Johnny Football Suspended...

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
agreed.

seriously...how can Cbus complain about the OSU thing. They got caught red-handed...then tried to cover up what they did...and STILL were allowed their players to play that season.

A&M will likely get theirs...once the NCAA squeezes every last drop out of them that they can.
The NCAA is a joke and ridiculously arbitrary and insonsistent in how they dole out punishment and will certainly wait until JF leaves college before they lay down the law.

They suck.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1.

Doesn't hurt that he is white, and his parents are loaded.

A son of a rich, white oligarchist who lives in Texas?

Not a chance he was getting punished.

And yes, I am stereotyping to save you all the mud slinging.

:bang:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think part of this "settlement" is a double-jeopardy agreement. The NCAA won't pursue any further investigation and considers the case closed. The punishment has been handed out and there won't be any more, even if new info comes out.

Until I see that publicly announced I doubt it. The NCAA did this with Derrick Rose, twice, and in the end Memphis went on probation when the NCAA got the truth about him. They said because Memphis was aware of suspicion against Rose(cheating on his SAT), they were being held to strict liability, you chose to play him knowing he might not be eligible, you pay the price.

A&M knows perfectly well it's possible more information comes out later. And the NCAA has repeatedly over the years reversed decisions because they got new information available, either to suspend someone, or clear them.

I'd be pretty surprised if Manziel was able to get a deal that guaranteed him no further punishment if people came forward with proof. In fact the cynic in me suspects that's why the NCAA did this so quickly, they want someone to now come forward with proof because they're mad at how light the penalty was.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 1/2 game suspension was self imposed by Texas A & M and the NCAA agreed. There is a difference. Now A & M will not have to forfeit any future games for using an ineligible player.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 1/2 game suspension was self imposed by Texas A & M and the NCAA agreed. There is a difference. Now A & M will not have to forfeit any future games for using an ineligible player.

THey did the same thign with USC basketball and still gave them further penalties later when they finished their investigation.

USC self penalized in basketball, and football, and then got hit again in both when the NCAA issued their final report.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the ESPN story.

"If additional information comes to light, the NCAA will review and consider if further action is appropriate," the NCAA said in the joint statement. "NCAA rules are clear that student-athletes may not accept money for items they sign, and based on information provided by Manziel, that did not happen in this case."

He was suspended because he allowed his signature or likeness to be used for advertising purposes, but they found no evidence he actually got paid to do so.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the ESPN story.

"If additional information comes to light, the NCAA will review and consider if further action is appropriate," the NCAA said in the joint statement. "NCAA rules are clear that student-athletes may not accept money for items they sign, and based on information provided by Manziel, that did not happen in this case."

He was suspended because he allowed his signature or likeness to be used for advertising purposes, but they found no evidence he actually got paid to do so.

From what I understand, these signings were on his many trips this spring.

So, for the school to get further punishment, there will have to be evidence that they knew and covered it up. Which is what came to light eventually with USC, Tressel, etc,.

We'll see. If any schools know how to cheat, it's the old SWC schools. Closely followed by current SEC schools.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
College football fans won't like this:

But this is an example of why I don't watch college ball. They make Bazillions of dollars (Gee) off these college players and don't allow them to make a penny. Yet when they break the rules they slap on the wrist so they can continue profiting off dudes. They have a hella-crappy bowl system (until next year) run by crazed lunatics. They rarely (except for a few powerhouses) teach fundamental football and instead focus on flash which rarely translates to the NFL. They don't even groom players for the NFL, hiding errors, hiding character flaws, just hoping they make it through college playing great ball so they can shovel them to the next level. College coaches are much more corrupt than Pro Coaches. They go into these kids' homes, meet their FAMILIES, and feed them a bunch of lies to recruit them. I could go on, but suffice it to say that College ball is broken in my opinion.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Lol

You like that do ya? :D

Just think there is something rotten in Denmark.

Lot of kids suspended for much less, imo

Doesn't help that a flat out don't like the kid at all.

Sent from my intergalactic transmorgapher

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I dont think that will matter in the slightest. As already mentioned with OSU, the NCAA investigated, the school investigated, they came to an agreement that no games would be forfeit, the players would be allowed to play in the Sugar Bowl but then suspended for the start of the next year. On the surface that decision made absolutely no sense at all... if they were trying to do justice OSU would be replaced in the Sugar Bowl for some other school just as deserving but without the scandal. But obviously that would have caused a bit of financial strain, and having OSU play the Sugar Bowl without their stars would have been a joke, so instead the NCAA handed down a laughable "penalty" that never made any sense. Then once the NCAA got their profits they retroactively handed out the punishments that should have been enforced months earlier.

Did the same thing with USC.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, these signings were on his many trips this spring.

So, for the school to get further punishment, there will have to be evidence that they knew and covered it up. Which is what came to light eventually with USC, Tressel, etc,.

We'll see. If any schools know how to cheat, it's the old SWC schools. Closely followed by current SEC schools.

Not really, all that would have to happen is that the NCAA later got evidence that Manziel was indeed paid and should be ineligible. Based on recent rulings they would then hold A&M accountable for playing a player they had good reason to believe might have taken money that would lead to him being ineligible.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
THey did the same thign with USC basketball and still gave them further penalties later when they finished their investigation.

USC self penalized in basketball, and football, and then got hit again in both when the NCAA issued their final report.

This absolutely has to be the case here. This is the only play A&M has, and the NCAA had to accept it. It doesn't mean that they aren't going to get hit with a one ton heavy thing (OTHT) down the line.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
20 days to work on Manziel's "suspension." 20 weeks (and counting) to work on Davonte Neal's appeal to play in 2013.

Makes total sense.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This absolutely has to be the case here. This is the only play A&M has, and the NCAA had to accept it. It doesn't mean that they aren't going to get hit with a one ton heavy thing (OTHT) down the line.

Right but only if they find evidence that he did something.

I believe that's why they did this as quickly as they did. They don't have proof, but they're hoping by acting quickly if there is anybody that has proof to give them, they will now come forward.

Remember OJ Mayo got away scot free until one of his inner circle gave proof to ESPN and the NCAA.

The NCAA can't subpoena anything so they're limited in getting evidence.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Some might put me on ignore for this, but chocolate is better.

I agree but I've never heard of a team running chocolate schemes in pre season. Maybe there's a rule against it.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 1/2 game suspension is something A & M can do to avoid the dreaded LIC (lack of institutional control) accusation by the NCAA, down the line. As feeble as it seems, that is what the lawyers advice is. This is the fine line that the program is walking. Manziel is their meal ticket and their albatross. The SEC let them in to increase their marketing footprint and basically offers A & M a teflon coated insulator with the NCAA. If the NCAA invokes the wrath of the SEC, they are committing suicide. $$$$$ rule. Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, et al have players and staffs doing things ten times worse than what Manziel did. There is a rumor that the going price tag for SEC recruits who meet the criteria is in the 6 figure range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard