Kelly Oubre...

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm tired of worrying about Oubre. If he signs here that's great. If he doesn't that's fine as well. I wont miss him twitching after every basket.

He doesn't make the team enough better to overpay him.

Play a whole season up your assists, 3pts and rebounding and keep your mouth shut, THEN go for a big payday.

Earn it princess.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interesting. James Jones seems totally unconcerned in his comments.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm tired of worrying about Oubre. If he signs here that's great. If he doesn't that's fine as well. I wont miss him twitching after every basket.

He doesn't make the team enough better to overpay him.

Play a whole season up your assists, 3pts and rebounding and keep your mouth shut, THEN go for a big payday.

Earn it princess.

I love the twitch and head bang

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You would think Oubre would have became official once Rubio signed if they already had an agreement in place.

Now it seems like they're still negotiating.

Last edited:

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I love the twitch and head bang
Yup, he has attitude and swag as the youngin's say. Something this team needs and it seemed to be infectious. I loved the impact he had on Booker. They played well together.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yup, he has attitude and swag as the youngin's say. Something this team needs and it seemed to be infectious. I loved the impact he had on Booker. They played well together.
Yeah that's just me i come from a generation where if you worked hard and didn't rock the boat you were rewarded, there was no reason to point out what you just did, the people in charge saw it and responded in kind, I do realize that's not the case anymore and everyone gets a trophy and a pat on the back for doing their job (even tho they make more money than 99% of the population.) They are just kids. I wish as a 20 year old i had the problem of making a few million a year to play a game.

I accept it but i don't have to like it.

iVAN

Reaction score
Oubre is a nothing (but potential) player. You don't pay such players. He's never brought wins to his teams. Not even personal stats. What am I missing here? Sign him cheap or don't sign him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oubre is a nothing (but potential) player. You don't pay such players. He's never brought wins to his teams. Not even personal stats. What am I missing here? Sign him cheap or don't sign him.

I get your point but players get paid on potential all the time. With Oubre, the problem is we have such a small positive sample to judge from. During that small sample, this team showed a lot of potential and it was clear the presence of Kelly opened up things for Booker. In addition to helping on offense, we played some of the best defense we've seen from the Suns in a very long time. But, like I said, very small sample.

iVAN

Reaction score
I get your point but players get paid on potential all the time. With Oubre, the problem is we have such a small positive sample to judge from. During that small sample, this team showed a lot of potential and it was clear the presence of Kelly opened up things for Booker. In addition to helping on offense, we played some of the best defense we've seen from the Suns in a very long time. But, like I said, very small sample.

Ok, but nobody is bidding high on this guy. And the Suns shouldn't either. Plus they have 2 recent draft picks at his position needing minutes. Overpaying is dumb.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah that's just me i come from a generation where if you worked hard and didn't rock the boat you were rewarded, there was no reason to point out what you just did, the people in charge saw it and responded in kind, I do realize that's not the case anymore and everyone gets a trophy and a pat on the back for doing their job (even tho they make more money than 99% of the population.) They are just kids. I wish as a 20 year old i had the problem of making a few million a year to play a game.

Lol this guy

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Yeah, don't see how giving a little celebration after making a big play applies to anything you just said...

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Oubre lived his early life in the projects in New Orleans, and shortly after his family had made it to a better part of town, Katrina hit and they moved to Texas. Here's what he says about subsequent relief efforts: "I vowed that if anything ever happens to the city or the state of Louisiana, I’ll always be there to help. I’ll be there front and center ready to donate more money."

https://www.slamonline.com/nba/kelly-oubre-new-orleans-hurricane-katrina/

But he does a thing after he scores.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK. Let's just speculate a little here. If Oubre and the Suns cannot come to terms, and I am the Suns, I ask him NOT to sign the QO. I would ask him to go out and find the best sign and trade deal he can and we will try to accommodate him. Oubre on the QO offer would be a year of uncertainty followed by him leaving for free.

