Justin Bethel

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bethel does need to improve on ball awareness but he was always in position to make the play. That's why him getting targeted today was a good thing, he gets practice in real games and the coaches can work on his technique flaws.

Can't wait to see him progress as we march through the playoffs.

Exactly, he's right there on every play, he just isn't fast enough reacting to the WR. When they turn their head, you turn yours. He'll be fine.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
From cbssports.com
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...6-packers-look-like-a-team-going-nowhere-fast

Rodgers was rarely able to hit his primary read on any play against the Cardinals. Almost every time he dropped back to pass, Rodgers would be forced to look for his second or third read, which is fine, if he has time to throw. However, when he doesn't have time to throw, things get ugly, like they did in Arizona.

It's really hard to criticize anyone on our defense when you read things like that. If Bethel was truly that bad, Rodgers would have been throwing at him on his first read every single time. It just didn't work out that way.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
You guys are complaining about how bethel played? Really? He played great. He got thrown at close to ten times and only had what 5 completions for 46 yrds and a game changing int? Oh yea he played horrible. SMH.

Redneck Voodoo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Considering they were playing without HB and Rashad, I thought the secondary was superb. Rodgers was probably hoping to take advantage of them, but he's the one that got taken advantage of, IMO. I'll take this every week of every year.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You guys are complaining about how bethel played? Really? He played great. He got thrown at close to ten times and only had what 5 completions for 46 yrds and a game changing int? Oh yea he played horrible. SMH.

They need something to complain about. Guarantee you Bethel is on the goat list thread, and I thought he played really well.

OP
OP
N

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
5 receptions for 46 yards...that lunch you're talking about must be a lunchable.

Dont forget his holding PI on third down in the second quarter, and his 40 yard PI later in the game. There was another play too, I forgot who it was that got the only big completion of the game for thr Packers, it was man coverage and Bethel was 10 feet behind the guy. The box score does not tell this story, for any of you that think that was a serviceable performance, you are not paying attention to the details of the game. Horrendous. Im looking for a detailed box score some where. I would like to see how many times we was thrown at, and how many catches were allowed.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Dont forget his holding PI on third down in the second quarter, and his 40 yard PI later in the game. There was another play too, I forgot who it was that got the only big completion of the game for thr Packers, it was man coverage and Bethel was 10 feet behind the guy. The box score does not tell this story, for any of you that think that was a serviceable performance, you are not paying attention to the details of the game. Horrendous. Im looking for a detailed box score some where. I would like to see how many times we was thrown at, and how many catches were allowed.

So throw out everything then. Let's assume he gave up everything to the Packers, every single play and score. Let's even ignore his game-changing INT. They scored 8 freaking points. So Bethel gave up 8 points, against Aaron freaking Rodgers. Feel better?

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The box score does not tell this story, for any of you that think that was a serviceable performance, you are not paying attention to the details of the game. Horrendous.

I was there, and I watched the ENTIRE game - the good, the bad, the ugly. You seem to be focused 100% on the negatives, and yes there were some. Overall? I absolutely think it was a "serviceable" performance. Could he do better? Sure. And I'm confident he will.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He gave up 5 catches for 46 yards. Made some great plays on special teams and picked off Rodgers in the end zone.

These type of post are just getting ridiculous. Guys just complaining to complain.

dylanbw

Registered
Reaction score
Bethel played well. He had the only INT for us and it came at a crucial time of the game. Had they scored 7 after the Palmer turnover, this game is 10-7 going into half. That's a huge turnaround. Huge. Instead it was 17-0. The difference that made in the game can't be understated. It took Lacy completely out of the game in the 2nd half. Bethel played well.

People in the game day thread were saying he was being picked on in the 2nd half. I say good. First, he needs the play as a 2nd corner--he led the team in tackles and INT's--and secondly it means PP is (again) locking down his man. No team has 2 #1 CB's. We may have the best in PP, that means Bethel is going to get (picked on) thrown at. Doesn't mean he sucks, just means PP is awesome. Bethel needed this game in a huge way. And he played really well. We held them to 8 points, the Packers, with Aaron freaking Rodgers, it's not like he was giving up TD's galore.

And it's not just that we only gave up 8 points, they had to throw early in the game, which means we held Rodgers to 8 points. Bethel is fine. Totally fine. Great game by him.

Agreed on all counts on Bethel. This thread is as bad as that one knocking Michael Floyd from about 2 months ago.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Dude was targeted 11 times and gave up five catches,...had two penalties,...and a game changing INT in the end zone

not just that but he also made a couple of great plays on ST

when you consider how little game exp he has at corner JB did a fantastic job out there as the #2 CB

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think Bethel is fine, He seems to be in position more times than not, If I have to critique him, I wish he would turn around and look for the ball more often.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Bethel is fine, He seems to be in position more times than not, If I have to critique him, I wish he would turn around and look for the ball more often.

Fair criticism of him, not turning around. We just have to remember he's on special teams 99% of the time, running full speed, and he's trained to look ahead. It's muscle memory and will take some time to coach him properly. He's not perfect, but he played well for a #2.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bethel was targeted all night. He had a great game.

This team is 13-2, clearly the best team in the NFL, peaking at exactly the right moment, just put away a 10-4 Aaron Rogers led Packers team and we are complaining about Bethel?

Some people just do not know how to enjoy life. If someone gave them $100,000 in cash they would worry about paper cuts.

OP
OP
N

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
:sad:
I was there, and I watched the ENTIRE game - the good, the bad, the ugly. You seem to be focused 100% on the negatives, and yes there were some. Overall? I absolutely think it was a "serviceable" performance. Could he do better? Sure. And I'm confident he will.

Haha point taken, and I will surrender to the majority that Bethel is 'decent'. No disrespect but the fact that you were 'there' makes your case almost irrelevant. Going is a great experience but from analytical purposes, you dont get 10% of what you do on TV.

OP
OP
N

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Bethel was targeted all night. He had a great game.

This team is 13-2, clearly the best team in the NFL, peaking at exactly the right moment, just put away a 10-4 Aaron Rogers led Packers team and we are complaining about Bethel?

Some people just do not know how to enjoy life. If someone gave them $100,000 in cash they would worry about paper cuts.

Read the original post, where do you get that i am complaining? These boards are created to generate discussion and 90% of what is discussed is what could be changed or improved. I am happy as can be, but i dont watch the game bathing in coolaid or illusion either like some people. I also dont make personal inferences on the internet that i wouldnt say in person like some people.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Bethel didn't allow any deep passes over the top which is what BA and Betcher wanted from him. Anyone could give up some catches to Rodgers.

Considering how much they were picking on him I thought he held up pretty well. It isn't like Powers or even Peterson (or any corner that plays man coverage) doesn't allow completions.

I thought he panicked a little on the pi and the the hold was ticky tack. I thought he got away with contact on another play that wasn't called.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Dude was targeted 11 times and gave up five catches,...had two penalties,...and a game changing INT in the end zone

not just that but he also made a couple of great plays on ST

when you consider how little game exp he has at corner JB did a fantastic job out there as the #2 CB

THIS! And nuff said already! Hard to believe people could be bashing Bethel in this game... It's laughable!

OP
OP
N

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Darkside and Hypothesis - still drinking the coolaid? Smoked again today...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
he's not a very good CB. Okay depth guy but leaves a lot to be desired as a starter... which we're now paying him to be which scares me a little for next year.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Darkside and Hypothesis - still drinking the coolaid? Smoked again today...
I'm always full on kool-aid.

However, I disagree with those saying this game is meaningless or that the team didn't care/didn't try. I think that's just something people say to rationalize this ass kicking. If we were curb stomping them the way they are we'd be calling it a statement game, saying way to send a message, protect the nest, etc.

Bethel wasn't our only problem today. He didn't give up 36 points (as I write this). Our special teams were atrocious. At halftime Lockett had more total yards than our entire team, most of it on returns.

The next two weeks will be difficult not to respond with venom to the idiocy already starting.

There's nothing good to be taken from this beat down.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why are people so hard on this guy. He's still learning the posution.

Whole freaking team got smoked today