It's Official...Erickson is the new Coach of ASU

PAQ77

Registered
Reaction score
I do have to ask you, why are you all so worried about this hire, if we are so bad off you all should be greatful. The mere fact that you all make it a point to downgrade this hire and express your extreme objection to it, seems to mean that you all are worried about how good we are going to be. I would be too. Go devils.

Nah, no worries here. In fact, I've said this is a decent hire. He's definitely a better coach than Koetter. But his wins in college have been with the previous coaches players. He doesn't stay long enough to establish himself. But he still has to coach what he has and he's done pretty well, there's no arguing that.

Go Cats

HooverDam

Reaction score
Facts, facts...

You act like I'm bashing the hire. I already said it was a decent hire.

Go Cats

Cool, he wins w/ other guys players, great! Koetter has some good players in here (Rudy C, Z. Miller, etc etc), so if Erickson can win w/ them, its a perfect fit.

Everyone was expecting ASU to be at the top of the Pac this year, and Koetter couldn't squeeze it out of them, maybe Erickson will be able to.

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson did most of the cheating. Erickson just continued the art form.

As far as downside is concerned, isn't ASU near rock bottom now? The Wade affair, poor graduation rates, non-qualifying recruits, athletic department money woes and wasn't there a case of a player marrying an older woman in the football office?

Maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't au relieved of a few SCHORLARSHIPS recently??? I'm pretty sure, but you might want to check my facts...BTW ASU wasn't.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have my doubts about DE, especially with his tendancy to job hop. But, as long as LL is looking down the road with one eye and keeping her other on DE then I am happy with it.

I look forward to seeing the Devils play next year.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW... Every new coach plays with someone elses players.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Erickson taking over sleeping giant

By Craig Haubert
Scouts Inc.
ESPN.com

You must be registered for see images attach

Pat in Phoenix: So, Dennis Erickson is back in the Pac-10. Is this a good thing for Arizona State's recruiting efforts?

Craig: Yes, this is a good thing. If there is one thing Erickson has proven, it's that he knows how to win at the collegiate level, regardless of whether it is a "big time" job or not. He has done it at Idaho (the first time), Wyoming, Washington State, Miami (Fla.) and Oregon State.

Arizona State is a sleeping giant that once was a national power in the 60s, 70s and early 80s under Frank Kush, Darryl Rogers and John Cooper. It can and should be again with the right guy at the helm, and that guy may very well be Dennis Erickson for a couple of reasons.

First, he understands that to win on the west coast, you must be able to recruit southern California high schools and junior colleges, and you must also be able to get kids into school that maybe other programs can't, which Arizona State has the power to do, much like Oregon State did when Erickson was there.

Second, Erickson knows the lay of the land out west in Pac-10 and Mountain West territory, and he knows what it will take: beat USC and UCLA on a few kids a year, dominate the state of Arizona and recruit defense, which is what the Sun Devils have been lacking as of late.

ASU has all the tools and resources to be a power in the Pac-10 and the national scene. They have a great landscape, facilities, campus life is booming, the stadium is rocking when they are successful and great weather.

This is a goldmine job, and he knows it was too good to pass up. Look at what he did at Oregon State with not much to work with, so imagine what he could do with this job.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/insider/columns/story?columnist=haubert_craig&id=2697408

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Erickson willl win here but fail to overtake USC. USC could keep a hummingbird eligible for 5 years.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
At this point, as long as they're better than Cal and Oregon, and are able to switch off with SC every other year, that's a huge step up.

I think I speak on behalf of many ASU fans who don't expect miracles overnight, and aren't holding up the BCS or Bust mantle yet, we just want to see them perform better than the mediocre play they put up the last two years.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson