K9's Post-Combine Mock Draft

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I do not know why we even discuss Luck. He is likely the first pick next year. If he is the first pick then we must finish last. I do not even want to think in those terms. If we start this season with the same QBs we have now plus some low end draft pick then we would have an excellent chance of drafting luck because Fitz would be gone, our coach would be fired, Breaston would likely be on the way out and we would likely finish last in the NFL. Who wants to have such a nightmare. It is bad enough as it is.

So after last season things can not possibly get worse?

I'll believe it when I see it. They need to fill a lot of holes. Seattle is defending champion and we tied for last place. St. Lou has the only legitimate QB (signed) and you said it yourself, Cam is all or nothing, mtl. High risk to give up a future #1, with so much uncertainty reguarding the CBA and FA.

I don't want to believe the worst will happen again, but a lot has to be proven for this team to be legitimately competitive again. Unless things settle down and a deal is struck, I wouldn't barter away ANY future picks.

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I'm not sure that Newton will be there at 28 but you never know.

iF He was, with so many teams really needing a QB, wouldn't it raise some flags anyway?

The guy is so massively talented that half the people and experts consider him top 10. If he actually slipped to the bottom of the 1st round would he be worth a future #1, possibly a high #1, when so many FO's and personell experts had passed on him the first time around? Highly doubtful.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
iF He was, with so many teams really needing a QB, wouldn't it raise some flags anyway?

The guy is so massively talented that half the people and experts consider him top 10. If he actually slipped to the bottom of the 1st round would he be worth a future #1, possibly a high #1, when so many FO's and personell experts had passed on him the first time around? Highly doubtful.

1) This is a stupid argument. If Von Miller is so good, why didn't a team in front of him snatch him up? If Kurt Warner is so good, why did he get cut twice? If Anquan Boldin is so good, why did every team in the NFL pass on him in the draft, and then he got traded.

2) Do "so many teams" really need a QB, though?

Buffalo: Yes

Miami: Maybe
New England: No
New York Jets: No
Baltimore Ravens: No
Cleveland Browns: Maybe, but probably not
Cincy Bengals: Maybe soon, but they're paying a guy $11 mil this year
Pittsburgh Steelers: No
Houston Texans: No
Indy Colts: No
Jacksonville Jags: Front office probably doesn't think so.
Tennessee Titans: Probably
Denver Broncos: Got one too many
Oakland Raiders: No
San Diego Chargers: No
Kansas City Chiefs: No
Tampa Bay Bucs: No
Atlanta Falcons: No
New Orleans Saints: No
Carolina Panthers: Definitely yes
New York Giants: No
Philly Eagles: One too many
Washington Redskins: Probably
Dallas Cowboys: No
Green Bay Packers: No
Chicago Bears: No
Detroit Lions: No
Minnesota Vikings: Clearly yes
Seattle Seahawks: Not really but kinda?
Arizona Cardinals: Yes
St. Louis Rams: No
San Francisco 49ers: Yes.

So you have 6 of 32 teams with a clear quarterback need, but the thing is that those six teams are pretty much picking in the Top 10 of the draft. So if you get past that Top 10, then the only landing spot is wherever someone trades up to.

But this draft is deep in the middle of the first round--you can argue that there are 20-25 players who could be chosen between 10 and 25 or so. So a team will either happily exercise that pick, or they'll want too much to give it up. 28 seems like a low place, but I think it's more likely that a team trades back into the 1st to get the second or 3rd QB off the board than a team with a winning record takes one for themselves.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Buffalo: Yes

Miami: Maybe
Cleveland Browns: Maybe, but probably not
Cincy Bengals: Maybe soon, but they're paying a guy $11 mil this year

Jacksonville Jags: Front office probably doesn't think so.
Tennessee Titans: Probably
Carolina Panthers: Definitely yes
Washington Redskins: Probably
Minnesota Vikings: Clearly yes
Seattle Seahawks: Not really but kinda?
Arizona Cardinals: Yes
San Francisco 49ers: Yes.
I think Fitzpatrick has been serviceable for BUF and could continue to be so. This is the perfect year for them to draft a project QB and let him learn on the bench (provided that's what Gailey likes).

I still don't get the Garrard dislike. He suffers from turnovers in bunches and has consistently had mediocre talent around him. This year his TE finally shows up and he gets one good rookie and it works.

I also think Rex Grossman could have a nice resurgence in WAS.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Some support for the case against Von Miller. It pretty much seconds K-9's worries.

Dave Razzano, who spent more than two decades as an NFL scout and appears regularly on Comcast SportsNet's "Chronicle Live," believes whichever team spends a high draft pick on Miller will ultimately be disappointed.

"He's got some Vernon Gholston in him," Razzano said, referring to the sixth overall pick of the New York Jets in 2008. Gholston failed to record a sack in 42 games and was released this offseason.

"I'm not a big Von Miller fan," Razzano said. "In looking at Big-12 tape, he does not have a motor. He doesn't chase hard. They run at him, and he doesn't fight off blockers. When he gets sacks, a lot of times he's not getting blocked. He's a one-move guy."

Miller recorded 17.0 sacks as a junior, and he was reportedly hampered early last season with a high-ankle sprain. After a slow start, Miller posted 10.5 sacks.

"I think that's an excuse," Razzano said of the injury. "I use Pat Willis as an example. He would still be tough and aggressive. But Miller doesn't fight off blocks. He still shows speed on film, but I don't see the effort."

"Somebody is going to make a mistake on him."