Kelly Oubre...

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
So, does he have silver Goldilocks hair now or is that part of his hat?

I don’t know that acting bat shiit crazy fits with the new paradigm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

It’s probably not helping if he thinks the Suns will top their own offer.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Plus, I haven't seen Rubio sign yet. Did Kaminsky sign? From what has been said, everyone else has to sign first before Tsunami Papi. We could already have a deal. Just he has to be last to sign. So waiting on everyone else.
That wouldn't stop them from announcing a signing I don't think. They would just have to submit his signing last.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Because this is the season for looking into things that don't necessarily mean anything.. At the end of the video they show the back of his shirt which is from Travis Scott and says Madison Square Garden (Wish you were here)...

Probably nothing... but just thinking how cryptic he's been since the beginning of the offseason, you never know...

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score

Oh, you say that now but wait until Monty Williams starts wearing that hat and hair...

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
So you’re sayin it’s a hat AND hair?

LOL. I have no idea. I’m kind of hoping that it is. It could be part of his Valley Boyz new line of clothing for all we know.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Suns just need to get this wrapped up at this point, if for no other reason than we can at least have some idea what our roster is going to be next year.

Is there even any other free agent of note left unsigned at this point? Does any other team even have an appreciable salary slot left? What's the holdup?

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I was more worried earlier on. Now that the well is running dry here with teams around the league and we ultimately have last chance to sign him, I’m just sitting and waiting.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was more worried earlier on. Now that the well is running dry here with teams around the league and we ultimately have last chance to sign him, I’m just sitting and waiting.

I do not know what happened behind closed doors, but James Jones did not say anything about matching any offer. Oubre has had plenty of time to go see what his value is.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I do not know what happened behind closed doors, but James Jones did not say anything about matching any offer. Oubre has had plenty of time to go see what his value is.
Jones has been quiet about everything. Seems like he’s going to be that way going forward on all transactions.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I thought teams weren't allowed to do that anymore? Say that they'd match any offers. I vaguely remember someone here saying that it's been changed because it discourages other teams from extending offers to restricted free agents. I could be wrong. We'll see if anyone chimes in on that. I think it was @AzStevenCal who said something like that though.

I'm not worried about it. Like I said, I looked up his trademark for Valley Boyz and something is happening on the 18th of July. I think that's when it issues to him on a probationary sort of deal where other TM holders can make a case for it infringing on their TM. The whole trademark site is a mess, it's a lot of bureaucratic nonsense. I'll worry after the 18th.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He shouldn't say he'll match any offer, especially not publicly. If we're claiming we'd match a max deal but are only offering him something like 14 or 15 mil a year it would look rather 2 faced.

When we said that with Bledsoe it was because we didn't want to give Bledsoe a 5th year and no other team could offer him a 5th year anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if part of the hold up is the Suns figuring out what they're going to do with Korver's contract and if we're getting another SG that we'd need to fit in under the cap before signing Oubre.

I'm honestly not worried at all, he'll be back, just curious to know the final cost.

Lowest end... 3 years, 36 million, player option on the 3rd year, high end, 4 years, 72 million.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I believe that is correct now that it was mentioned regarding the whole publicly stating you’ll match all offers. That’s a valid point. I think it’ll work out but I’d like for it to be done soon for my own sake. I’m much less worried now though since there isn’t a ton of money to go around anymore.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
He's going to play out the string.... Then go make 20 mil + on the market next year as one of the key young unrestricteds next off season.

No way this crap franchise pays for his upside. Nor do they see the value in a sign and trade right now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
He's going to play out the string.... Then go make 20 mil + on the market next year as one of the key young unrestricteds next off season.

No way this crap franchise pays for his upside. Nor do they see the value in a sign and trade right now.

You are going to look incredibly silly when he sign a contract this year. I really don’t understand why or how you could be so certain of this at this point.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Care to place a friendly wager on that? I would be amazed if he signs the qualifying offer. If he does, it's not because the Suns didn't step up and offer him a fair deal either, it's because he thinks he deserves $20 million or more a year and that's just too much for what he brings to the table. Even if he realizes his potential, he's not worth more than $20 million a year. If he were worth that or more, he would have seen an offer already from another team.

I'd bet lunch on it, assuming you have paypal? I'd call that something like $10-15 bucks. I'd do a signature bet also if you'd like. Just throwing some ideas out there as far as what can be put up. Like I said, friendly, and I wouldn't think that much cash or a new signature line would be out of line and set anyone back.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wonder. We can say the Suns don't have to/shouldn't negotiate against themselves, but the qualifying offer does give the player leverage even when their current team is the last team standing. This was not the best year to be a RFA, and by contrast the UFA class next year is weak. I don't think it's inconceivable that Oubre would decide to take the 5 mil and play a contract year in a high-profile roster spot. But I hope he instead takes the security of a multi-year deal.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I wonder. We can say the Suns don't have to/shouldn't negotiate against themselves, but the qualifying offer does give the player leverage even when their current team is the last team standing. This was not the best year to be a RFA, and by contrast the UFA class next year is weak. I don't think it's inconceivable that Oubre would decide to take the 5 mil and play a contract year in a high-profile roster spot. But I hope he instead takes the security of a multi-year deal.
Man, if a guy is looking at a multi-year 8 figure salary and takes the QO I think they are being given epically poor advice. I would hope the Nerlens Noel debacle would serve as a cautionary tale for these guys. Play out a three year string at the highest contract you can get and if your talent was legit you grab a giant contract at 26-27 years old.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
How valuable is a really good player on a really bad team?
Is there a playoff team from last year that would have given Oubre the minutes and touches he got from the Suns?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought teams weren't allowed to do that anymore? Say that they'd match any offers. I vaguely remember someone here saying that it's been changed because it discourages other teams from extending offers to restricted free agents. I could be wrong. We'll see if anyone chimes in on that. I think it was @AzStevenCal who said something like that though.

I'm not worried about it. Like I said, I looked up his trademark for Valley Boyz and something is happening on the 18th of July. I think that's when it issues to him on a probationary sort of deal where other TM holders can make a case for it infringing on their TM. The whole trademark site is a mess, it's a lot of bureaucratic nonsense. I'll worry after the 18th.

I did bring it up recently but I wasn't quite sure of my information.

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Man, if a guy is looking at a multi-year 8 figure salary and takes the QO I think they are being given epically poor advice. I would hope the Nerlens Noel debacle would serve as a cautionary tale for these guys. Play out a three year string at the highest contract you can get and if your talent was legit you grab a giant contract at 26-27 years old.

Said the same thing earlier in this thread... Oubre is just 23 years old! I might be wrong, but I'm pretty certain the Suns aren't offering anything less than $10 million a year, and would likely settle around the $12-$13 million range... Oubre, at 23, is looking at a guaranteed $30-$36 million pay day! AND, at the ripe 'ol age of 26, be positioned to grab a potential $100 million pay day!
How this isn't wrapped up yet is quite baffling to me, and might suggest the Kelly is indeed receiving "epically poor advice!"