Isaiah Simmons and the 5th year option

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
LOL Because the WR and the TE will always be the same talent level. "Never" and "always" are so...absolute ;)

It wouldn't be much of a rule if it wasn't absolute :)

If you have a WR graded the same as a TE you should take the WR. Unless you already have a well stocked WR room.

Then you should take a tackle, CB, Edge etc instead.

If you are absolutely set at at CB, Edge, WR, QB, DT and OT then you can draft a S, LB, TE, RB, OG, or C. See, not absolute :)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It wouldn't be much of a rule if it wasn't absolute :)

If you have a WR graded the same as a TE you should take the WR. Unless you already have a well stocked WR room.

Then you should take a tackle, CB, Edge etc instead.

If you are absolutely set at at CB, Edge, WR, QB, DT and OT then you can draft a S, LB, TE, RB, OG, or C. See, not absolute :)
Well, yeah, to the bolded.

You're going to stand by a "never draft even a HoF player in the top 10 at non-premium position" stance? Really?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Here's an 'absolute.'

You can't know this in advance, really!
You have to trust your talent evaluators.

I mean, it's a moronic argument. Never ever ever take those players top 10. Oh, wait, there are HoFers at those positions? Well, always take premium positions if, if, if, if...and "oh wait, you can't know that ahead of time," etc. All ways of trying to defend an indefensible position. There are clearly times to pick non-premium positions in the top 10. A team and GM just needs to be savvy enough to do it and draft well. Folks just want to pontificate on pet project "absolute guidelines" lol

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I get what you're saying, because it's a difficult position to transition. But if you look there are far more busts outside the top 10.

We're talking true all round, pass rushing DT's here in the top 10. It's actually pretty rare because there aren't many of them.

Carter
Brown
Williams
Oliver

There are the only top 10 DT's in the last 10 years and all were taken in the last 5 years.

Go back a little further and you can add Dareus, Suh and McCoy. But it's rare, and it should be rare. But if there is a true inside pressure guy they are worthy of top 10.

I wouldn't draft any of the none premium positions top 10 ever. Not even Brock Bowers.
The argument against drafting a DT high is that they’re not on the field as often as other players. I loved me some Dan Williams back in the day, but best case he’s only playing 60% of your snaps.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The argument against drafting a DT high is that they’re not on the field as often as other players. I loved me some Dan Williams back in the day, but best case he’s only playing 60% of your snaps.

Fair point.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
DT is a pretty broad category as well...Dumpster Dan was as pure a run stuffing DT as the day is long, but you never see those guys drafted high anymore. A penetrating DT can be a 3 down player though.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
DT is a pretty broad category as well...Dumpster Dan was as pure a run stuffing DT as the day is long, but you never see those guys drafted high anymore. A penetrating DT can be a 3 down player though.
are we calling Chris Jones or Jeffrey Simmons DTs? or are they DEs now?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
To me the bottom line with Simmons was he appeared so versatile the old regime had no idea what to do with him. I‘d say use him heavily as a rusher from the outside where he can use his speed and agility to impact the opponent’s passing game. He can cover a little, better in zone. I think there’s a decent chance he’s an impact player.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
are we calling Chris Jones or Jeffrey Simmons DTs? or are they DEs now?
Chris Jones played 80% of KC's snaps last year (he missed 0 games to injury.
Simmons played 83% of the Titans' defensive snaps.
Cam Heyward played 75% of Pittsburgh's snaps
Quinnen Williams played 65% of the Jets' defensive snaps.
Dexter Lawrence played 82% of defensive snaps for the G-men.

football karma

Reaction score
the premium position philosophy may be put to the test next draft

lets say the Cards end up with picks 4 and 10

#4 goes to a premium position-- CB

and then at #10 Blake Bowers, TE is staring you in the face

take him? or the 2nd WR off the board at that point. Another OT? maybe the 2nd Edge player off the board

I suscribe to the premium position theory, and i am having a hard time saying no to Bowers (my rationalization is that he is like a high end WR)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
the premium position philosophy may be put to the test next draft

lets say the Cards end up with picks 4 and 10

#4 goes to a premium position-- CB

and then at #10 Blake Bowers, TE is staring you in the face

take him? or the 2nd WR off the board at that point. Another OT? maybe the 2nd Edge player off the board

I suscribe to the premium position theory, and i am having a hard time saying no to Bowers (my rationalization is that he is like a high end WR)
Bowers is like a good WR. I can get behind that ide.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Ray Lewis, Ronnie Lott, Travis Kelce, Mike Webster, and Barry Sanders say hi.

In general, I agree with you, but only in general. The only absolute in the draft is that there are few absolutes. Even though the Cards have done it in the past, I think it's safe to say you should never, ever take a kicker in the first round, let alone the top 10. It would be absurd to ignore someone you feel is the next HoF player, however, because they don't play a premium position.
Agree. If a player is a sure fire hall of famer you pick him where you pick regardless of positional value...
Exception maybe... you have pick 1 and there are 3 qbs and an edge but your HoF guy is a kicker ...maybe trade back a bit... but if your sitting at 12? Just draft the guy and forget about your kicker for 15 years.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Positional switch!

Ooh, our other MLB too!

Wow - the Washington/Dansby redux apparently is never going to be realized. Incredible that both are basically going to be starting from scratch.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Positional switch!

Ooh, our other MLB too!

Wow - the Washington/Dansby redux apparently is never going to be realized. Incredible that both are basically going to be starting from scratch.

We're gonna keep drafting off-ball linebackers in the first round until morale improves.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Positional switch!

Ooh, our other MLB too!

A lot of draft scouts wrote that Collins could play outside or inside...A report from BR says he comps to KJ Wright of Seattle...and that he can play SAM in heavy sets and WILL in Nickel...either way, he can play the edge, but he didn't project as a full-time edge rusher.

football karma

Reaction score
Also, it will be interesting to see how the Cardinals incorporate Baker, Thompson, and Simmons. My guess is Thompson or Baker would play the slot but who knows.
maybe both do it -- both have the skills

Simmons looked best as a deep middle of the field safety last year

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Also, it will be interesting to see how the Cardinals incorporate Baker, Thompson, and Simmons. My guess is Thompson or Baker would play the slot but who knows.

I’m not sure either of them have the skills a typical slot does in man which concerns me. I’m all for the Simmons move but I have trouble seeing how all three of them get on the field together.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m not sure either of them have the skills a typical slot does in man which concerns me. I’m all for the Simmons move but I have trouble seeing how all three of them get on the field together.
Thompson certainly has more coverage skills then budda playing the slot

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave