It Really Is This Bad: Projected Starters 2023

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Nothing folk hero about it. I thought he was a good player at OU and we got a steal for a guy that was estimated to go in round 4-5.

That,combined with him being cheap for 3 more years gives him the edge for me.

You're literally saying in one breath that you expect Daley to start despite being garbage but you're confused about why I expect Hayes to start in the next?

I expect Hayes to win the job because Daley is known trash and the odds of Hayes being worse are slim.
Lecitus Smith is trash. Daley is just replacement-level. I believe Daley starts because I expect that Hayes ceiling is Daley, but his likely outcome is Smith (whom the cards rated higher obviously).

It’s baffling that people are projecting a 7th round pick into the starting lineup after not taking a single regular season snap. He likely comes into camp worse than he came in as a rookie.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
Gosh they better be bad..like it's etched in stone. Is there a scenario that the Cards are much better than expected, Murray plays? Or is that big of a drop-off in talent. There's guys who were drafted in types of rounds, some undrafted. Is it like they just were anointed a superstar so that makes them good. Why not our players...aren't they built to be stars in their very nature. Other teams do it, why not this team. I guess one has to accept that they assembled this roster. Is Deebo even a 1st rounder? There's this complex over this team.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Lecitus Smith is trash. Daley is just replacement-level. I believe Daley starts because I expect that Hayes ceiling is Daley, but his likely outcome is Smith (whom the cards rated higher obviously).
Slightly disingenuous argument. Smith was probably valued higher because of positional versatility. Remember how Bobbie Massie went later in the draft because teams thought the only position be could play was RT?
It’s baffling that people are projecting a 7th round pick into the starting lineup after not taking a single regular season snap. He likely comes into camp worse than he came in as a rookie.
Yeah it's a definite reach.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I mean, he hasn't played a down in a real NFL game, and @BritCard has him penciled in as a starter.

Britcard, come on man. Hayes is my homeboy, and he looked okay in limited preseason action, but can you not see how we're getting ahead of ourselves a little here? How that's more than a little hopeful?

And @kerouac9, equally questionable is getting meaningful reps out of Daley. I have an acquaintance who's a rabid TEN fan, and he literally referred to Daley as "the worst offensive lineman in the history of the NFL". lol..

I can squint my eyes and imagine we'll be okay at LT, RG and RT. After a couple of martinis I can even convince myself we'll be okay at C.

But who in the world are we going to play at LG? What about leaving an aging Kevin Beachham at RT, and putting PJ at LG?

Or, maybe we'll catch lighting in a bottle with Hayes, or my favorite whipping boy Josh Jones will finally find another position besides LT where he can be at least a "C-" starter.
Must be some strong ass martinis

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cannot believe people are still trying to convince themselves that this isn't a full on tank job.
I'm not completely convinced.
If Kyler is out for the majority of the season then they will struggle to win a game.
Kyler has stated in public, that his goal is to be ready Week 1. He has no reason to say that if he doesn't think he can be somewhere close to that. Sure the Cards will likely put him on the PUP list, but he can come back after 4 weeks. I would be SHOCKED if Kyler misses a majority of the season, unless there is an injury setback.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I strongly feel if Murray shows advancement then you go heavy offense in this draft. You try to make that side of the game an overwhelming advantage. Unless there’s a generational defender that is head and shoulders better than the offensive player under consideration.
If Kyler shows advancement and both picks are top 5, I'm trading the later of my picks to the highest bidder again.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not completely convinced.

Kyler has stated in public, that his goal is to be ready Week 1. He has no reason to say that if he doesn't think he can be somewhere close to that. Sure the Cards will likely put him on the PUP list, but he can come back after 4 weeks. I would be SHOCKED if Kyler misses a majority of the season, unless there is an injury setback.

The state of the o-line, more than Kyler’s rehab, is what I think will keep Kyler off the field, either to protect him or via a new injury. We’re going to give up pressure right up the middle, over and over.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The state of the o-line, more than Kyler’s rehab, is what I think will keep Kyler off the field, either to protect him or via a new injury. We’re going to give up pressure right up the middle, over and over.
That is a variable I didn't think much about, it does make some sense.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well cant be any worse than the glorious skelton bradford rosen lol seasons jeezzzz awful memories

Sure more bad memories this season not to confident with the talent still to many holes....

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeesh. Going into 2024 with one of the least talented defenses in the NFL again would be real hard to swallow.

It would be so Bird City to see like 700 yards from Michael Wilson and decide we’re good letting Hollywood Brown walk and going into 2024 with Harrison Jr and Wilson and convincing ourselves we’ve upgraded at wideout.

They’ll have to double down on offense in 2024 if they do the responsible thing and throw James Conner and Zach Ertz overboard.
This ain’t gonna be rebuilt overnight. Particularly with them largely punting on this offseason. Get the offense lined up next offseason. Hope some of the young defenders (Wilson, Simmons, collins, Thomas, Ojulari, and other edge guy from last year) develop and then go big defense the next offseason.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This ain’t gonna be rebuilt overnight. Particularly with them largely punting on this offseason. Get the offense lined up next offseason. Hope some of the young defenders (Wilson, Simmons, collins, Thomas, Ojulari, and other edge guy from last year) develop and then go big defense the next offseason.
What I hope is that Murray shows something good this year, and a few of the younger OL and front seven players step up.

Then the Cardinals get MHJ and the top edge player in the draft.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If Kyler shows advancement and both picks are top 5, I'm trading the later of my picks to the highest bidder again.
While I like the idea, conceptually, of continuing to add to our pile of picks, if there are next level guys available, you pick two and set parts of your franchise for a LOOONG time. Imagine getting a Fitz and prime time in the same draft. But it has to be that level guy. It can’t be Paris johnson. Has to be a Tony boselli.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
While I like the idea, conceptually, of continuing to add to our pile of picks, if there are next level guys available, you pick two and set parts of your franchise for a LOOONG time. Imagine getting a Fitz and prime time in the same draft. But it has to be that level guy. It can’t be Paris johnson. Has to be a Tony boselli.
They both have to work out though. If you don’t hit on the picks or use them at not-premium positions, you just prolong your employment telling your boss and the fans that you’re well-positioned for the next draft.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Just huffing hopium like cheese on ether here.

Simmons is probably gone after this year. Unlikely that you get more than one solid starter from the four edge prospects we have.

I like Wilson but his contract is up after 2024.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't want to continuously do it, only one more year. At that time, we should have enough upper tier talent to compete if our front office does it right. They got amazing value from their first haul (at least it appears) so I would trust them to do it again.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't want to continuously do it, only one more year. At that time, we should have enough upper tier talent to compete if our front office does it right. They got amazing value from their first haul (at least it appears) so I would trust them to do it again.
You can consistently trade a dollar for $1.25 but if you end up spending it on Luna you’re never getting ahead.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think if the Cardinals ended up with #2 and #3, they could move down a few slots and still get the top defensive player since I expect we will see something like:
1. Williams/Maye
2.Maye/Williams
3. Alt/MHJ
4. MHJ/Alt
5. Fashanu
6. Verse

Granted this can change substantially, but getting #2 and #3 means the Cardinals should be able to trade and still get a very good player while adding future picks.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Just huffing hopium like cheese on ether here.

Simmons is probably gone after this year. Unlikely that you get more than one solid starter from the four edge prospects we have.

I like Wilson but his contract is up after 2024.
You’re right. We should strive for sub-mediocrity on both sides of the ball instead of first building a strength while hoping (yes hope plays a role with this green cadre of coaches and general
Lack of talent) that the guys you hired to drive this bus, you know, defensive guys, can hopefully scheme up that side to some level of acceptable play while you lean on talent on the offensive of the ball.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If you say so . . .

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

So you think the "worst tackle in the league" and known garbage player who has 4 career games at Left Guard has a leg up over a guy with 2400 college snaps at Left Guard?

Daley didn't get the start at LG last year over a 3rd year UDFA with 650 previous career snaps and Hayes is better than Aaron Brewer. I don't think Daley is anywhere near consideration for starting at LG. I think he was signed as a guy that can cover multiple roles as a backup and nothing more.

I don't care that Hayes hasn't started a snap, I have eyes. He's clearly a better Guard than Daley. He also has the movement skills and run blocking ability for a zone scheme while Daley is a poor run blocker.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm not. How Cardinals would it be to do that every year thinking you're the smartest guy in the room only to never actually take advantage of the extra top pick? Then again, since we're clearly going to need this season and next season to rebuild this roster, given the missed opportunities, maybe punting yet another season is worth it.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'm not. How Cardinals would it be to do that every year thinking you're the smartest guy in the room only to never actually take advantage of the extra top pick?
I am if you can move from 2 to 5, while adding multiple high picks.

This years QB crop might be significantly better than last year's crop. If Williams and Maye were in this draft, arguably they would have gone #1 and #2.

Imagine a scenario where the Cardinals end up with #2 and #3, and Atlanta at #5 calls up and offer #5, a 2025 1st, a 2024 2nd, and a 2025 2nd. That's a war chest of draft assets that Atlanta would reasonably offer to get their QB of the future.
Then again, since we're clearly going to need this season and next season to rebuild this roster, given the missed opportunities, maybe punting yet another season is worth it.
I want to see incremental improvement.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison