Kansas City Chiefs @ Arizona Cardinals Pregame Thread. 9/2/22-9/10/22

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And how do you know this will be the case? Let’s see how the first few games go before putting this out there. On paper, this may be the case, but when you’re entering year 4 in a D, good things can happen. I think our DL surprises people.
Pa, when you say DL, what positions are you talking about. Our three interior linemen or are you including the two edge guys?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is not a single outcome that would surprise me with this team. We're probably the most hot/cold team in the league.

The MOST concerning this to me isn't Hop's suspension, or the defense. It's that we are at Home. That's something this team needs to fix. Dreadful home record last year.

And it's not like they can put it down to "fan pressure" or anything. No fan base in the league has lower expectations.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Pa, when you say DL, what positions are you talking about. Our three interior linemen or are you including the two edge guys?
I expect major improvement from the interior of our DL, particularly from Allen, Fotu, Lawrence, and Dogbe. When players have been in a defensive system for 3-4 years, only good things can happen. I’m not a huge VJ fan, mainly because his schemes seem to take forever to learn. After 3-4 years now, that interior should be ready to produce, as long as they stay relatively healthy. VJ does seem to be able to manufacture sacks, so I think we’ll do better in that area than people think.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
very interested with regards to the Chiefs:

the Kelce / Hill combo was as good a complimentary pair as we have seen.

what do the Chief lose with Hardman filling the Hill role? It wasn't just Hill's deep speed that made him dangerous -- the start/stop short area quickness was top drawer as well.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
very interested with regards to the Chiefs:

the Kelce / Hill combo was as good a complimentary pair as we have seen.

what do the Chief lose with Hardman filling the Hill role? It wasn't just Hill's deep speed that made him dangerous -- the start/stop short area quickness was top drawer as well.

Is Hardman his replacement? He’s not even a starter. MVS jumped him on the depth chart and he kinda sucks. He couldn’t become anything with Aaron Rogers throwing him the ball. Hardman is all hype no substance.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The MOST concerning this to me isn't Hop's suspension, or the defense. It's that we are at Home. That's something this team needs to fix. Dreadful home record last year.

And it's not like they can put it down to "fan pressure" or anything. No fan base in the league has lower expectations.
Have the Cards dress in the visitors locker room

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I expect major improvement from the interior of our DL, particularly from Allen, Fotu, Lawrence, and Dogbe. When players have been in a defensive system for 3-4 years, only good things can happen. I’m not a huge VJ fan, mainly because his schemes seem to take forever to learn. After 3-4 years now, that interior should be ready to produce, as long as they stay relatively healthy. VJ does seem to be able to manufacture sacks, so I think we’ll do better in that area than people think.
For some positions I buy this but not interior defensive lineman. There’s only so much “scheme” to learn on the interior. For the most part winning those battles typically comes down to ability and skills. Either you have them or you don’t.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
For some positions I buy this but not interior defensive lineman. There’s only so much “scheme” to learn on the interior. For the most part winning those battles typically comes down to ability and skills. Either you have them or you don’t.
DL philosophy will be different this year with Burke. I think he will be a big improvement over Buckner.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
DL philosophy will be different this year with Burke. I think he will be a big improvement over Buckner.
Well that cuts against the argument to which I was responding, that all the time spent in the same system would make them better. Which is it? Time in system makes them better or change in coach makes them better? For my part, I think these two elements have the least amount of impact on interior defensive line than on any other position.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well that cuts against the argument to which I was responding, that all the time spent in the same system would make them better. Which is it? Time in system makes them better or change in coach makes them better? For my part, I think these two elements have the least amount of impact on interior defensive line than on any other position.
Bottom line is that they will now be playing in the same overall system under VJ for 3-4 years. I believe that Burke's philosophy is more in line with VJ. When you listen to the interviews with Allen & Lawrence, they both said Burke's system emphasizes getting up the field far more than last year's approach under Buckner. They both said the DL is ready to break out. As bad as our run D was last year, I'll believe it when I see it.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Cardinals are getting very little love going into this game, but maybe that's a good thing. When you factor in how poorly we finished & how we played at home all last year, the Cardinals are in a "prove it" mode before the talking heads respect us again.