Justin Upton is a huge disappointment!

OP
OP
devilalum

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Lest you forget, he was a top notch HS SS when he was drafted, he switched because we drafted Stephen Drew the year before. He played the position a lot longer than OF. He may require some practice and time but its not like he never played the position. He is a terrible OF so I feel that he would be a better SS than OF.

Drew may have factored into the decision making process but I think they had reservations about him playing SS. He's also put on a lot of weight since high school. I don't know if he'd be quick enough to play SS anymore.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I wonder if he has a bad attitude because they tried to trade him during the off season?

No matter, the Dbacks have won like 16 out of 18 with their "best" player doing NOTHING.

On a positive note who's the early front runner to represent the Dbacks at the All Star game? I'd say either Kennedy or Young, maybe both if they throw the Dbacks a bone for hosting. I don't think we have a bona fide star on the team at this point.

Young? Really??? Over Putz? Heck, Roberts or Bloomquist are even more deserving than is Young...

OP
OP
devilalum

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Young? Really??? Over Putz? Heck, Roberts or Bloomquist are even more deserving than is Young...

I was trying to think of our best position player. Young is definitely the most deserving of that lot. Best fielder, most RBIs, most runs scored, most home runs, most game winning hits, slugging .457.

But you're right about Putz, if him and Kennedy stay on track one or both of them would be the logical choice.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Upton reads ASFN! I think he answered everyone tonight, and now he just needs to keep this same approach going forward. It's clear how much more productive he can be when he just tries to make good contact as you guys have been saying. This team is going to do some big things if he can be consistent with that.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Upton reads ASFN! I think he answered everyone tonight, and now he just needs to keep this same approach going forward. It's clear how much more productive he can be when he just tries to make good contact as you guys have been saying. This team is going to do some big things if he can be consistent with that.

He also had a big triple yesterday that got the offense started. It's nice to see him getting hits, hopefully he can go on a long hot streak. Also, I think Justin will be in the home run contest this year.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Its only one game, but he looked good.

Lets not be so quick to run off 23 year old five tool players and maybe allow them some time to develop. I think the best thing that ever happened to Justin Upton was Kirk Gibson and I think he will show many times over the rest of the season.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That move on the pitcher to steal 3rd says everything you want to know about how much better life would be if Upton had just a normal OBP.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
So, I think he's going to be here for a while. :) I want to see him get a sixth hit tonight. Let's get to 20!

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

lol I thinking the same thing.

BEHOLD THE POWER OF THE ASFN CALLOUT THREAD!!!

Haha, amazing day for Upton, hope this puts him on a roll!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Yup, it's a good sign. Make contact all night. Then pick out your pitch to hit a mile.

Nasser22 said:
Also, I think Justin will be in the home run contest this year.
Even though the All Star game will be in Phoenix, please don't be quick to wish for that. In the past, players who participated in the home run derby have reported that trying to hit a homerun on every pitch in the contest screwed up their swing for the rest of the season. It is just not worth it!

Setting up Justin to be the center of attention doesn't work, as we've seen for a few seasons now. Let Russell Branyan be in the home run contest this year instead, regardless of what uniform he is wearing. :)

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its only one game, but he looked good.

Lets not be so quick to run off 23 year old five tool players and maybe allow them some time to develop. I think the best thing that ever happened to Justin Upton was Kirk Gibson and I think he will show many times over the rest of the season.

Yep. This thread is rediculous.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I am wondering why you say that. If fans are thinking like the Manager, and he got through to Upton, why is our posting it rediculous? Justin Upton has been a huge disappointment.

If this one night is truly the start of him beginning to realize his potential, and eliminating his tantrums and carelessness on the field, good for him, good for the team and good for us.

OP
OP
devilalum

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

Why, because he had ONE monster game?

And by the way, you have to be able to field to be a 5 tool player.

Even if Upton hits .400 for the rest of the season that won't change the fact that he was disappointing from the beginning of last year until today.

But it WOULD make it easy to forget.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Why, because he had ONE monster game?

And by the way, you have to be able to field to be a 5 tool player.

Even if Upton hits .400 for the rest of the season that won't change the fact that he was disappointing from the beginning of last year until today.

But it WOULD make it easy to forget.

The thing is you are flat out wrong about him being a poor outfielder. If you have more range you will get more errors, that is just fact. He is able to get to balls most guys have no chance of getting.

If you don't believe me here are stats to back it up:
His range runs above average (RngR) he is third in the NL at 4.4. 1st is Parra and 2nd is Maybin.

Upton is 18th in the NL in UZR (Ultimate Zone Rating). To show you how good the Diamondback outfield is Parra is 1st and Young is 9th.

Upton is worth 4.5 runs over an average outfielder in the UZR/150 which is good enough 19th. Parra is again 1st (with a ridiculous 34.1) and Young is 14th.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...type=1&season=2011&month=0&season1=2011&ind=0

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The thing is you are flat out wrong about him being a poor outfielder. If you have more range you will get more errors, that is just fact. He is able to get to balls most guys have no chance of getting.

If you don't believe me here are stats to back it up:
His range runs above average (RngR) he is third in the NL at 4.4. 1st is Parra and 2nd is Maybin.

Upton is 18th in the NL in UZR (Ultimate Zone Rating). To show you how good the Diamondback outfield is Parra is 1st and Young is 9th.

Upton is worth 4.5 runs over an average outfielder in the UZR/150 which is good enough 19th. Parra is again 1st (with a ridiculous 34.1) and Young is 14th.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...type=1&season=2011&month=0&season1=2011&ind=0
The two gripes against Upton's fielding so far have been (1) his undisciplined throws, particularly failing to hit the cutoff man and (2) lackadaisically going after balls, then having to turn it on and try for a spectacular play.

Neither of those traits shows in the record book.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
upton's best game as a D-Back IMO and I was sittin in Uptown for the whole thing.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
The two gripes against Upton's fielding so far have been (1) his undisciplined throws, particularly failing to hit the cutoff man and (2) lackadaisically going after balls, then having to turn it on and try for a spectacular play.

Neither of those traits shows in the record book.

Except they do.

UZR (ultimate zone rating): The number of runs above or below average a fielder is in both range runs, outfield arm runs, double play runs and error runs combined
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/glossary/

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Upton's obviously not going to play like this every game, but I would take 1/3rd of today's offensive production and hustle on defense on an everyday basis. If he does that he's an All-Star and still not touching his full potential.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not really. If Upton hustled every play, he would rank 1st in all of those categories. It can't measure plays he made that SHOULD have been better plays because of lazy throws or not hustling to get under balls. Upton has the kind of arm NO ONE should be able to tag on him on a mid-range fly ball, not even second to third, but he doesn't always get in the best position to throw.

OP
OP
devilalum

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Bottom line:

Yes, he's a very gifted athlete but if Upton didn't have these maturity issues we're all talking about no way the Dbacks would have been trying to trade him this past off season.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Bottom line:

Yes, he's a very gifted athlete but if Upton didn't have these maturity issues we're all talking about no way the Dbacks would have been trying to trade him this past off season.
There have been some players who just never got it for their whole career. Two in particular come to mind.

Richie Allen of the Phillies could have been one of baseball's best hitters, but never got it.

Later in his career, he wanted to be called Dick Allen. I guessed he realized it was time for him to grow up, or was it that he realized he was a . . . never mind. :)

Kevin Mitchell of the Giants never really his fulfilled his potential as a heart-of-the-batting-order hitter.

Justin Upton may just be one of those. Let's see if he becomes consistent in picking out the pitches he tries to hit to Friday's fifth row or if he reverts to trying to put every ball high into the air or striking out.

The D'backs have invested in him. I know which one we are rooting for.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am wondering why you say that. If fans are thinking like the Manager, and he got through to Upton, why is our posting it rediculous? Justin Upton has been a huge disappointment.

If this one night is truly the start of him beginning to realize his potential, and eliminating his tantrums and carelessness on the field, good for him, good for the team and good for us.

#1. He is 23 and some of you need to sit back and let him develop.

#2. For the stat geeks that harp on his batting average:

(his rankings on the diamondbacks)

#2 in Runs
#1 in Hits
#1 in Home Runs
#2 (tied) in Doubles
#3 (tied) in RBIs
#1 in Total Bases
#3 in Walks
#1 in Stolen Bases

He is staring at a 25/25/100/100 season and people are complaining. I am sure that when he is on the All Star Team there will be those talking about how he doesn't deserve it.

I say again...rediculous