Jackson, Melton dumped

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Since you work for the Suns, please tell me more about how Josh is ruining the culture. Pure speculation on your part.

Again, the Suns could have made a variety of moves to retain Jackson and try to rehab his image. Who knows, maybe with Monty, he grows up and turns into a real player!

I'm so happy to know we're going to have a locker room full of grinders who will struggle to get 30 wins. At least our draft picks are just bursting with potential!
Is it hard to speculate? He has always had a bad attitude on the court and his name has been all up in the news this off season for all the wrong reasons.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
@1Sun Do you know anything about Jevon Carter?

Outstanding defender (better than Melton, though his size limits him to defending the point only), good energy guy, very athletic. Not a particularly good shooter. Great effort and intensity. Ish Smith type.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Outstanding defender (better than Melton, though his size limits him to defending the point only), good energy guy, very athletic. Not a particularly good shooter. Great effort and intensity. Ish Smith type.
Might be alright shooting the 3. He shot 46% post all star break last year and was about a 40% guy in his last 2 college years.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Since you work for the Suns, please tell me more about how Josh is ruining the culture. Pure speculation on your part.

Again, the Suns could have made a variety of moves to retain Jackson and try to rehab his image. Who knows, maybe with Monty, he grows up and turns into a real player!

I'm so happy to know we're going to have a locker room full of grinders who will struggle to get 30 wins. At least our draft picks are just bursting with potential!
New GM. New Coach. Now just three guys left from McDonough era. Right or wrong, this is a house cleaning. Remaking the team in James Jones vision. We have been talking about this for at least a month that JJ was gone.

You don't have to insult me with the "Since you work for the Suns, please tell me more about how Josh is ruining the culture." line. None of work for the front office. We ALL are speculating. Some of us based on sports reporting via radio, internet, and sewspaper!

I get your frustrated. Don't take it out on me in particular! :)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Might be alright shooting the 3. He shot 46% post all star break last year and was about a 40% guy in his last 2 college years.
three and D pg. He had to adjust to the NBA line like most player do (Booker struggled early too), but has been good in the last few months. He is a leader, he is a character guy, he is a tough hard-nosed defender (as good as Melton IMO). I have always liked him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Reminder to all that the draft is a crap shoot and even Philly screwed up with Noel, Okafor, and Fultz. Philly cut bait on Fultz, the #1 overall pick after only 1.5 years. They nailed Embiid and Simmons, hopefully our Booker and Ayton.
Uh the Sixers got back Jonathan Simmons, a 1st and a 2nd for fultz. How does that remotely compare to this trade?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
New GM. New Coach. Now just three guys left from McDonough era. Right or wrong, this is a house cleaning. Remaking the team in James Jones vision. We have been talking about this for at least a month that JJ was gone.

You don't have to insult me with the "Since you work for the Suns, please tell me more about how Josh is ruining the culture." line. None of work for the front office. We ALL are speculating. Some of us based on sports reporting via radio, internet, and sewspaper!

I get your frustrated. Don't take it out on me in particular! :)

haha

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Uh the Sixers got back Jonathan Simmons, a 1st and a 2nd for fultz. How does that remotely compare to this trade?

It shows we sold 6 months too late. Fultz would be a salary dump this off-season as well.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I'm surprised at how pissed off this trade has made me knowing that I had no faith in the front office to begin with.

HOW IN THE HELL DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING? We can actually use Korver? WTF is wrong with these aholes?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I was frankly amazed we did not give up a first to dump JJ. That was what I was expecting.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Which assets in particular do you think we sold low on? At the time it felt like we were selling low on everything but in review, it doesn't look that bad to me.

I think we gave up a decent player in Warren and could have done much better had we moved him at the all star break but I guess they felt the need to do it right away. So I consider that somewhat of a loss but I wouldn't place much value at all on the Milwaukee pick or any of the 3 2nd rounders that might be moved.

JJ showed flashes of brilliance but overall he was one of the very worst players in the league. ESPN's Hollinger has JJ as the 296th best player, Melton came in at 308, Troy Daniels was 310 and Okobo came in at 350. Anything that removes those 4 from our nightly lineup seems like a good thing to me.

I don't like the loss of Holmes but he was a free agent and never a sure thing for us anyway which was obviously made less of a sure thing with his off the court escapade. Still, I'd feel quite a bit better if he was on our roster. Baynes is a different kind of backup but he should at least help mitigate the loss of Holmes.
There was another factor too. This roster was just plain too crowded. There were too many young player to have the floor time to develop any one of them. If you have a vegetable garden, you have had to do this. You plant multiple seeds, but as the plants grow you have to thin them or the best ones will not be able to develop. The ones you pull look like they could do well too, but they will do so at the expense of the others.

TJ, Jackson, Melton would stymie the development of Bridges, Oubre, Jerome etc. You try to get a deal, but if you can't they still have to go.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Damn man...... I hate this crap so much. I wish I could block all Suns news from ESPN.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You were right. I was wrong.

Good enough for ya?

I did argue that if the consensus pick IS the best pick, you make that pick and do not do something else just to be different. Did Ainge just luck into Tatum, or is that who he really wanted?
I agree with your last statement. It was just the everyone letting a gm off the hook for bad picks because that’s what all the mocks had that drive me crazy. A good gm has to be better than all the mocks. Otherwise why are you paying him???

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really don't like the suns just dumping Melton and Okobo for nothing. I still think both have pretty good potential.

Jackson on the other hand - it was time for him to go. Dude is just an idiot, and was still playing stupid 2 years in. I really do not think he will ever be a good NBA player, and he can't be a good influence on the rest of the team based on his off court behavior.

I do think this team will be much improved. The basketball IQ is going to be much, much higher. That alone will help Ayton and Booker shine.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was frankly amazed we did not give up a first to dump JJ. That was what I was expecting.
I was expecting something like that. I was hoping we would not trade JJ, not because I wanted to keep him, but I thought we might have to give up a boatload to dump him. We gave up Melton (who, I would have cut if it was possible) and two second rounders--and we got Carter.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The return isn't the same, but it is a team giving up on a top pick, very quickly, at a point of low value.

I also think Jackson would have been easier to move if his problems seemed to source from an injury, rather than being bad on the court and a growing embarrassment off of it.

Not thrilled to be selling low but I get why they don't want him around anymore.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Well it doesn't. Fultz played fantastic in the summer league before his shot got messed up.

Josh Jackson played like total crap for 2 full seasons. He has never played fantastic - especially in summer league.

Fultz has not had any offcourt issues either.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Jones has put together the Phoenix Spurs. They're either going to mesh and succeed or this franchise is toast.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Is it hard to speculate? He has always had a bad attitude on the court and his name has been all up in the news this off season for all the wrong reasons.
“Bad attitude on the court” - ??? This is literally the first time I’ve ever seen that typed in this board. This is pure revisionist history to make it fit what you want the case to be.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Hmm in the absence of any additional SG I’m pegging him to likely backup book at this point.
I've been hearing rumblings that the Suns are still planning on adding another SG to the roster. I don't think they want to at all be in a position where they need to rely on either rookie to play a big role this year if they can help it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave