The GM must be crazy!!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
speculation this time of year is rampant. How do we fix our team? What does the team really need? Opinions vary on both topics and debate runs wild. But one thing we mostly all know/believe is that the NFL is a quarterback driven league, and without a good one teams rarely get far.
So we have Kyler Murray. The kid has shown flashes. But do flashes justify the enormous investment Mike B made in him last winter? Hell, he certainly didnt show any of those flashes after he got paid.
so it creates a dilemma. How do we get Murray to improve? The injury doesnt help either...or does it?
One thing we can be certain motivates Kyler is LFS (Little ****** syndrome) not in every day life but specifically in regards to football. Since peewee football, when all the other kids got taller and Kyler didnt he has certainly been told he isnt tall enough to play quarterback. So he has had to prove it. Fortunately for him his athletic profile is off the charts. Height may be an issue but he made up for it by being elusive and scrambling for both yards and time... something most 6'5 lanky quarterbacks cannot successfully do.
But some can.
Here is the crazy.
Draft Anthony Richardson ... 6'4, 240 pounds... and he runs like Kyler Murray with a 4.4.

even without a trade back the salary slot for the 3 slot is about 8mil a year. That sounds like a lot for a backup QB, but we are already paying Colt McCoy 5mil a year. so we really wouldnt be picking up that much salary.

The kids draft profile, pros and cons, reads nearly identical to Josh Allen.... Allen defied convention and fixed his accuracy issues when everyone said it couldn't be fixed. So call the guy and ask him how.

you sell this to Richardson by making it clear. He will start for us in 2023 come hell or high water. But we need him ready. Then, you promise him that so long as he works hard and develops into an NFL starting QB he WILL be starting for somebody before his rookie contract is up. Maybe us, or maybe someone else.

For Kyler, you tell him its still his team. We made this move so that he doesnt have to rush back and risk reinjuring his knee. We want him to take his time, heal, learn the playbook... be 100 percent ready before he comes back even if it takes the entire season.

absolute worst case is Richardson flames out and Kyler develops the idea this is his team and he doesnt even have to work to prove it.

Best case,.. in two years we have 2 athletic young multi threat quarterbacks and have to trade 1 of them for 3 first round draft picks.

The trick to it all working is fixing Richardsons accuracy. Because I guarantee, a new head coach coming right out the gate and drafting a quarterback 6 inches taller than him.... that will motivate Kyler Murray

yeah.... then get a DT in the 2nd and a center in the 3rd

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There ain't no fixing his accuracy. I've watched my Kentucky Wildcats beat his Gators team two years in a row now. The game in Lexington 2 years ago I remember thinking "this dude sucks passing the ball" he didn't look any better this year in Gainesville against us either. I think the GM is fine & you crazy lol.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
speculation this time of year is rampant. How do we fix our team? What does the team really need? Opinions vary on both topics and debate runs wild. But one thing we mostly all know/believe is that the NFL is a quarterback driven league, and without a good one teams rarely get far.
So we have Kyler Murray. The kid has shown flashes. But do flashes justify the enormous investment Mike B made in him last winter? Hell, he certainly didnt show any of those flashes after he got paid.
so it creates a dilemma. How do we get Murray to improve? The injury doesnt help either...or does it?
One thing we can be certain motivates Kyler is LFS (Little ****** syndrome) not in every day life but specifically in regards to football. Since peewee football, when all the other kids got taller and Kyler didnt he has certainly been told he isnt tall enough to play quarterback. So he has had to prove it. Fortunately for him his athletic profile is off the charts. Height may be an issue but he made up for it by being elusive and scrambling for both yards and time... something most 6'5 lanky quarterbacks cannot successfully do.
But some can.
Here is the crazy.
Draft Anthony Richardson ... 6'4, 240 pounds... and he runs like Kyler Murray with a 4.4.

even without a trade back the salary slot for the 3 slot is about 8mil a year. That sounds like a lot for a backup QB, but we are already paying Colt McCoy 5mil a year. so we really wouldnt be picking up that much salary.

The kids draft profile, pros and cons, reads nearly identical to Josh Allen.... Allen defied convention and fixed his accuracy issues when everyone said it couldn't be fixed. So call the guy and ask him how.

you sell this to Richardson by making it clear. He will start for us in 2023 come hell or high water. But we need him ready. Then, you promise him that so long as he works hard and develops into an NFL starting QB he WILL be starting for somebody before his rookie contract is up. Maybe us, or maybe someone else.

For Kyler, you tell him its still his team. We made this move so that he doesnt have to rush back and risk reinjuring his knee. We want him to take his time, heal, learn the playbook... be 100 percent ready before he comes back even if it takes the entire season.

absolute worst case is Richardson flames out and Kyler develops the idea this is his team and he doesnt even have to work to prove it.

Best case,.. in two years we have 2 athletic young multi threat quarterbacks and have to trade 1 of them for 3 first round draft picks.

The trick to it all working is fixing Richardsons accuracy. Because I guarantee, a new head coach coming right out the gate and drafting a quarterback 6 inches taller than him.... that will motivate Kyler Murray

yeah.... then get a DT in the 2nd and a center in the 3rd

No

No to all of it

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Huge upside and like Murray, a great athlete. Very raw and a m developmental project. Just be a waste of the cap savings from drafting a QB

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I used to frown at the idea of teams drafting a qb relatively high when they already had the "supposed" guy on the roster. The eagles and Jalen Hurts changed ALL of that. I remember the pick being BLASTED on sports talk here when Roseman made that call. Now Wentz is scouring Indeed and Hurts has his team as the number 1 seed on the cusp of a Super Bowl. Don't know too much about Richardson or the qb offerings in this upcoming draft, but I like your thought pattern Oaken.