Johnny Football Suspended...

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He doesn't eat much chocolate then does he? :p
Nope. Whenever I tell non-Cardinals fans about that Bidwill thing with the scoops of chocolate, they all say that exact same thing. But they think I am making it up.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 1/2 game suspension is something A & M can do to avoid the dreaded LIC (lack of institutional control) accusation by the NCAA, down the line. As feeble as it seems, that is what the lawyers advice is. This is the fine line that the program is walking. Manziel is their meal ticket and their albatross. The SEC let them in to increase their marketing footprint and basically offers A & M a teflon coated insulator with the NCAA. If the NCAA invokes the wrath of the SEC, they are committing suicide. $$$$$ rule. Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, et al have players and staffs doing things ten times worse than what Manziel did. There is a rumor that the going price tag for SEC recruits who meet the criteria is in the 6 figure range.

If you saw the blurb about that new book coming out there's a WR at A&M now whose dad claims an SEC team offered them a financial package worth 600K and possibly more with all the potential perks. What was fascinating is he said he had 2 other programs, one ACC the other I forget that offered to DOUBLE whatever the SEC team offered! He said they refused and signed with A&M, and it's not clear if he reported them or not.

So yeah 6 figures is not out of the question although just for certain kids apparently.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not a bad day for Johnny Manziel. Suspended for one half comes back throws a touchdown, does the "show me the money" gesture, taunts the opposing players, gets a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and gets benched for the rest of the game. I can't wait to see this dude play in the NFL.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some might put me on ignore for this, but chocolate is better.

I honestly don't understand 90% of your posts.. Dont know if they are humor, sarcasim or what.. I just usually skip right past your posts.. And if its a thread where you and someone are talking for a long period of time.. I go to another thread..

I don't ignore you though, in the conventional way.. :D

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I honestly don't understand 90% of your posts.. Dont know if they are humor, sarcasim or what.. I just usually skip right past your posts.. And if its a thread where you and someone are talking for a long period of time.. I go to another thread..

I don't ignore you though, in the conventional way.. :D

Your loss Gee. Mulli has a sarcasm and wit that is incredible.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Johnny Manziel = Ryan Leaf

This kid has the talent of Steve Young, but the mind of Vince Young. Dumb moves today in the game, talking trash like that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't remember a more unlikable college football kid in a while.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Johnny Manziel = Ryan Leaf

This kid has the talent of Steve Young, but the mind of Vince Young. Dumb moves today in the game, talking trash like that.

Bah, don't fall for the media overhype. They went way overboard building him up, and now they are going way overboard tearing him down. He got similar penalties last year, where was the faux-outrage then? Oh, that was in the "building them up" phase of overhyped media coverage of American celebrity, so it wouldn't even make the postgame story then.

It really is not that big of a deal.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't remember a more unlikable college football kid in a while.
There's a rumor that he faces another suspension - this time for being unlikable.

Because they don't want to risk a situation - where he's suspended for half a game only to have the other team go into ball control mode in the 1H (so that the kid only sits out only 4 offensive plays) - the new suspension is for 18 offensive plays (or the first 12 pass plays, including those where the QB scrambles; unless there are more than 3 holding penalties which, incidentally, would nullify the entire suspension)...

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Bah, don't fall for the media overhype. They went way overboard building him up, and now they are going way overboard tearing him down. He got similar penalties last year, where was the faux-outrage then? Oh, that was in the "building them up" phase of overhyped media coverage of American celebrity, so it wouldn't even make the postgame story then.

I agree. Remember how the media built up Peyton Manning and then went overboard trying to tear him down to the point that Woodson won the Heisman and many were touting Ryan Leaf as the better NFL QB prospect.

The media is great at building a pedestal while planting dynamite under it to blow it up later.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree. Remember how the media built up Peyton Manning and then went overboard trying to tear him down to the point that Woodson won the Heisman and many were touting Ryan Leaf as the better NFL QB prospect.

The media is great at building a pedestal while planting dynamite under it to blow it up later.

I don't see how the media giving you praise gives anyone the right to act like a complete jackass and break rules..

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I don't see how the media giving you praise gives anyone the right to act like a complete jackass and break rules..

Nor do small indiscretions deserve to be blown up into major disasters by that same media.

And of course given how some of the interaction with opposing fans went at Cardinal games at SDS we don't have much room to be self righteous.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nor do small indiscretions deserve to be blown up into major disasters by that same media.

And of course given how some of the interaction with opposing fans went at Cardinal games at SDS we don't have much room to be self righteous.

Those other fans started it.. :D

OP
OP
crisper57

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Think he learned his lesson? Don't mess with the NCAA young man. Wrist slaps are annoying.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My take is the same, if he really didn't get any money he's fine, if he did, it will almost assuredly come out because he just doesn't seem like the type of kid who's going to be very good at keeping something like that under wraps. Someone is going to get mad about something and if they have proof he got paid they're going to give it to the media or the NCAA.

If he's clean fine, if not it's highly likely he'll eventually get caught and A&M will forfeit the games he played in this year.

I would add, the reports his arm is stronger this year appear to be true, made a couple of really nice throws in the little bit that I saw.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

:biglaugh:

Look closely at what he wrote. "Dear Duck, I screwed Mack Brown by not signing with your Horns & I'm gonna screw your Redbirds when they draft me next year...signed Johnny Me-ziel" :D

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:biglaugh:

Look closely at what he wrote. "Dear Duck, I screwed Mack Brown by not signing with your Horns & I'm gonna screw your Redbirds when they draft me next year...signed Johnny Me-ziel" :D

You teasips need to move on to how you screwed up with Jameison Wilson.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
You teasips need to move on to how you screwed up with Jameison Wilson.

You mean Winston? Come on, the Horns don't recruit in Bama...it's basically Texas, a few LA & and a few CA.

Many others have gotten away the last few years because of the style of offense Mack wants after VY & Colt left campus, a run first offense with RBs galore just like Thesmel wants. :D

Why the Horns have 3 pretty damn RBs in Bergeron, Gray & Brown is beyond me with John Skelton (Ash) chunking the rock. :bang:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
You mean Winston? Come on, the Horns don't recruit in Bama...it's basically Texas, a few LA & and a few CA.

Many others have gotten away the last few years because of the style of offense Mack wants after VY & Colt left campus, a run first offense with RBs galore just like Thesmel wants. :D

Why the Horns have 3 pretty damn RBs in Bergeron, Gray & Brown is beyond me with John Skelton (Ash) chunking the rock. :bang:

Just shows aj doesn't know anything about Longhorn football. The guy the Horns missed out on was J.W.Walsh the QB at Oklahoma State. That guy would be dynamite running the Texas offense.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Florida State QB who threw more TDs than incompletions for his first game. His preference was to play at Texas, and he called them asking to be recruited, but they declined.