Jackson, Melton dumped

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
this is my last unload regarding this absurdity awful off-season:

we basically gave up Warren, Holmes, JJ, Melton, and Okobo for nothing -- things that will amount to nothing -- or things we could have got much cheaper if our GM knew what he was doing!

Warren was our 3rd best asset last season. That draft day dump was rash considering there was no free agent target at that time.

Holmes, JJ, and Melton were 3 of our 4 best defenders and together they outplayed most other 2nd units with their energy. I was optimistic about Okobo. I liked all 4 of them.

we'll never get to see what some of our better parts could do under a competent coach

all we had to do was get JJ on a hot streak again (and further from his stupidity arrest) and we could have traded him for much better value

i would have been much happier with Coby White, #32, Holmes, and see if the new coach could get more play value or trade value out of TJ, JJ, Melton and Okobo

the only positive is we didn't get D.Russell -- Booker has a lot of maturing to do and he was unlikely to do that hanging with D.Russ. i'm glad he was overvalued by GS (where he doesn't belong either)

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The dude almost hasn’t played at all his first two years and when he did he showed terrible skills. You’re saying he was so much more valuable than JJ based on summer league two years ago??? Our front office is dismal. Either at effectively negotiating trades or judging value or talent. Plain and simple.

If Jackson had merely played poorly he still would have had value.

If Fultz had his issues and had also puked on the court during practice, fled the cops in cuffs and (allegedly) gotten a baby high then the Sixers wouldn't have been able to get rid of him.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Gambo also kept insisting we would NOT stretch him. He was right so far.
Yeah I think the only way he would’ve gotten stretched is if we were actually in the DLO sweepstakes. His contract is now much more valuable as an expiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
To guard yes, but he still can’t create his own shot. He’s much more suited for the 3 than anything resembling a 2. If he’s our 2 in the floor then we literally only have a single ball handler out there, particularly with JJ gone now.

Yeah, he's usually in the corner on offense. Maybe the Suns can still find a serviceable SG somewhere. Seems like one of the easiest positions to fill.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The dude almost hasn’t played at all his first two years and when he did he showed terrible skills. You’re saying he was so much more valuable than JJ based on summer league two years ago??? Our front office is dismal. Either at effectively negotiating trades or judging value or talent. Plain and simple.

Yes I am.

Fultz gets his shot back - he is a likely all star.

Jackson at best will be a bench player forever, worst case he will be out of the league in a couple years.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
How many useless techs does he get because he can't keep his cool. Making gun gestures at fans. Picking up silly fouls out of pure frustration. That is more so what I am talking about when I say attitude issues. It is along the lines of immaturity and maybe he would grow out of it, but guys like that don't bring anything to the team unless they also produce for you.
Meh those weren’t frequent enough to besmirch him with a tag of “bad attitude on the court.” There is plenty to criticize JJ about, but that one is a fabrication.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I would be surprised if Korver wanted to stay here. I don't know if Korver had trade restrictions in his contract, but this was probably all talked out so he could go to a contender. Probably Lakers?
Oh you know he’s going to the lakers. Just another in a line of assists jones is racking up with old buddy LeBron.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You completely missed the point. His problems so far have been well documented. You're not even going to give a talented but enigmatic #4 pick a chance with a legitimate NBA coaching staff?

Once again, we're losing resources by selling low, and Jones continues to get schooled left and right. We're capped out with a terrible roster and no future assets. Forgive me if I'm not deep into planning the celebration.

I swear to God, this is like the terrible Cardinals days where you'd still find people ready to carry water for any and every move, no matter how stupid it was.

been saying since the draft and early FA that this feels like 2003 Rod Graves "Has a Plan to build the belly of the team" off-season... right down to trading the 6th pick of both drafts, when there was a player of desperate need at the slot and trading back and ending the draft with two mediocre first round prospects.

Hope I'm wrong, but Jones hasn't just been giving assets or possible assets away... he's been paying teams to do so as well.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I find the Warren trade far more confounding than this one.

With Jackson's play and off court issues he obviously had no value.

Warren on the other hand, I don't get the timing of that trade at all, a bajillion teams had cap space and a bunch of em were going to whiff on their targets.

I have a really hard time believing that right now, on July 3rd that Warren would still have negative value, he would easily get that contract, probably considerably more, if were sitting in free agency.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rubio
Jerome
????
Carter

Who am I missing?

Okobo
Tyler Johnson

We also signed Jalen Lecque & Jared Harper to deals that are guaranteed this year, I believe. I know Lecque in on a guaranteed deal this year but I'm not 100% on Harper.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yes I am.

Fultz gets his shot back - he is a likely all star.

Jackson at best will be a bench player forever, worst case he will be out of the league in a couple years.
There was and maybe even still is some intrigue with Fultz because he hasn't actually played significant minutes and looked bad. For Jackson, on the other hand, getting on the court quite a bit has really only hurt his value because he did far more bad than good.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
To guard yes, but he still can’t create his own shot. He’s much more suited for the 3 than anything resembling a 2. If he’s our 2 in the floor then we literally only have a single ball handler out there, particularly with JJ gone now.

Jj couldn't create his own shot or truthfully shoot either. He was the master of the 1 on 5 break. He took horrid angles and turned it over constantly. We got better when he barely played

He was a million dollar athletic freak with a nickle head

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
@Chaplin is thinking we may have freed enough money for Kaminsky, and could use the MLE for a SG.
I think that’s the only reason to move JJ from a cap perspective.

But when I said not much left I was referring to SGs, not cap space.

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
And the clearing is complete. From my insider the Suns don’t care about second round picks to clear there troubled players from the roster. The Suns view this is addition from subtraction they feel just dumping warren and Jackson they improve by ten games. This is also the way forward gentlemen, the suns are only interested in high IQ and good character players from here on out. They believe the core is already in place with Ayton and Booker as there A players and Bridges and Oubre as there as he said it enhanced role players. The rest are filler at this point except Rubio which they expect to be the Captain of this team. Expect the Suns to be shopping there first round pick next year and Tyler Johnson to pick up a legitmate stretch four.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

If Fultz had his issues and had also puked on the court during practice, fled the cops in cuffs and (allegedly) gotten a baby high then the Sixers wouldn't have been able to get rid of him.
How come this is literally the first I’m reading of the puking in practice drunk episode? I read every thread on here daily and I never recall reading that. Am I the only one?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Ah you’re not getting what I’m saying. Sixers knew they had a devaluing asset and sold before it bottomed out. We just rode JJ to his apparent bottom. That’s not good front office work.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I find the Warren trade far more confounding than this one.

With Jackson's play and off court issues he obviously had no value.

Warren on the other hand, I don't get the timing of that trade at all, a bajillion teams had cap space and a bunch of em were going to whiff on their targets.

I have a really hard time believing that right now, on July 3rd that Warren would still have negative value, he would easily get that contract, probably considerably more, if were sitting in free agency.

Well, it just shows you teams don't value Warren. I don't either.

On a good team he might be usable as a spark off the bench - but the dude is so one dimensional.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Melton and Carter had the same salaries I believe. Just swapped guys basically.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How come this is literally the first I’m reading of the puking in practice drunk episode? I read every thread on here daily and I never recall reading that. Am I the only one?

I only just heard about it the other day when Gambo started talking about it. I'm guessing the team, at the time, swept (or mopped) it under the rug.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave