K9's Post-Combine Mock Draft

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If you're an OLB and run a 5.16, either you are running with two torn hamstrings or you're an offensive lineman who accidentally ran with the linebackers during the combine

Something must be wrong because I've seen Beal play and he isn't slower than the offensive linemen.

I wish they would do a test that showed how quick players were. JJ Arrington was fast but he wasn't quick. It took him awhile to get going. Maybe an explosion drill measuring how quickly guys covered 5 or 10 yards going off the snap of the football instead of running a track based 40 yard dash.

I ran track at Texas State (Southwest Texas) and saw many sprinters who were stronger the last 50 yards of the 100 or 200.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Something must be wrong because I've seen Beal play and he isn't slower than the offensive linemen.

I wish they would do a test that showed how quick players were. JJ Arrington was fast but he wasn't quick. It took him awhile to get going. Maybe an explosion drill measuring how quickly guys covered 5 or 10 yards going off the snap of the football instead of running a track based 40 yard dash.

I ran track at Texas State (Southwest Texas) and saw many sprinters who were stronger the last 50 yards of the 100 or 200.

At the combine they time in 10 yard increments, and the three cone drill also indicates quickness. Sprinters stronger in their last 5O is a bit of an illusion, as I'm sure you know. It simply indicates that they have a better control of the rate of deceleration, not that they are actually running faster.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the players and where they're taken...I hate giving up next year's #1 and 3.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I like the players and where they're taken...I hate giving up next year's #1 and 3.
That'd be the scary part for me, a lot of teams don't get stronger by trading away high future picks and the best teams seem to have a stockpile of them.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I'm sure you noticed that Michael Adams wasn't tendered.

I'd love getting all those linebackers. Only thing I'd do differently would be to stay at #9 and get either Prince or Jimmy Smith. I'd rather have either one of those guys over an OT in round 1 this year.

+1

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
My big meh about your draft is if people are right about where Nate Irving is slotted he should be available at that spot. Nate Irving is a natural ILB and still has a much higher ceiling than Beal. Heck, he played on the inside and made almost as many plays in the backfield as Beal.

This may sound crazy, but I think there is too much redundancy in your draft. FOUR LINEBACKERS? I know your caveat is that this is what you would do, but you're largely ignoring multiple positions on this team that could use some depth. IMO that's how we've gotten into this mess (especially on the offensive line), not drafting enough players at a few positions over the past 3-4 years (LB, OL, QB).

I think the Cards walk away with two LBs, DE/DT, OL, WR, TE and maybe a CB/S. I doubt we draft a QB, RB, and PK.

I'm now leaning to believe the Cardinals take Von Miller. I'm warming to him as a prospect since he ran so well and has added enough weight not to be tiny any more. Many 3-4 OLBs have been his size or smaller, and has a proven track record of effectiveness. Guys like him tend to get better still as well as they fill out more and become more well rounded players.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

I was trying to be funny.... ;) Didnt work I guess

But 5.16 overall for an OLB is unacceptable

seesred

Reaction score
WE are going to pick a QB sack guy with are first! We will not get Cam Newton we will trade for a QB that has been through some wars.

GBR

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I was trying to be funny.... ;) Didnt work I guess

But 5.16 overall for an OLB is unacceptable

I know you were trying to be funny but 5.16 is slower than some of the linemen and I just didn't see Beal being that slow during the games.

Very strange.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
My big meh about your draft is if people are right about where Nate Irving is slotted he should be available at that spot. Nate Irving is a natural ILB and still has a much higher ceiling than Beal. Heck, he played on the inside and made almost as many plays in the backfield as Beal.

This may sound crazy, but I think there is too much redundancy in your draft. FOUR LINEBACKERS? I know your caveat is that this is what you would do, but you're largely ignoring multiple positions on this team that could use some depth. IMO that's how we've gotten into this mess (especially on the offensive line), not drafting enough players at a few positions over the past 3-4 years (LB, OL, QB).

I think the Cards walk away with two LBs, DE/DT, OL, WR, TE and maybe a CB/S. I doubt we draft a QB, RB, and PK.

I'm now leaning to believe the Cardinals take Von Miller. I'm warming to him as a prospect since he ran so well and has added enough weight not to be tiny any more. Many 3-4 OLBs have been his size or smaller, and has a proven track record of effectiveness. Guys like him tend to get better still as well as they fill out more and become more well rounded players.

So your quibble is essentially that I didn't draft a DE/DT or CB? Because I drafted OL, TE, and WR to go along with an infusion of talent at LB, which will help not only the base defense, but also our wretched special teams.

I don't believe the Cards will take Von Miller; I'm certain of it. I have no doubts. I just don't think it's a good idea, especially because we have a smallish, one-gap DE playing next to him in Dockett, and a similar-sized OLB in Joey Porter was getting blown out of plays all year last year. Not sure why you're surprised or impressed by his 40; we all knew he was fast.

Yes, Casey Matthews has had success at a similar size, but he was playing next to 6'2", 340 lbs Ryan Pickett. Brian Orakpo had 11 sacks as a rookie playing OLB in a 4-3 to 8.5 sacks this year when he only had 285 lbs Vonnie Holliday protecting his inside shoulder.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So your quibble is essentially that I didn't draft a DE/DT or CB? Because I drafted OL, TE, and WR to go along with an infusion of talent at LB, which will help not only the base defense, but also our wretched special teams.

I don't believe the Cards will take Von Miller; I'm certain of it. I have no doubts. I just don't think it's a good idea, especially because we have a smallish, one-gap DE playing next to him in Dockett, and a similar-sized OLB in Joey Porter was getting blown out of plays all year last year. Not sure why you're surprised or impressed by his 40; we all knew he was fast.

Yes, Casey Matthews has had success at a similar size, but he was playing next to 6'2", 340 lbs Ryan Pickett. Brian Orakpo had 11 sacks as a rookie playing OLB in a 4-3 to 8.5 sacks this year when he only had 285 lbs Vonnie Holliday protecting his inside shoulder.

I "certainly" know, and have "no doubts" that you do not know who the Cards will finally select in April.

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score

Matthews plays behind Cullen Jenkins. For what it's worth.

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I "certainly" know, and have "no doubts" that you do not know who the Cards will finally select in April.

Well, you seem to know for certain that they won't take D. Bowers. The truth is, there are a lot of variables at play and no one knows for sure what will transpire.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Yes, I don't think it's realistic that we'll draft so many LBs, two of which are projects according to your own comments. IMO Jeremy Beal goes undrafted now as well, or at the most is a late round pick. In your mock you reached for a guy who has terrible measureables and is also a projection to inside LB. Terrible pick IMO. Much better value players that PLAY ILB already will be available there.

I think we probably will, but that doesn't mean he won't improve. IMO even if he's not great against the run, he'll still improve our run defense. Joey Porter was monumentally bad last year in all facets of playing OLB. Didn't say I was surprised, though Miller doesn't look like a 4.4 guy on the field.

You do raise a point here, but going forward and it pains me to say this, I think one of the major things that needs to change on this team is Darnell Dockett. He either needs to learn to be more of a stay at home, 2 gap tackle or he needs to go. Dockett is a pretty good player, but he isn't replaceable. Probably 15-20 DE/DTs would be significantly better than him in our scheme. Von Miller on the other hand wouldn't have that many players that could replace his ability, and he's not as flawed as Dockett is in our scheme, his weaknesses could be covered by good defensive scheme.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You do raise a point here, but going forward and it pains me to say this, I think one of the major things that needs to change on this team is Darnell Dockett. He either needs to learn to be more of a stay at home, 2 gap tackle or he needs to go. Dockett is a pretty good player, but he isn't replaceable. Probably 15-20 DE/DTs would be significantly better than him in our scheme. Von Miller on the other hand wouldn't have that many players that could replace his ability, and he's not as flawed as Dockett is in our scheme, his weaknesses could be covered by good defensive scheme.

Well, we just committed a ton of money to Darnell Dockett, so if he's going to go, then that's a real problem with the coaching staff, who lobbied for his extension.

Von Miller just doesn't jump out to me on tape as a guy with natural pass rush ability. Great natrual speed, but watch his game against Nebraska and you see him run himself out of the play over and over and over again. IMO, NFL left tackles are going to see this and eat him alive. He is going to have to develop a variety of pass rush moves and counters to get back inside, because right now all he has is speed, and he runs himself out of plays.

The other thing he does is give up on plays once the ball carrier or QB runs out of his range. The last thing I want to spend a #5 overall pick on is a guy who gives up on plays once the ball is past the LOS.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Von Miller on the other hand wouldn't have that many players that could replace his ability,

The Cards have a guy currently on their roster that could easily replace Miller's ability.