If we do not bring Oubre back, what happens?

Mikal moves into the starting SF role. That is not a bad thing. He might be better there than Oubre very quickly.
Cam Johnson moves into the backup SF role. Certainly Mikal is a better choice there, but with limited minutes, I am not sure the level of impact. I wonder how confident the Suns are in Cam Johnson's ability to step in and fill a role. If they REALLY like Cam, Oubre might not be quite as high a priority to them as to us.

I do not think it is a crisis at all. It lets Mikal develop quicker. The big negative would be depth in case of injury.

I guess that while I would like Oubre back, it is not panic time if he does not return. My biggest concern would be what Booker thinks about it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
OK. Let's just speculate a little here. If Oubre and the Suns cannot come to terms, and I am the Suns, I ask him NOT to sign the QO. I would ask him to go out and find the best sign and trade deal he can and we will try to accommodate him. Oubre on the QO offer would be a year of uncertainty followed by him leaving for free.

Mikal moves into the starting SF role. That is not a bad thing. He might be better there than Oubre very quickly.
Cam Johnson moves into the backup SF role. Certainly Mikal is a better choice there, but with limited minutes, I am not sure the level of impact. I wonder how confident the Suns are in Cam Johnson's ability to step in and fill a role. If they REALLY like Cam, Oubre might not be quite as high a priority to them as to us.

I do not think it is a crisis at all. It lets Mikal develop quicker. The big negative would be depth in case of injury.

I guess that while I would like Oubre back, it is not panic time if he does not return. My biggest concern would be what Booker thinks about it.
That's a pretty good summary of the situation if we don't sign Oubre. And frankly, it doesn't seem that bad. I like Oubre, but I don't think we should break the bank for him.

And about this situation being like Joe Johnson, we also have to take into consideration, we weren't a 19-win bottom feeder team when that contract was being negotiated.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's not panic time but the Suns would miss the bump up Oubre would give the team.

The Western Conference improved and if the Suns do not re-sign Oubre they would not be that much improved compared to the rest of the teams... relatively speaking.

It would also mean the Suns squandered a chance to sign a free agent that could dramatically improve the team this past offseason.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's not panic time but the Suns would miss the bump up Oubre would give the team.

The Western Conference improved and if the Suns do not re-sign Oubre the they would not be that much improved compared to the rest of the teams... relatively speaking.

It would also mean the Suns squandered a chance to sign a free agent that could dramatically improve the team this past offseason.
At this point, does it matter? With or without Oubre, we aren't going to be championship contenders--perhaps through the entire duration of whatever contract we sign him to. I'm not so worried about how good the West is right now because they aren't really our competition. All we need to do is get better, win or lose.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point, does it matter? With or without Oubre, we aren't going to be championship contenders--perhaps through the entire duration of whatever contract we sign him to. I'm not so worried about how good the West is right now because they aren't really our competition. All we need to do is get better, win or lose.

If Oubre turns into a third piece, which I think he can, the Suns can be right in the mix when the team grows and matures together. The Suns cannot always plan for tomorrow for what they should do today.

If the Suns improve dramatically this season, they will be become a more attractive free destination for free agents and trades for better players.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Oubre turns into a third piece, which I think he can, the Suns can be right in the mix when the team grows and matures together. The Suns cannot always plan for tomorrow for what they should do today.

If the Suns improve dramatically this season, they will be become a more attractive free destination for free agents and trades for better players.
I think Bridges will end up being a better player than Oubre, maybe even this year. You have a much higher vision of Oubre's potential than I do.

In fact, that might be the key factor in this entire negotiation--who would you bet on for the future--Oubre or Bridges?

For me, its Bridges--hands down. Smarter player, better defender, better shooter.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah, I like that we have faith in our players, which is a refreshing change, but Mainstreet REALLY thinks Oubre can be the 3rd piece on a championship team? That's incredibly optimistic considering the small sample size.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave