Jackson, Melton dumped

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Reminder to all that the draft is a crap shoot and even Philly screwed up with Noel, Okafor, and Fultz. Philly cut bait on Fultz, the #1 overall pick after only 1.5 years. They nailed Embiid and Simmons, hopefully our Booker and Ayton.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Stretching keeps money on the books several seasons. This rips the bandaid off!

Not good enough. We’re not stretching Luol Deng’s contract here... It wouldn’t have been more than 2.3/2.4 thru 2022 and this is coming from JJ’s biggest detractor.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
OK. I defended McD a lot, but if a GM just makes the pick all the mocks would have made, what is the point in having him as the GM. Jackson was actually the consensus #3 pick. But Ainge was smart enough to take Tatum instead.
That’s what I used to argue and everyone said “nooooo he took who everyone would’ve taken!!!”

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If he was good on the court or off the court than maybe. The problem is that he showed to have issues in both areas.

You completely missed the point. His problems so far have been well documented. You're not even going to give a talented but enigmatic #4 pick a chance with a legitimate NBA coaching staff?

Once again, we're losing resources by selling low, and Jones continues to get schooled left and right. We're capped out with a terrible roster and no future assets. Forgive me if I'm not deep into planning the celebration.

I swear to God, this is like the terrible Cardinals days where you'd still find people ready to carry water for any and every move, no matter how stupid it was.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If this was necessary to clear space over multiple seasons and retain Oubre I can stomach it. If we don't end up with Oubre....this was one ******** trade. Throwing in picks and Jackson already has my stomach churning.

Look - I know fans don't want to hear it - but Jackson was going to be gone no matter what. Melton was going to be gone no matter what.

Cap space was needed to sign Rubio by July 6th - so they needed to trade Jackson now.

Here is my problem - we should have been able to sign Rubio without requiring cap room. The need to get Jackson traded quickly is why it cost us 2nd rounders - and that should not have happened.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
You completely missed the point. His problems so far have been well documented. You're not even going to give a talented but enigmatic #4 pick a chance with a legitimate NBA coaching staff?

Once again, we're losing resources by selling low, and Jones continues to get schooled left and right. We're capped out with a terrible roster and no future assets. Forgive me if I'm not deep into planning the celebration.

I swear to God, this is like the terrible Cardinals days where you'd still find people ready to carry water for any and every move, no matter how stupid it was.
It's about building a culture. You don't keep a guy around that's ruining the culture. You send him home, which ruins his value, or you trade him away. This was a locker room move as well as a cap move.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Melton obviously has higher value than Carter, he contributed more and is younger.

The 2021 2nd rounder is heavily protected.

So cost of dumping Jackson was a high 2nd rounder and the (slight) upgrade of Melton over Carter. What a drafting disaster again.

I think that Melton has higher value than Okobo, so he might be gone, which means another high 2nd rounder was wasted.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Look - I know fans don't want to hear it - but Jackson was going to be gone no matter what. Melton was going to be gone no matter what.

Cap space was needed to sign Rubio by July 6th - so they needed to trade Jackson now.

Here is my problem - we should have been able to sign Rubio without requiring cap room. The need to get Jackson traded quickly is why it cost us 2nd rounders - and that should not have happened.
We took back a PG. Hard nose defender it sounds like. Was he worth a second rounder? Maybe?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Then we’re complaining about money on the books next year that didn’t need to be there. Do you want it to be painful now, or later? Like I’ve said, it sucks, but time to move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJ’s cap hits after being stretched are 2% of the **** salary cap. It will be less after the cap goes up.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Clearly they didn't want his attitude and decision making in their locker room and to be honest I don't care for it to be there either. On top of that it clears needed cap space.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That’s what I used to argue and everyone said “nooooo he took who everyone would’ve taken!!!”
You were right. I was wrong.

Good enough for ya?

I did argue that if the consensus pick IS the best pick, you make that pick and do not do something else just to be different. Did Ainge just luck into Tatum, or is that who he really wanted?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Embarrassing. Two 2nd rounders and Melton to dump JJ?

The notification I got on my phone said JJ, Melton and 2 picks. I fully expected at least one of them to be a first rounder. Jones really painted himself into a corner. Every GM in the league knew he needed to dump salary in the next couple of days to sign Rubio. He was not negotiating from a position of power.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hasn't been that bad an offseason. We've worked ourselves in to the 29-31 win range by adding some pros and not holding a roster full of guys two years out of high school.

Let's hope Oubre and Ayton develop into stars in the coming year or two. It would go a long way towards not having to get lucky or overpay absurdly.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
JJ’s cap hits after being stretched are 2% of the **** salary cap. It will be less after the cap goes up.
We are already doing gymnastics to work around the cap this year. Every bit of dead cap that you can avoid you should. None of what they gave up was of much worth and that includes Melton.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even if the FA class is bad next year, having room to add a piece that helps is valuable.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Jevon Carter Full Highlights 2019.04.10 Grizzlies vs Warriors - 32 Pts, 8 Threes! | FreeDawkins

Season finale for the Grizzlies

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the total haul so far for this off season?

Seems to me that we sold low on our assets.

Which assets in particular do you think we sold low on? At the time it felt like we were selling low on everything but in review, it doesn't look that bad to me.

I think we gave up a decent player in Warren and could have done much better had we moved him at the all star break but I guess they felt the need to do it right away. So I consider that somewhat of a loss but I wouldn't place much value at all on the Milwaukee pick or any of the 3 2nd rounders that might be moved.

JJ showed flashes of brilliance but overall he was one of the very worst players in the league. ESPN's Hollinger has JJ as the 296th best player, Melton came in at 308, Troy Daniels was 310 and Okobo came in at 350. Anything that removes those 4 from our nightly lineup seems like a good thing to me.

I don't like the loss of Holmes but he was a free agent and never a sure thing for us anyway which was obviously made less of a sure thing with his off the court escapade. Still, I'd feel quite a bit better if he was on our roster. Baynes is a different kind of backup but he should at least help mitigate the loss of Holmes.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It's about building a culture. You don't keep a guy around that's ruining the culture. You send him home, which ruins his value, or you trade him away. This was a locker room move as well as a cap move.

Since you work for the Suns, please tell me more about how Josh is ruining the culture. Pure speculation on your part.

Again, the Suns could have made a variety of moves to retain Jackson and try to rehab his image. Who knows, maybe with Monty, he grows up and turns into a real player!

I'm so happy to know we're going to have a locker room full of grinders who will struggle to get 30 wins. At least our draft picks are just bursting with potential!

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We took back a PG. Hard nose defender it sounds like. Was he worth a second rounder? Maybe?

No - I don't think he is as good as Melton. Haven't seen him play, but his stats do not look good, and I remember he was not nearly as highly regarded in the draft last year.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Major house cleaning by Jones. Can debate if you like it or not but the answer will come on the floor this season. It was a dysfunctional team the last several years.