Kelly Oubre Jr.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I figured I would start a thread just for Oubre since he is our new piece and doesn't appear to be going anywhere for a while. That being said I have already seen a few quotes from him that I really like. He comes off as a team first kind of guy and I get the feeling he will become a fan favorite. Also he stepped right into Ariza's jersey with number 3 and I suspect he will do that jersey and us fans proud (especially by comparison to Ariza).

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figured I would start a thread just for Oubre since he is our new piece and doesn't appear to be going anywhere for a while. That being said I have already seen a few quotes from him that I really like. He comes off as a team first kind of guy and I get the feeling he will become a fan favorite. Also he stepped right into Ariza's jersey with number 3 and I suspect he will do that jersey and us fans proud (especially by comparison to Ariza).

Gotta love his attitude.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like this comment as well from Oubre:

“Defense leads to offense. Just focus on that, just continue to keep that gameplan solid,” Oubre said. “I’m a confident individual but one thing I know I can control everyday is my effort and my energy. I will do that each and every night. My offense will follow. I’m not really worried about that because I know I can play.”

http://arizonasports.com/story/1776057/suns-kelly-oubre-wants-destroy-everyone/

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is some video of Oubre from the Wizards versus the Knicks game on 12-3-18.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So I know Washington would disagree, but on paper for just recently, Oubre>Ariza. Both teams feel they got the better deal. Maybe ends up a rare win/win.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I really like this comment as well from Oubre:

“Defense leads to offense. Just focus on that, just continue to keep that gameplan solid,” Oubre said. “I’m a confident individual but one thing I know I can control everyday is my effort and my energy. I will do that each and every night. My offense will follow. I’m not really worried about that because I know I can play.”

http://arizonasports.com/story/1776057/suns-kelly-oubre-wants-destroy-everyone/

I’m done believing any Suns FO/coach/player-speak until I see it on the court. Been burned too many times drinking the koolaid!

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
He looked good in the game video. Not sure if that was a one a done but he seems to have quickness and a smooth flow to the basket.

Errntknght

Reaction score
The deal was about dumping Ariza. Whatever Oubre brings is a bonus. And his D and energy means that he fits right in with how the team has been playing for the last 3 games. Too bad he's not a PF, but I can live with small ball at this juncture.

I was worried about Rivers being a net negative so I have to compliment James Jones on avoiding that, too.

Our dumpster is looking better and better!

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They think Ariza is going to bring stability to a messed up locker room. They want a veteran and they got one but this whole national story line about Ariza has just gotten out of hand.

You would think this guy is the most important player in the history of the NBA. He's average at best

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oubre is one of those like him on your team hate him on another team players. He's a bit of a tough defender on the walking the line between physical and dirty. Last year he got several guys on the Warriors so furious it led to a near fight. Very athletic, improved shooter.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
They think Ariza is going to bring stability to a messed up locker room. They want a veteran and they got one but this whole national story line about Ariza has just gotten out of hand.

You would think this guy is the most important player in the history of the NBA. He's average at best
It’s because Lebron wanted him. Everything begins and ends with Lebron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I’m done believing any Suns FO/coach/player-speak until I see it on the court. Been burned too many times drinking the koolaid!
I mean the fact that you can find a 10 minute highlight video of his defense from one season is encouraging. Doesn't mean he plays like this 100% of the time, but if he does he will do quite well with us.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I mean the fact that you can find a 10 minute highlight video of his defense from one season is encouraging. Doesn't mean he plays like this 100% of the time, but if he does he will do quite well with us.

That is very encouraging. My biggest takeaway is his defensive versatility. In this video, he's guarding waterbug point guards like Thomas and Walker, scoring wings like Booker, Butler, and George, and even bigs like Horford and Greek Freak.

Makes me think the Suns could use him in a lot of different lineups.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That defensive highlight vid is quite impressive. He steals IT's lunch three times in a row and then he is bodying up Horford. I know its a highlight reel but that versatility has all-defensive team potential. This Suns team is starting to develop a defensive identity with Melton, Mikal, and Ayton. Add Oubre to the mix and we might have a little something going.

All the criticisms you hear from Washington fans about Oubre, we also heard from Philly fans about Holmes. He is a great locker room guy and an energy guy on the court. Great one on one defender but does not know how or where to be in a team switching defensive scheme. The thing is that Holmes looks great here as a team defender. Either he just was better than they said or Igor was able to help him improve in that area. I am hoping we will see the same thing with Oubre.

This team is looking better in their defensive sets. They are working harder, they are rotating better and with a little more intuitiveness. It is not an easy thing to learn when it is new to you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
All the criticisms you hear from Washington fans about Oubre, we also heard from Philly fans about Holmes. He is a great locker room guy and an energy guy on the court. Great one on one defender but does not know how or where to be in a team switching defensive scheme. The thing is that Holmes looks great here as a team defender. Either he just was better than they said or Igor was able to help him improve in that area. I am hoping we will see the same thing with Oubre.

This team is looking better in their defensive sets. They are working harder, they are rotating better and with a little more intuitiveness. It is not an easy thing to learn when it is new to you.
He's a young player and if he is on a team with poor defensive communication or with a bunch of guys having defensive breakdowns it will reflact badly on himself as well. I think this team is starting to look like a well coached team. They are playing hard on both ends and are communicating on defense. The players are also doing a good job of coaching each other throughout the game and that is allowing us to make necessary adjustments throughout the game.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's a young player and if he is on a team with poor defensive communication or with a bunch of guys having defensive breakdowns it will reflact badly on himself as well. I think this team is starting to look like a well coached team. They are playing hard on both ends and are communicating on defense. The players are also doing a good job of coaching each other throughout the game and that is allowing us to make necessary adjustments throughout the game.

Uh oh. Now you said it.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Everybody has a highlight video. Ill reserve judgement until after he actually plays a few games for the Suns.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I heard a lot of Philly fans say that Holmes was a PF also. Generally that he was an outdated PF like Bo Outlaw types. High energy, undersized, pests that were essentially rebounders and that's it. Seems odd they didn't think of him as a Center much but I guess a lot of people are ignoring players that can't shoot beyond 12 feet from the basket. If Oubre can be a hard nosed defender that can knock down 3's, like Ariza was supposed to be doing for us, I'll be happy. I'm not putting much stock in what Washington fans say though since they're excited for Ariza. At least he played there before so it makes some sense why they have high hopes for him but they still suck and I doubt Ariza helps them much.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everybody has a highlight video. Ill reserve judgement until after he actually plays a few games for the Suns.

Me too. But I'll admit I bought into all the criticisms I read about him as I did with Holmes too and while he's far from perfect, he's been a great addition.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Great footwork and his length is such an asset.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think adding Oubre is a step in the right direction. The Suns need to add talent and he is indeed talented. And most of all, he wants to be here. I'm so tired of players like Chandler, Ariza and Rivers who want to be elsewhere. At least the Suns can kick the tires on Oubre and see if he is a fit for the team.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The fact that Oubre sees himself as a defense first player is a good thing. Again, this team's recent success is built on defense. Their future success is likely in that direction also. Oubre seems to be defend the 1-4 positions (at least at times) is a real help. That video has him defending IT to Horford and doing it well. If you are going to have multiple players at one position, it might as well be long-armed defensive oriented wings who can shoot the three. Mikal seems to be able to defend the 1-3 position, and JJ has the potential to defend 1-4. Warren can defend 3-4 (in a very average sort of way). Ayton can defend the 4-5 positions and Holmes can too. Melton seems to be showing signs of being able to defend 1-2 and even some smaller 3's in rare instances. That kind of defensive versatility can make a hyper switching defense very effective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave