Jordan Hicks on Cowherd

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That is High School level thinking/philosophy. The best defensive systems in the NFL put players in positions to be successful and best utilize their skill set.

Hicks is overmatched in coverage and in space. Putting him in these situations because you can't figure out how to get anyone else able to call a defense is just selfish coaching.

Too funny!

I'm starting to believe that you actually think you know more about running a "D" than the guy who's got the job.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Too funny!

I'm starting to believe that you actually think you know more about running a "D" than the guy who's got the job.
I know enough people and have invested enough time in football to understand what makes good defenses good and average/bad defenses bad. I understand how the choices coaches make impact the players and vice versa. I understand schematics.

Am I saying I can go out and call a defense at an NFL level today...no, of course not. But there is a difference between the two and I am smart enough to know that

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Woah, I actually live in a place voted best to live in the UK. You would love it!! ;)

Sure, sure... voted by Gloucesteritertistes who haven't travelled 10 miles because of the language barrier.

I stand with my two legs firmly planted in the air with your compatriot BritCard and his view on Hicks in this campaign. ;)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is part of the polarization that we see on the board. We were the worst team in the NFL after the 3 game streak. Now we beat Dallas and we are over the moon.

We (as fans) shouldn't have such a myopic view.
hyperbolic garbage. no one was saying we were the worst team in the NFL. People were pissed that it looked like we were completely collapsing again like the previous two years and believed the talent on the field was better than what they showed.

and I don't see a lot of people over the moon. I think most of us who were really concerned have stepped back off the cliff, but I and many others still have reservations moving forward.

we as fans shouldn't paint with such a broad brush.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hyperbolic garbage. no one was saying we were the worst team in the NFL. People were pissed that it looked like we were completely collapsing again like the previous two years and believed the talent on the field was better than what they showed.

and I don't see a lot of people over the moon. I think most of us who were really concerned have stepped back off the cliff, but I and many others still have reservations moving forward.

It was meant to be hyperbolic. That is the way we are for the most part. You can agree or disagree.

cheesebeef said:

We shouldn't, but that is typically how these message boards are. I visit forums of lots of different sports and most if not all do the same thing. It is the way it goes.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That is part of the polarization that we see on the board. We were the worst team in the NFL after the 3 game streak. Now we beat Dallas and we are over the moon.

We (as fans) shouldn't have such a myopic view.

And the media is just as bad. I caught that show with rex Ryan. They were beating the cowboys down with no mercy. Meanwhile cowherd is back on the AZ bandwagon. The overreacting to one game is just over the top.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And the media is just as bad. I caught that show with rex Ryan. They were beating the cowboys down with no mercy. Meanwhile cowherd is back on the AZ bandwagon. The overreacting to one game is just over the top.
Thank you. This is exactly what I am trying to articulate.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For much of the year people wanted to see Collins in there over Hicks.

Never understood that because Hicks has been pretty good all year and deserving to play.

I want to see him on the field, but not necessarily in the place of Hicks at this time. He could be in there for Walker, Gardeck, even Kennard.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don’t know man, the team was pretty bad. If you had asked me Sunday morning…

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Talked about the 3 game losing streak and how it gave the team a chance to mature and overcome adversity.

Hicks is obviously having one of his best seasons - only NFL player with 100+ tackles, at least 4 sacks and 5 pass defenses. Cowherd asked the reason for his good season. Jordan said year 3 in the scheme and knowing the details.

Cowherd asked him for the 2 best attributes of Kliff Kingsbury. He said first and foremost, his confidence, he never doubts himself and that rubs off on the team. Second attribute he named was Kliff's offensive mind-he puts guys in position to succeed.
Reading between the lines, Hicks praised KK nothing. Confidence and offensive mind can be said for about every single offense coach. I bet he will say exactly the same when asked about McCoy after a win.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
It ABSOLUTELY isn't. The post was about the grief that Hicks has received on this board. He generally has received positive praise this year, and grief it previous years. Not only is it relevant, it is factual.
Not sure anybody could survive this board? Fire KK, bench KM for colt, Conner sucks, not like I haven’t vented past reasonable normal, we are fanatics. Hicks is having a great year, not good.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It ABSOLUTELY isn't. The post was about the grief that Hicks has received on this board. He generally has received positive praise this year, and grief it previous years. Not only is it relevant, it is factual.
every call for collins to start is a call to make hicks unemployed

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figured it out a few weeks back.

Hicks knows the defense / is instinctive enough to be in 90% of the plays

Hicks isn't athletic enough to make 90% of the plays.

Both sides of this coin are correct. By nature of opportunity that he creates, he will have great stats. By nature of ability he will frustrate people who don't focus on stats.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Both sides of this coin are correct. By nature of opportunity that he creates, he will have great stats. By nature of ability he will frustrate people who don't focus on stats.
Nailed it.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hicks gets way more grief than he deserves. He's been very good this year.

He gets a lot of grief, because up until this year, he deserved it.
Hicks has been one of the better LB on this team since day one (Chandler Jones would be #1).
That may be a product of the lack of talent at the position but he has been better than just good/average. People calling him below average are kidding themselves. We have had many years of bad LB play and these last three years are not one of them.
The year prior to Hicks our MLB were Gerald Hodges and Joe Walker??? Would you rather have them?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hicks has been one of the better LB on this team since day one (Chandler Jones would be #1).
That may be a product of the lack of talent at the position but he has been better than just good/average. People calling him below average are kidding themselves. We have had many years of bad LB play and these last three years are not one of them.
The year prior to Hicks our MLB were Gerald Hodges and Joe Walker??? Would you rather have them?

If you ain't Darius Leonard or Fred Warner you suck apparently.

Linebacker gets a lot of disrespect. I've seen it called a low value position. In my opinion it's the hardest job on defense and I think performance is very much dependent on the talent and scheme around the LB position.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course not, but that is moving the goal posts.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Hicks has taken a tremendous amount of grief this year. I haven’t been arguing the importance of his mental aspects of playing the position all season in a vacuum.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I think you ignore the third side of the coin . . . who is his replacement? If it’s Collins and he’s not playing because he doesn’t know the defense he won’t be in position 90% of the time to make the 90% of the plays he’s athletic enough to make.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hicks has taken a tremendous amount of grief this year. I haven’t been arguing the importance of his mental aspects of playing the position all season in a vacuum.
I read most of the posts in the forum outside of the game day threads. That is where he gets most of it is seems. I relented to that on posts above.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson