Kelly Oubre...

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Yeah, I am probably higher on Oubre than most people here, but 4/$90M is just silly. I would be fine with the Suns overpaying, but overpaying is something between $15M and $20M per year with a team option on the third of fourth year.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'd let Oubre walk if we're talking nearly 25 million per year. He has NEVER looked that good consistently. That's how teams screw up their rebuilds, they throw a ton of money at a mediocre player or two.

I look at Oubre as a bonus player, because the Suns traded a FA for him. If he walks, it sucks, but the "stars" are Booker and Ayton. If the Suns have to get a third star, they can still do that.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is what I found by looking at his social media:

On April 15th of 2017 he explained that #Shhh means "We need less talking, more action in the world. We need more leaders"

He used "Godspeed" all the time prior to that. He feels that God has a plan and Godspeed is you being put on that plan.

As for the Black Heart and checkered flag. He has been tweeting that image consistently since as early as July 9th of 2017. It is over a variety of topics but almost always with the #Shhh

I would guess the black heart is him based on it's use. When he got traded to the Suns he put up an Orange and Purple heart with the black heart.

The checkered flag is action.

So since he has been using these terms for two years as this "I am about action not words. God has a plan for me"

I don't believe it has any other meaning now then it did two years ago

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do think the Wizards anticipated an impasse (like this might be) and it is why they were willing to move him for a part-year rental of Ariza.

Kelly is not quiet in the locker room. I suspect he was vocal about what he thought his next contract should be.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
You are all by yourself with these numbers.
Understood.

I was alone on Doncic for the most part too. No way we should have taken Ayton so blindly. It was the beginning of the end for Igor right then and there.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Understood.

I was alone on Doncic for the most part too. No way we should have taken Ayton so blindly. It was the beginning of the end for Igor right then and there.
So are you officially stating that it was a mistake to take Ayton over Luka? Based simply on their rookie season?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are a few people here really high on Oubre but only one has suggested we need to go over the $20 million a year mark in our offer to him. I think that's the point the vast majority here, high on him or not, said they would let him walk to if another team made that offer. That's far too much money for a player that's been a starter for 2 months, at the most. I can only imagine how the board would react to a $20+ million dollar deal right out the gate. The team would be torn to shreds for bidding against themselves, and rightfully so. If anyone wanted him at that price then they would have made a real run at him because I'm fairly confident that would have caused Jones to balk.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Understood.

If you think that you were alone, or close to it, in regards to Doncic over Ayton then you don't read other posts here. You aren't the first, last, or only person to make that call.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I care less about the final numbers of a contract, just that he will be here more than on a qualifying offer. It would be mismanaging SFs to the level that McDonough mismanaged the PGs

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
That will depend largely on how well he performs next year. The issue with the QO and why very few guys actually go that route is the risk that they get a major injury or under perform for whatever reason (don't mesh with the system, are in the coaches dog house, playing with nagging injuries, etc.). The Suns are in a dominant position right now and if they really want to keep Oubre they can feel free to throw him a bone and meet him part of the way or maybe make the 4th year a player option or something to give Oubre and early out if he wants it, but they certainly shouldn't throw 20+ at him just because he could potentially get that much next off season.

I think most players in his class will be making 20 per year for the most part in the next 2 years.

Yeah, I am probably higher on Oubre than most people here, but 4/$90M is just silly. I would be fine with the Suns overpaying, but overpaying is something between $15M and $20M per year with a team option on the third of fourth year.

4/80 vs. 4/90. Is a 2.5mm cap hit per year really worth losing the player? How is this not Joe Johnson and his 5mm all over again?

I'd let Oubre walk if we're talking nearly 25 million per year. He has NEVER looked that good consistently. That's how teams screw up their rebuilds, they throw a ton of money at a mediocre player or two.

I look at Oubre as a bonus player, because the Suns traded a FA for him. If he walks, it sucks, but the "stars" are Booker and Ayton. If the Suns have to get a third star, they can still do that.

Honestly...... I might as well. But I would certainly try to coordinate a sign and trade this year with an asset heavy team looking to contend. The Rockets, Bucks, Nuggets, Celtics, and Clippers come to mind.

With our leadership though they would probably just release him before trying anything aggressive.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
If you think that you were alone, or close to it, in regards to Doncic over Ayton then you don't read other posts here. You aren't the first, last, or only person to make that call.
ok..... In the minority. Is that better?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
To be fair this board was easily like 95%+ for Ayton. Other places on the internet were far more split though. I remember a poll prior to the draft here and it was like 97% Ayton.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's your evidence that Ayton was taken "blindly"? For all we know, the front office was 55/45 Ayton/Doncic.

Yes I believe McDonough wanted Doncic and hired the coach to teach him while Sarver wanted Ayton.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is what I found by looking at his social media:

On April 15th of 2017 he explained that #Shhh means "We need less talking, more action in the world. We need more leaders"

He used "Godspeed" all the time prior to that. He feels that God has a plan and Godspeed is you being put on that plan.

As for the Black Heart and checkered flag. He has been tweeting that image consistently since as early as July 9th of 2017. It is over a variety of topics but almost always with the #Shhh

I would guess the black heart is him based on it's use. When he got traded to the Suns he put up an Orange and Purple heart with the black heart.

The checkered flag is action.

So since he has been using these terms for two years as this "I am about action not words. God has a plan for me"

I don't believe it has any other meaning now then it did two years ago

CSI: Twitter Edition starring Chris Sanders :raccoon:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Understood.

Baloney. There were plenty of people that wanted Doncic, and even the ones that wanted Ayton expected Doncic to be better out of the gate. Igor did not get fired because he did not have Doncic. He got fired because he just was not performing well as a coach--and we got a new GM. Every single sentence you just wrote is not true.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Yes I believe McDonough wanted Doncic and hired the coach to teach him while Sarver wanted Ayton.

That.

And then Ryan McD got fired. Obviously he deserved that though for other reasons.

Sarver is an absolute joke of an owner. I hate Jerry a little bit more every year for giving this franchise to such a pansy-ass putz of a human.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will say I highly doubt this is a Joe Johnson situation because Oubre wants to be here. He has said as much and the organization is publicly saying how much they like him so none of this seems personal.

Add to that Oubre's constant "I don't talk I am about action" tweets. He is basically saying he trusts it will work out in the end and he doesn't want to talk about it.

It is probably an agent trying to get good money for a client and an organization that will be over the cap trying to minimize that situation

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I will say I highly doubt this is a Joe Johnson situation because Oubre wants to be here. He has said as much.

It is an agent trying to get good money for a client and an organization that will be over the cap trying to minimize that situation
Joe wanted to be here also.

Sarver wanted Joe to earn the extra 5mill when Bryan C. was telling him to pay it.

History continues to repeat itself in this respect.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I believe the recent addition of the "fingers crossed" emoji is him hoping the plan for him is to be here.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Is Kelly what Joe was prior to leaving Boston? I would contend that he is very close.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe wanted to be here also.

Sarver wanted Joe to earn the extra 5mill when Bryan C. was telling him to pay it.

History continues to repeat itself in this respect.

Sorry I added some more to that post after reading his social media. I am no longer concerned

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson