K9's Post-Combine Mock Draft

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Rules stay the same:

1. The Huddle Report's new Value Board determines who is available at what point in the draft.
2. I'm trading in this mock, so I justify not only why we'd trade down, but also why the other team would want to trade up. I'm also going to take less in trade because I think the Cards'll be motivated to trade out.
3. I'm basing this on what I WOULD DO were I in control of the draft room. Not what I think the Cards'll do, because I expect them to draft Von Miller and another late-round developmental quarterback.

1. Carolina Panthers - Blaine Gabbert, QB, Mizzou. People think that defensive coaches love drafting defensive players, but defensive coaches tend to think that they can do more with what's at hand than the previous guy. The Panthers' problem is on offense, and with their fan base.

2. Denver Broncos - Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson. Denver is converting back to a 4-3 defense, and Bowers will team with returning DE Elvis Dumervil and Robert Ayers for a very productive rotation.

3. Buffalo Bills - Marcel Dareus, DT, Alabama. Buffalo's defense is stinky, and they really have no idea what to do with it. They're going to take the best defensive lineman on the board and find a way to use him. Dareus can conceivably play inside in either a 3-4 or 4-3 defense, or end in a 3-4, as well. He'll give them something to build with and protection for Paul Posluzny.

4. Cincinnati Bengals - A.J. Green, WR, Georgia. The Bengals have some very good #2 and #3 WRs in their program, but lack a true #1 target as Chad Ochocinco declines in skill. Cincy can tell their fan base that they got arguably the best offensive player in the draft, and whomever replaces Carson Palmer in a year or two is going to have a ton of good weapons.

5. Dallas Cowboys - Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU. Dallas sees San Francisco and Tennessee with a need for DB ahead of them and jumps up to take a player the Cards don't want to be forced to draft, anyway (Arizona Cardinals receive DAL #1 (9th overall) and #3 (71st overall))

6. Cleveland Browns - Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn. Cleveland is a mess on defense, and they've seen what a top DT can do for a program. Fairley could've been the first player off the board in this draft, but they feel happy getting him at #6.

7. San Francisco 49ers - Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M. San Francisco knows that they're a productive pass rush away from having a top NFL defense. Miller is a prospect who can provide the last piece to their puzzle--even if they really wanted Peterson at this point.

8. Tennessee Titans - Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina. The Titans feel like they get great value here. Jason Babin had 13.5 sacks from the strong side in 2010; he'll get some support from the weak side in 2011.

9. Detroit Lions - Prince Amakamura, CB, Nebraska. The Lions jump over the secondary-needy Houston Texans to take the second-best cornerback in the draft, which fulfills an immense need. (Arizona Cardinals receive DET's #1 (13th overall) and 2012 #2 pick after Rod Graves panics when none of the players that he wants are still on the board)

10. Washington Redskins - Julio Jones, WR, Alabama. The Redskins make a splash with a playmaking WR. They could have gone with one of the 3-4 DEs, but they feel comfortable with the depth at that position in this draft.

11. Houston Texans - Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado. The Texans reach a little bit here and are panned by Mel Kiper, but Smith will end up being the best cover cornerback in his draft class.

12. Minnesota Vikings - Cameron Jordan, DE, Cal. Minnesota is looking old on its defensive line. Jordan gives them an infusion of youth and insurance in case of the free agent departure of Ray Edwards.

13. Arizona Cardinals - Tyron Smith, OT, Southern Cal. The Cards would love to trade down again at this point, but 3-4 and 4-3 teams are salivating over the amount of defensive ends ahead of them. The Cards instead get the best blocking prospect in the draft, who will compete with Brandon Keith for the RT position in 2011 and replace Levi Brown at the LT position in 2012.

14. St. Louis Rams - J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin. Steve Spagnulo learned in Philly that you build your lines.

15. Miami Dolphins - Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama. Ingram is a bit of a reach here, but Miami hasn't made it work with Ronnie Brown, and they'd like to go to a more traditional offense.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars - Aldon Smith, DE, Mizzou. The Jags are going to do whatever they can to find a legit pass rusher, no matter how many times they have to try.

17. New England Patriots - Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa. The rich just keep getting richer.

18. San Diego Chargers - Corey Liuget, DT, Illinios. The Chargers get some help at the DE position.

19. New York Giants - Anthony Constanzo, OT, Boston College. The Giants need to protect their investment in Eli Manning.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue. Kerrigan goes into the perfect situation in Tampa, who wanted Ingram.

21. Kansas City Chiefs - Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA. They'll think about Cameron Heyward, but go with a safer choice to play SOLB in their 3-4 scheme.

22. Indianapolis Colts - Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State. The Colts give Peyton Manning a new, more consistent, security blanket.

23. Philadelphia Eagles - Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State. The Eagles love linemen.

24. New Orleans Saints - Brandon Harris, CB, Miami. The Saints add talent to their defensive secondary.

25. Seattle Seahawks - Gabe Carmini, OT, Wisconsin. Run-blocking is not going to be a problem for Seattle in 2011.

26. Baltimore Ravens - Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame. The Ravens add an offensive piece who is younger and can learn for a season with Todd Heap.

27. Atlanta Falcons - Justin Houston, DE, Georgia. The Falcons need to solve their pass rush problems.

28. Arizona Cardinals - Cam Newton, QB, Auburn. Arizona can still convince a Marc Bulger-type to come in and take the starting job, but Newton was too good a piece to miss out on at this point. (New England Patriots receive ARI #3(69th overall) and 2012 #1)

38. Brooks Reed, OLB, Arizona. The Cards might trade down here to get another second in 2012, but they'll take a semi-local kid who is smart and can actually play the OLB position.

71. Sam Acho, OLB, Texas. Just in case Reed doesn't work out, the Cards'll double-down at the OLB position with two straight picks. It's clear that the Cards lack talent at the OLB position currently. With Schofield, these three players secure Arizona's future for the mid-term.

102. Jeremy Beal, LB, Oklahoma. Beal will play special teams and learn to play inside for the Cards for his first two years.

133. Edmond Gates, WR, Abeline Christian. Gates has great speed and good size. Could contribute immediately in the return game, but gives the Cards some flexibility with Steve Breaston a likely departure.

166. Chris White, ILB, Mississippi State. Do you think that the Cards' LB corps is a problem? I do. White can compete immediately with Paris Lenon for the inside linebacker job and will play special teams.

179. Schulyat Oordy, TE, Northern Iowa. An all-name player will help out the Cards NFL-worst TE corps.

The Cards'll have to make sure they secure the rights to Deuce Lutui and Lyle Sendlein in this scenario, but I think this sets the Cards up for a middling 2011 but a very bright long-term future if they decide to start retaining their core players.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I can live with that scenerio but I really think that we address the pass rush with the 1st pick. I really liked the example you gave in an earlier post about the running back class of 2008. The Cards decided to get cute and waited until the 5th round to take a back (Hightower). Nothing against Hightower, but look at the bounty they passed up (Mendenhall, Johnson, etc...).

Waiting until the 2nd round when guys like Miller, Quinn, Aldon Smith, Justin Houston, Kerrigan etc.. get gobbled up in the first round would be a disaster. I can see us trading back a few spots (9-12 range) and taking Aldon Smith from Missouri.

Taking Aldon Smith in the 9-12 range and then trading some picks to move into the late part of round 1 to take Newton would be really cool.

Nice job overall.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like it. Thanks for no having the Cards draft the QB McElroy in the second.

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score
You think that Cam Newton is falling to #28?

Has he been arrested for involvement in a drive by shooting in the last 30 minutes?

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You think that Cam Newton is falling to #28?

Has he been arrested for involvement in a drive by shooting in the last 30 minutes?

There's Newton as NFL prospect and Newton as media creation. I think that ESPN is going to have a lot of fun showing Cam stewing in the draft room and asking if the controversy is causing his stock to drop. The reality is the Newton is probably legitimately a late-first round prospect right now and a lot of teams have settled QB situations outside the top 10.

Monty

2010 Cardinals Draft Guru
Reaction score
There's Newton as NFL prospect and Newton as media creation. I think that ESPN is going to have a lot of fun showing Cam stewing in the draft room and asking if the controversy is causing his stock to drop. The reality is the Newton is probably legitimately a late-first round prospect right now and a lot of teams have settled QB situations outside the top 10.

So how highly do you rate The Newton considering he is not from the USC? considering you have him as you're avatar i would think you would rate him at 95+ and probably consider him the best QB to come of out of college since The Leenert.

Last edited:

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score

He's got massive potential and is the 2nd best QB in the draft. I would be stunned if Newton gets past Washington. I would probably faint if he got past Minesota

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I'm also going to take less in trade because I think the Cards'll be motivated to trade out.3. I'm basing this on what I WOULD DO were I in control of the draft room. Not what I think the Cards'll do, because I expect them to draft Von Miller and another late-round developmental quarterback.

Not sure I understand. Your saying Peterson and Miller are available and the "Cards'll be motivated to trade out"?

5. Dallas Cowboys - Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU. Dallas sees San Francisco and Tennessee with a need for DB ahead of them and jumps up to take a player the Cards don't want to be forced to draft, anyway (Arizona Cardinals receive DAL #1 (9th overall) and #3 (71st overall))

Based on You'r opinion? Why wouldn't they want Peterson? Antrell Rolle? He's a lot better than Rolle.

28. Arizona Cardinals - Cam Newton, QB, Auburn. Arizona can still convince a Marc Bulger-type to come in and take the starting job, but Newton was too good a piece to miss out on at this point. (New England Patriots receive ARI #3(69th overall) and 2012 #1)

That's giving up a possible HIGH #1. If things don't pan out, we could be in the A. Luck sweepstakes. That's high risk to get on the Camwagon. ;)

38. Brooks Reed, OLB, Arizona. The Cards might trade down here to get another second in 2012, but they'll take a semi-local kid who is smart and can actually play the OLB position.

71. Sam Acho, OLB, Texas. Just in case Reed doesn't work out, the Cards'll double-down at the OLB position with two straight picks. It's clear that the Cards lack talent at the OLB position currently. With Schofield, these three players secure Arizona's future for the mid-term.

102. Jeremy Beal, LB, Oklahoma. Beal will play special teams and learn to play inside for the Cards for his first two years.

133. Edmond Gates, WR, Abeline Christian. Gates has great speed and good size. Could contribute immediately in the return game, but gives the Cards some flexibility with Steve Breaston a likely departure.

166. Chris White, ILB, Mississippi State. Do you think that the Cards' LB corps is a problem? I do. White can compete immediately with Paris Lenon for the inside linebacker job and will play special teams.

179. Schulyat Oordy, TE, Northern Iowa. An all-name player will help out the Cards NFL-worst TE corps.

The Cards'll have to make sure they secure the rights to Deuce Lutui and Lyle Sendlein in this scenario, but I think this sets the Cards up for a middling 2011 but a very bright long-term future if they decide to start retaining their core players.

Like the rest of the draft. I think they're interested in taking a OG/C though. Even with the Lutui, Sendlein signings.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Love the picks, even though mocks with trades make me feel like theyre even more of a waste of time than regular mocks.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He's got massive potential and is the 2nd best QB in the draft. I would be stunned if Newton gets past Washington. I would probably faint if he got past Minesota

Wasn't the same thing true about Tebow last year? How far did he last? And Tebow had superior intangibles over Newton, and I think this year's draft is deeper than last's. Daryl Washington would be a 3rd round pick in this draft. Dan Williams would land in the second round.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
okay -- so if this is what you would do, why do you reference Rod Graves panicking and trading down again?

so is your position that the Cardinals simply dont want to draft at #5, or the player they want isnt there in your scenario?

Von Miller sure seems like the player they would be okay with, and he is there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
okay -- so if this is what you would do, why do you reference Rod Graves panicking and trading down again?

so is your position that the Cardinals simply dont want to draft at #5, or the player they want isnt there in your scenario?

Von Miller sure seems like the player they would be okay with, and he is there.

I would trade down the second time. I think the Cards'll be happy to draft Von Miller at #5 and move on, but I don't think Von Miller is a good OLB prospect. I think drafting him is a huge mistake.

Not sure I understand. Your saying Peterson and Miller are available and the "Cards'll be motivated to trade out"?

I'll be motivated to trade out if Miller is on the board, and with Peterson also on the board I'd rather trade down than draft a player--even one I like as much as Peterson--that is so far down my positional needs list. I think if we're on the clock and Peterson is on the board and Von Miller is off, we'd look to trade down and if we couldn't find anything, we'd take Peterson. In this scenario, we find a trade partner.

Based on You'r opinion? Why wouldn't they want Peterson? Antrell Rolle? He's a lot better than Rolle.