A guy who, until Von Miller became the fashionable draft prospect, was being touted as a tremendous steal in last year's draft.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well, you seem to know for certain that they won't take D. Bowers. The truth is, there are a lot of variables at play and no one knows for sure what will transpire.

You're confusing me with someone else, Bubbles.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Well, we just committed a ton of money to Darnell Dockett, so if he's going to go, then that's a real problem with the coaching staff, who lobbied for his extension.

Von Miller just doesn't jump out to me on tape as a guy with natural pass rush ability. Great natrual speed, but watch his game against Nebraska and you see him run himself out of the play over and over and over again. IMO, NFL left tackles are going to see this and eat him alive. He is going to have to develop a variety of pass rush moves and counters to get back inside, because right now all he has is speed, and he runs himself out of plays.

The other thing he does is give up on plays once the ball carrier or QB runs out of his range. The last thing I want to spend a #5 overall pick on is a guy who gives up on plays once the ball is past the LOS.

Oh I've seen it too, but I still think he'll get his numbers and hopefully some of his Simeon Rice-like traits can be worked on in the NFL. Simeon did the same thing as a pro, and was a Pro Bowl performer.

From reading people familiar with Texas A&Ms defense, this is pretty much what Von was asked to do: get after the QB every play.

I'm not saying Miller doesn't have his warts, but weighing in at the combine at a decent playing weight for a 3-4 OLB and running well justifies his talent from what you see on the field. No other player (save Justin Houston) has the chance to fit perfectly in our defense right now; he is the perfect intersection between need and best player available and IMO he looks like he still has some upside. He doesn't look like his frame is maxed out IMO.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No confusion

Confused you are. I said that unlike you, Whiz and Horton aren't considering implementing a 4-3. That does not preclude the selection of Bowers or anyone else.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I like it. Thanks for no having the Cards draft the QB McElroy in the second.

I see McEloy going more like in round 4 or 5. Surely not 2. The guy looks to be a later round excellent project pick. He is clearly a brainiac, a winner in college but may not have the arm the pros look for and not be a 6'4" plus prototype. However they view him will be kept close to the vest until draft day.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
You think that Cam Newton is falling to #28?

Has he been arrested for involvement in a drive by shooting in the last 30 minutes?

I sure do not think he drops to #28. He has a lot of cons but you sure cannot overlook his size, arm, running ability, and potential. I think he goes in top 10 not that I would even make him our choice at #5. I still think Gabbert is the most NFL ready in the short run. Perhaps 2-3 years down the road Cam will be an all-pro or a bust. To me is an all or nothing.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Not sure I understand. Your saying Peterson and Miller are available and the "Cards'll be motivated to trade out"?

Based on You'r opinion? Why wouldn't they want Peterson? Antrell Rolle? He's a lot better than Rolle.

That's giving up a possible HIGH #1. If things don't pan out, we could be in the A. Luck sweepstakes. That's high risk to get on the Camwagon. ;)

Like the rest of the draft. I think they're interested in taking a OG/C though. Even with the Lutui, Sendlein signings.

I do not know why we even discuss Luck. He is likely the first pick next year. If he is the first pick then we must finish last. I do not even want to think in those terms. If we start this season with the same QBs we have now plus some low end draft pick then we would have an excellent chance of drafting luck because Fitz would be gone, our coach would be fired, Breaston would likely be on the way out and we would likely finish last in the NFL. Who wants to have such a nightmare. It is bad enough as it is.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like that you address the LB corp with 4 picks. I think they need to get at least 2-3 out of this draft.

I also like the idea of trading out of #5 overall and moving back a few spots while we pick up an extra draft pick. Taking an OT at that spot makes a lot of sense and is really what I would like to see the Cardinals do.

However my favorite OT is Anthony Constanzo and he would be my choice at that spot. I watched him at the Senior Bowl and the Combine and he really impressed. He is intelligent and versatile(Played 4 spots on the OL at the Senior Bowl). But what I really liked is his quickness and fundamentals. At the Combine they had the linemen doing a pulling drill and Constanzo was lightning fast out of his stance and showed perfect fundamentals.

I do like Smith's potential but I see him as a little more of a project when compared to Constanzo.

I'm not sure that Newton will be there at 28 but you never know.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson