Jackson, Melton dumped

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The Grizzlies are trading Kyle Korver and Jevon Carter to the Suns for DeAnthony Melton, Josh Jackson 2020 second-round pick and 2021 conditional second-round pick, league sources tell ESPN.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Another wasted draft pick. Crazy to think the only lottery picks left from this horrible era are Booker and Ayton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Another wasted draft pick. Crazy to think the only lottery picks left from this horrible era are Booker and Ayton.

Bridges?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Korver will apparently be bought out, his deal is only partially guaranteed. I'm a little upset we're giving up Jackson. I think we'll regret that in a few years.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I was a big fan of Carter coming out of West Virginia. Not mad about having him as further depth.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
And Korver will apparently be bought out, his deal is only partially guaranteed. I'm a little upset we're giving up Jackson. I think we'll regret that in a few years.

I suspect they felt he would be a negative presence for the locker room. He made it very difficult for the Suns to be able to hang onto him with him making so many mistakes both on and off the court.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If you go back to the night they drafted Jackson, everyone loved the pick.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I suspect they felt he would be a negative presence for the locker room. He made it very difficult for the Suns to be able to hang onto him with him making so many mistakes both on and off the court.

Definitely a guy you want off the team, posting pics eating down the street and skipping a meet and greet, making your GM have to come and sign autographs for you was a pretty good sign it was coming to this. Monty didn't want him on the team as well

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Had to clear salary. You have potentially Oubre and Bridges playing the same spot. It’s a tough pill to swallow given how excited most of us were that he was here at 4, 2 years ago. At the same time he had opportunity. It just never fully clicked. I hope for his sake he gets his head on straight.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Waiting for the Oubre signing to be announced now that the Suns have the cap space needed for Rubio contract

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I understand why he's being shipped out. They're looking to change the culture here and keeping him would sends the wrong message to the other young guys. I'm a little surprised we couldn't get any sort of return for Jackson & Melton as a combo though. Why ditch Melton instead of Okobo also? I don't get that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

agreed. Would have loved to see the new staff get a chance to work with him before giving up on him.

and we had to sell off more picks and get nothing in return. it's the definition of selling low.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The other day I heard once last year he showed up to practice drunk and threw up all over the floor. That on top of running in cuffs, supposedly getting a baby high and smashing up a girl's car in college.

He may figure it out eventually but he's got serious problems upstairs.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Totally okay moving JJ, not ready ti see an NBA floor, didnt improve from year 1 to 2. Doesnt seem to have NBA work ethic and mindset and Suns need culture change with all his off the court stuff.

This was done to clear cap for Oubre.

I just think Josh Jackson has shown some level of potential where he should have returned something, a future protected 1st rounder?

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I understand why he's being shipped out. They're looking to change the culture here and keeping him would sends the wrong message to the other young guys. I'm a little surprised we couldn't get any sort of return for Jackson & Melton as a combo though. Why ditch Melton instead of Okobo also? I don't get that.
My guess is that Melton holds more value as a defensive backup. I would assume Memphis would want him over Okobo.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Probably just feel better about his upside. Okobo has a lot of potential on offense and still has a lot of room to grow. Either would have been on the end of the bench either way so they probably figured it made sense to hang onto the one that they deem to have higher potential.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
I could care less about JJ. Since we are keeping 1 of the 2, wish we would've sent Okobo rather than Melton. Melton has the better upside IMO. Size and defensive capability at both guard positions. Okobo isn't the shooter that he was supposed to be and with all the offensive stud guards in the league, Melton would've been the better fit to keep.

However, with that said, Okobo isn't guaranteed to stick here anyways. A lot of PG's on our summer league team that may push him out anyways

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Melton was not a good defender last year.

I doubt either Melton or Okobo become rotation players but I think Okobo has the better chance. I liked his court vision more and he seemed quicker.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Totally okay moving JJ, not ready ti see an NBA floor, didnt improve from year 1 to 2. Doesnt seem to have NBA work ethic and mindset and Suns need culture change with all his off the court stuff.

This was done to clear cap for Oubre.

I just think Josh Jackson has shown some level of potential where he should have returned something, a future protected 1st rounder?

This was not done to clear cap for Oubre. They need cap room to sign Rubio. They can go over the cap to sign oubre.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose