Kerry Rhodes still unemployed?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think any statements the league is making about being ready for gay players are being proven false...

The dude played like a grown ass man last year, the 2nd best player in arguably the best secondary in the NFL... its mid-july and he still cant find work.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hes quoted on PFT a week ago that he is in talks with 4 teams looking for the best decision for him and in no rush.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps.

But we also have a situation where this year the value of free agents is down and Rhodes refused a pay cut (actually can't remember now...was that confirmed?). Early on it could have been as simple as he was waiting to get an offer he liked.

Now that a bunch of time has passed he's probably got feelers/offers from teams akin to what we got Dansby for. A couple million per year on a 1 or 2 year deal. If so he might as well wait for the right fit.

If players were signing for outrageous sums like in past years it would be imo fishy. But I think in this case it's simply a buyer's market and this was a great draft for safeties, who also come cheaply. Hell there's still some good vets out there, so at this point I think he's going to have a real cheap contract.

What's interesting to watch is Buffalo's Jarius Byrd. He wants to be paid top dollar and hasn't signed his franchise tender and may hold out during camp/preseason.

In today's market he's probably lucky they franchised him as he'd probably not get nearly what he thinks he'd get on the open market. With the salaries of safeties going down he's crazy to want top dollar. He's not worth what he wants, and with the price going down, if he received what he wanted it would stick out like a sore thumb.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
with him saying he has suiters, I am under the impression he is avoiding training camp like most vets want to .

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
with him saying he has suiters, I am under the impression he is avoiding training camp like most vets want to .

Or as I like to call it.. "Pulling a Favre"

"I'm retired... oh, training camp is over? Oh what the hell, I'll have another go at it!"

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some, after suggesting the Cards should carry him at $6m for a year, believed he'd be a hot commodity.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some, after suggesting the Cards should carry him at $6m for a year, believed he'd be a hot commodity.

I'd venture to guess most of that some didn't realize there were "other" reasons he might have been cut besides salary which have now been rumored.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Youre not suggesting he was CUT because of his purported sexual preference are you?

i don't know...all i DO know is that...

a) had a great season last year
b) is in the prime of his career
c) was then cut
d) with salary cap to spare and
c) hasn't landed anywhere yet.

something's fishy about all of that.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i don't know...all i DO know is that...

a) had a great season last year
b) is in the prime of his career
c) was then cut
d) with salary cap to spare and
c) hasn't landed anywhere yet.

something's fishy about all of that.

A) yes
B) past age 30 is not viewed as prime
C) was cut after rumoured attempt to renegotiate
D) a $6m cap hit hardly seems like wise use of cap space that can be carried over into next season
E) perhaps how much he wants is the reason

Ed Reed, a first ballot Hall of Famer, signed a $15m three year deal. $3.3m cap hit in 2013.

Last edited:

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He knows his value, most likely has offers, and is also most likely avoiding training camp like the plague.

1DS

Registered
Reaction score
From what I remember, there was no attempt to restructure his contract. Simply cut.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I remember, there was no attempt to restructure his contract. Simply cut.

Not true, they wanted to talk extension and he said he was not interested in extending. End of story

04:26 PM ET 12.17 | A consistent performer at the back end of Arizona's defense since arriving via trade in 2010, veteran safety Kerry Rhodes and the Cardinals' organization are reportedly in discussions about a contract extension according to Mike Jurecki of XTRA 910. The 30-year-old Rhodes ranks second on the team with four interceptions this season, and leads all defensive backs with 55 total tackles despite sitting out in Week 7 against Minnesota due to injury. He is currently under contract all the way through next season at $4.5 million, but it's quite clear that Arizona wants to assure that Rhodes and star cornerback Patrick Peterson are each around for the foreseeable future in the secondary.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/357112-cardinals-talking-extension-with-kerry-rhodes

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To the cardinals wanted him here they wanted to restructure and extend him, Rhodes made it known he was going to test the free agent market when his deal was up and that he didn't really want to be part of a rebuilding project at this stage in his career. He found out pretty quick no one was going to give him the money or years Arizona was.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A) yes
B) past age 30 is not viewed as prime
C) was cut after rumoured attempt to renegotiate
D) a $6m cap hit hardly seems like wise use of cap space that can be carried over into next season
E) perhaps how much he wants is the reason

Ed Reed, a first ballot Hall of Famer, signed a $15m three year deal. $3.3m cap hit in 2013.

B) I'd argue that a safety who hasn't shown any signs of slowing down still right in his prime. Maybe at the end of it, but still in having not even turned 31 for another month.

C) rumored...and who knows what was offered...if anything.

D) with a team still apparently 11 million under the cap, it doesn't seem like a good football move to cut a guy who was one if the best players in a very good D, especially when you replace him with a S who's wayyyyy past his prime at age 36.

E) perhaps this is true.

Time will tell here.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Rhodes was/is just overrated by many on here. The reason he isn't signed is because there was a strong safety market this year and Rhodes was about the 6th-7th best, maybe even lower, one available.
Goldson
Reed
Chung
Landry
Pollard
Quin
Phillips(when healthy)
Woodson
George Wilson
were all better options and available. That doesn't even include Delmas and Clemons who re-signed with their original teams.

I never noticed the Cards defense being better or worse whether Rhodes was in the lineup, or not. He's a solid player and made some nice plays for the Cards but he's very replaceable.

That being said, I'd rather have him back there instead of Johnson but I would not break the bank for him. A 1-2 year deal averaging about $1.5 mill is all I'd spend on him. I'm sure he thinks he's worth more and that's why he's still sitting at home.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Youre not suggesting he was CUT because of his purported sexual preference are you?
A good question but not all that simple to answer - there are lots of moving parts.

Kerry comes across as a well-groomed, physically well-put-together athlete whom I believe has pursued an acting career. Does that make him gay? Not necessarily. Is he gay? (Purported does not necessarily mean "is"). I have no idea whether he is or isn't. (Nor do I care - all I want to know is "can he still play football and help us?"). Incidentally, who's doing the purporting?

Or...Was he cut for some other plausible reason - like (a) age, (b) football skills or lack thereof, (c) fit within the new system, (d) supply and demand, (e) money and/or (f) negotiating obnoxiousness?

Relying on D Urban's reporting, his Tweets etc., I'd guess that Kerry's off-season "body language" signaled that, for whatever reason, he didn't want to return to the Cardinals.

It could be as simple as that.

Sam Wise

Big, Dumb, Stupid Looking
Reaction score
Rhodes was/is just overrated by many on here. The reason he isn't signed is because there was a strong safety market this year and Rhodes was about the 6th-7th best, maybe even lower, one available.
Goldson
Reed
Chung
Landry
Pollard
Quin
Phillips(when healthy)
Woodson
George Wilson
were all better options and available. That doesn't even include Delmas and Clemons who re-signed with their original teams.

Really??? all these guys, umm have you actually watched them. I would argue that with the list you have given Rhodes is the most complete compared to each except Reed and Woodson.
Goldson can't cover deep(ask the Ravens about this one)
Chung, Quin, Phillips, and Landry are slower and injury prone.
Pollard is an idiot and a liability for a PF and just can't read an offense.
Wilson isn't bad, he can read and react, but lacks the recovery speed.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think he is a very good player who can still bring it but isn't worth what he thinks he deserves. I also think he is a guy who has a difficult time getting along with some (i.e. the Jets) so may just have a surly ego that people don't want to deal with but that doesn't make him gay. Apparently Terrell Owens has traits that make him unlikable. If he is that way and wouldn't work with the Cards at all then why pay a guy 6M on a one year deal?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Really??? all these guys, umm have you actually watched them. I would argue that with the list you have given Rhodes is the most complete compared to each except Reed and Woodson.
Goldson can't cover deep(ask the Ravens about this one)
Chung, Quin, Phillips, and Landry are slower and injury prone.
Pollard is an idiot and a liability for a PF and just can't read an offense.
Wilson isn't bad, he can read and react, but lacks the recovery speed.
Nope, i've never seen them play. Was just going by names :rolleyes:.

You have your opinion but isn't it ironic how all those lesser and flawed safeties have been signed by either their own or other teams while the more complete Rhodes is still waiting for an offer.