Why wouldn't it be my opinion? I think that the Cards' top 1 and 2 are Von Miller and Patrick Peterson, in that order. But with 1st round money invested in DRC (and his contract up in 2012), I'm not sure you can make that kind of investment for a nickel-back in the near-term. I'm not concerned about Peterson being a good CB.

That's giving up a possible HIGH #1. If things don't pan out, we could be in the A. Luck sweepstakes. That's high risk to get on the Camwagon. ;)

Depends on what you think of the team right now. Right now I think this is a team that could get 8+ wins with even below-average quarterback play. I don't think that using the 28th pick in the draft will drive away potential free agent quarterbacks the way that using a #5 pick on the draft would. With Marc Bulger under center and an improved linebacking corps and offensive line, I think this team could compete for the NFC West in 2011 with a mediocre quarterback. That's how big an anchor I see the QB position being in 2010.

The question is whether you think that Cam Newton and all his potential with one year in the system is better than whatever quarterback we'd get at--say--17 next year.

Like the rest of the draft. I think they're interested in taking a OG/C though. Even with the Lutui, Sendlein signings.

I was interested in one, too, but I like the linebackers I took, and I think there'll be solid developmental OL available as undrafted free agents and good veterans on the larger FA market whenever that comes along.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Panthers beat writers have stated that the team doesn't have any interest in Gabbert. They've narrowed the possible choices down to the following players.

- Cam Newton, QB Auburn
- Marcell Dareus, DT Alabama
- Patrick Peterson, CB LSU
- Von Miller, OLB Texas A&M
- Da'Quan Bowers, DE Clemson
- Robert Quinn, DE North Carolina

One of their beat writers also says that Newton is the number one player on six teams' draft boards. It's only beat writers, so you never know what's true, but Darin Gantt is apparently fairly well plugged in.

I also found this piece about Cam on CBS.com.

A high-ranking NFL source countered what NFLDraftScout.com and others had reported earlier in the week that Auburn QB Cam Newton "struggled" in team interviews conducted at the Combine.

"I think that is an example of a team trying to knock the kid down," the source said. "I can tell you right now, he was very likable with us. He answered every question we had about his off-field stuff and did a great job on the white board."

I pointed out that Newton could do well in his team's interview and then struggle in another (or several), but the source referred to specific questions asked and that the offensive coaches in the meeting later characterized Newton's answers as "perfect."

"He knew where to go with the football against different schemes, where his hot read was..." the source explained. "[Newton] did it quickly and with confidence. I wasn't in the other teams' meetings, so I don't know what they asked or how he answered, obviously. I can't imagine that kid 'struggling,' though, in that kind of setting."

The conflicting stories provide a perfect example of the smokescreens that take place in the months leading up to the draft...
I would be all for trading up for Cam if he fell to the end of the first, but I just don't see it happening. I would also break something if the Cards passed on Peterson to trade down. To me, it would be like the 2003 draft all over again.

I do love the Brooks Reed pick, although I think he'll be gone by the second. Grabbing either Reed or Acho in the second would make me very happy.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
K9 Good scenarios & I could live with the draft other than Newton.

1) IMO if you have a potential franchise player on your team board, you never pass them & trade down to acquire extra picks!!! If the Cards have Miller & PP ranked that high they better draft them. I like Houston better than Miller because I think he's a more complete player but, Miller has freakish pass rush skills & could live with him. You can't pass on PP if he's there at 5 & trade down IMO...if so the Cards will never learn.

2) IMO Smith is kind of small with questionable strength & not worth a 1st rd gamble. Raw, athletic OT.

3) Hate Newtons game when trying to translate to the NFL game. Great athlete, but not a great QB. Major project, with skills & don't think he fits Wiz's offense. I don't think he will bust, but also don't think ever gets any team to where they want to go...a Super Bowl. I really don't think the Cards will draft any QB this year.

4) Acho is going to be a good player & like him better than Reed. I'm with you on Beal playing ILB. I don't think the Cards are smart enough to add 2 OLB's & 2 ILB though they should be adding at least 3 given their current status.

5) Luv the Gates pick. I saw this guy play at ACU 2 times in 2years...he's dynamic!!! He would give the Cards their 1st homerun threat since Roy Green & he has great hands. I think he's a star in the making but might not get past Rd 3.

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I'd have a hard time passing on Peterson but it's not like they haven't done THAT before.
How come every year when free agency and draft rolls around it makes me sick that Rod Graves is still the GM. Could you imagine if Graves was the GM in a media market like NY, Boston, or Philly. He'd have been run out of town years ago. The Arizona press never even questions him about anything. Same with Whiz.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't know how good a pro Cam Newton will become, but I do know that there is no way that Daniel Snyder could pass on the guy. For his media attention alone. But maybe Snyder will be kidnapped prior to the Draft.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Why wouldn't it be my opinion? I think that the Cards' top 1 and 2 are Von Miller and Patrick Peterson, in that order. But with 1st round money invested in DRC (and his contract up in 2012), I'm not sure you can make that kind of investment for a nickel-back in the near-term. I'm not concerned about Peterson being a good CB.

I'm sure you noticed that Michael Adams wasn't tendered.

I'd love getting all those linebackers. Only thing I'd do differently would be to stay at #9 and get either Prince or Jimmy Smith. I'd rather have either one of those guys over an OT in round 1 this year.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm sure you noticed that Michael Adams wasn't tendered.

I'd love getting all those linebackers. Only thing I'd do differently would be to stay at #9 and get either Prince or Jimmy Smith. I'd rather have either one of those guys over an OT in round 1 this year.

To be honest, I traded down once and I didn't really like my options (I don't want to draft a CB in round one unless it's really necessary), so I traded down again. After Von Miller, there aren't any clear 3-4 OLBs in this draft, and I don't even think that Miller is a 3-4 OLB. So if you're stuck drafting Best Player Available at a Position of Need (BPAPON), then where we're sitting isn't a comfortable position unless you're in love with Von Miller.

This draft is RICH in top-tier DE/DT talent, but I don't see a lot of those Jason Pierre-Paul, Derrick Morgan, Jerry Hughes-type players here, especially not at #5 overall. So when you find yourself stuck at having to take an OLB (which is what we are, because there aren't any 1st round ILB prospects this year really), then you have to take a warty player like Miller or take your second-greatest position of need (IMO that's TE, but there aren't any first-round players in THAT group, either).

So, I took a player who I think can be very good at a position of need and crossed my fingers that it works out. It'll be easy to do future Mock Drafts because Von Miller is the guy the Cards are taking, that's pretty clear right now, and then you can just sit back and see the way the rest of the draft shakes out.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
there aren't any clear 3-4 OLBs in this draft,

But there are a bunch of guys who could be very solid OLBs. Like Reed and Acho. So I just don't see spending the #5 pick on Miller but that is probably what the Cards will do. Even though they just drafted the same guy last year. That's just what they do.

I really think that if you are going to be running 2-3-6 and 3-2-6 and 2-4-5 defensive alignments half the time you need to get as many top DBs as you can.
And big guys are better so teams can't run at those formations as easily. I just love the idea of having Peterson at 6'1" 222 or Smith at 6'2" 210 or Amukamara at 6'1" 205 on the field instead of Adams.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Wasn't the same thing true about Tebow last year? How far did he last? And Tebow had superior intangibles over Newton, and I think this year's draft is deeper than last's. Daryl Washington would be a 3rd round pick in this draft. Dan Williams would land in the second round.

IMO Tebow was a better overall prospect since he excelled for more than one season. In fact Tebow might be the most prolific college player of all time and his measureables were pretty good as well.

Daryl Washington a 3rd round in this draft? I don't think so, just like last year there isn't a ton of very good ILB prospects this year. Washington would easily be ranked alongside Martez Wilson. What's funny is that I like Nate Irving more than any ILB prospect I've seen in years.

No way would Williams land in the second round, IMO he's still a really good NT prospect and this draft is weak at NT.

Early

Registered
Reaction score
a slowly stud..i dont care so much about 40 dash but when you run 5.16,,you cant play olb in nfl..

This is very bad. It's Rich Eisen speed almost.

I know nothing about Beal and he could be a fantastic player. I also never care about 40 times, i don't even look at them.

But 5.16 is so bad that it really can indicate he is considerably slower than anyone else on the field. Inclusive all lineman and kickers. Maybe this is an exception where 40 time can indicate something valid on the field.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
a slowly stud..i dont care so much about 40 dash but when you run 5.16,,you cant play olb in nfl..

If you're an OLB and run a 5.16, either you are running with two torn hamstrings or you're an offensive lineman who accidentally ran with the linebackers during the combine