. Both are nice. Kindle is my fave.

OP
OP
azmike74

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The iPad is essentially worthless as a serious electronic reader. If she's going to be spending time reading full novels on it, go with the Kindle. Its battery life is far, far superior, and its screen (for most) is much easier on the eyes.

That makes it seem to be a pretty simple choice for me, thanks for the input.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
That makes it seem to be a pretty simple choice for me, thanks for the input.

Depends what you want to do with it. I have the Kindle app on my iPad and read the books that way. Then I can switch over to reading emails, posting on ASFN, etc.

OP
OP
azmike74

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Depends what you want to do with it. I have the Kindle app on my iPad and read the books that way. Then I can switch over to reading emails, posting on ASFN, etc.

Do you have any complaints about the battery life on the IPad? Apple's website claims a 9 or 10 hour battery life. That would seem pretty good for our needs.

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Ipad on wifi has very good battery life.

Ipad on 3G is about half.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neither. Wait just a few weeks and get the Notion Ink Adam tablet. Better everything that IPad and Kindle, and cheaper than IPad. Google it and you'll be hooked.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Do you have any complaints about the battery life on the IPad? Apple's website claims a 9 or 10 hour battery life. That would seem pretty good for our needs.

No. I only charge mine once a week and that is only when I use it heavily. They said that you could watch movies the whole time if you were to fly across the Pacific and I believe that.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
How about the Color Nook? I am thinking of getting that for my wife, she can get her magazines on there as well as her books and we already spend a ton of money at Barnes & Noble.

OP
OP
azmike74

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Honestly.... The blackberry playbook is the one we should all be waiting for.

OP
OP
azmike74

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Well, I went to the Apple store this morning to check some things out. I realized I kinda wanted the Ipad because I could use it too. Then I realized I'd like the keyboard docking station, the mouse pad, and a couple other accessories lol.

Long story short, my wife is getting a Kindle and some diamond stud earrings because that's what she wanted. I do think she would have liked the Ipad because she loves her Ipod touch. I think I'll shop again for a tablet or maybe even a laptop early next year.

Thanks to all of you for the links and suggestions, I learned a lot and will reference this thread the next time I'm shopping.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Funny how this thread started as "a gift for my wife" and ended with "I bought it for myself" :)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny how this thread started as "a gift for my wife" and ended with "I bought it for myself" :)

My wife actually wants to know if I want an IPAD. I am thinking if I say yes then I can give it to her when the new one comes out in June. The new one is rumored to have better screen, "digital Ink", more memory, and some other improvements.

The only think is that I don't think she cares about the IPAD and I don't want to get stuck with the current one then be peeved that I didn't wait.

OP
OP
azmike74

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

LOL, I'm seriously not that bad of a person! I just thought she could do more with an Ipad and I would get to mess around with it too.

Hopefully the Kindle doesn't end up collecting dust in April. :)

Angel

Registered
Reaction score
LOL, I'm seriously not that bad of a person! I just thought she could do more with an Ipad and I would get to mess around with it too.

Hopefully the Kindle doesn't end up collecting dust in April. :)

My husband gave me Kindle for my birhtday; I am considering leaving him for it. :)

Seriously though I am in freaking love with it.

Going on two months now and I have only had to charge it once (I read at least 2-3 hours a day), get books delivered to me in under 30 seconds so if I finish one there is an entire bookstore in the wings without carrying 3 around with me (Yes I am a nerd).

Kindle is closest to the "book' experience to me. I was afraid I would miss the paper, page turning; heck I even thought I would miss bookmarks. It only took about a week to get used to and I haven't looked back. Didn't want iPad for E-Reading or even color, my PC and Mini both have the Kindle app on them and I'd still prefer reading on the device and I actually spend less on books than I used to buying the "real" thing. The only drawback so far has been that I can’t use the digital library or lend books to friends, I believe Nook will do both.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I just bought my Mom a Kindle for Christmas. I hope she's not intimidated by the new-fangled technology, lol. I played with it at best buy and it seemed very easy but we'll see. lol

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
Thought I would ring with this doozy...

A few months ago I bought my wife a Kindle along with Amazon's products that go with it such as the charge kit, protective screen sleeve, and the leather cover with night light.

Well last week the Kindle quit working and we tried the troubleshooting steps in the booklet and on the website to no avail. After several hours of trying to get them on the phone (we got hung up on quite a bit) we finally talk to somebody and they tell us to go through the troubleshooting steps without the book in the leather cover.

The guy then explains that Amazon's own leather cover is causing problems with Kindles and in many cases causing the Kindle to no longer work. Fortunately it came back on after we did that and we are now waiting on a decision of whether or not they will reimburse for the leather cover ($60 + taxes and shipping) and we've asked for a new Kindle to replace this one as we can't be sure now that it'll continue to work.

So if anybody gets a Kindle or has one now and you are thinking about or are already using the leather cover please stop doing so. The guy recommended that we use a plastic skin.