Is this team unlikeable?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the change in GM and coach, I'm giving this team a fresh slate.

Hope they can get the franchise going in the right direction. I will give them that opportunity.

Reaction score
I don't think there's a ton of outwardly likeable players on the roster, with JJ gone and all.

Budda is, but it's hard to see anyone else I get excited about from like a media perspective. It doesn't mean they're bad players or anything, just not vocal or consistent enough on the field yet. DHop was, but with his suspension and the rumors he wants to leave, I'm not really counting him.

I have no pulse on Ossenfort and Gannon yet. Ossenfort seemed nice in his presser, very genuine. Here's hoping they can develop a culture here that's likeable and successful.

I'd very much prefer someone home grown to be that culture setting guy. For as much as I liked JJ, you never really got that feeling he was "ours" like Larry, Adrian Wilson, and others were.
For me, one of the most likeable is Gardeck. Love how he went from UDFA to Captain.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's is what you make of it.

If you want to moan and find fault all the time I guess no.

What's the criteria here for likeable? I like winning so they were pretty likeable in 2021 and not so much last year. Do we have to have likeable players? I'd rather win with 22 douchebags than lose with 22 happy clappers.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I watched every minute of every game and honestly I was so disgusted with the whole regime that was actively rooting for them to get blown out. I wanted it to become impossible to not make changes.
I didn’t expect more than 5-6 wins last year KNOWING what we had. I’m going to go into next year with those same expectations.
Sadly I was in the same boat as you even though I didn't watch every game however the ones I did get to watch, I too was actively hoping for big time losses just to force a change.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Is this team unlikeable? Unfortunately, but absolutely yes. I can hardly stand this organization any longer.

Big_Red_One

Rookie
Reaction score
There is no way to know that with any certainty
Keim is gone and no longer filling the roster with FAs because he could not draft or resign our own. That alone allows for some cautious optimistism.
Additional bonus optimism if the sideway pass is no longer a feature and something that drove you nuts.

Mark22

VBhoopcoach
Reaction score
Im 33 years old and have watched and been on this board since early highschool. Ive seen a lot of bad football and Bball here over that span. Maybe im just being negative but this team is just so unlikeable.

Kyler is the face of the franchise, nuff said. Guys like Larry and JJ are retired and gone. Kliff was a likeable guy but just couldnt do the job. The coaching staff/Keim were busted in the media for the wrong reasons. Players come here and succeed elsewhere (John brown, isiah, reddick, jordan phillips, etc). The roster is all flash without the actual flash. On top of it, the whole roster is about to turn over. You have ex players like PP taking shots at how the Cards front office does business. At least some bad teams are known for playing hard, not this one. You then hire quirky young Gannon to fix the problem. What evidence is there he can fix the problem? The cards needed a head coach to move the franchise forward, not another 40 year old coordinator with a short resume, c’mon man.

Im okay having bad team and rebuilding but i cant find a guy or a face here to even attach my wagon to. I like ertz and Budda but just mostly feel bad for them and want them gone because I want to see them actually win. I think if we were fans of another team, we would all dislike the Cards.

Go Suns
Sounds like maybe it’s time for you to root for another team. Why aggravate yourself following a team you don’t like?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Sounds like maybe it’s time for you to root for another team. Why aggravate yourself following a team you don’t like?
I just did that for the better part of four years, haha.

I think it's fair to not like the current incarnation of your team, vs. not liking them at all.

I guess I'm looking at likability from the lens of the outsider instead of someone who is a fan when this question is asked. Like, for many years I just didn't like the Bengals because their attitudes were poor and they put pretty trashy humans on their rosters. Now I find the Bengals to be highly likable from their coaches, to their QB, and maybe one of my favorite players to watch in Jamar Chase.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just did that for the better part of four years, haha.

I think it's fair to not like the current incarnation of your team, vs. not liking them at all.

I guess I'm looking at likability from the lens of the outsider instead of someone who is a fan when this question is asked. Like, for many years I just didn't like the Bengals because their attitudes were poor and they put pretty trashy humans on their rosters. Now I find the Bengals to be highly likable from their coaches, to their QB, and maybe one of my favorite players to watch in Jamar Chase.

I don't get not liking the team you are a fan of though. Surely fandom comes with a built in floor that stops at "temporarily annoyed" or something? And surely that should be reset back to "optimistic" when you have a new GM and HC?

I can't imagine not liking any team I'm a fan of, if that was the case I'd stop following them.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
Least the Suns let people know az is a real state lol

I don't follow basketball nearly to the extent of football but Suns are certainly fun to watch for the last couple years and having a new owner is great. BUT both franchises are still tied in the most important aspect:

Cardinals SB Wins. 0
Suns NBA Championship Titles: 0

Granted, Suns had a ton of dreadful years and there was little to be optimistic about. Seemed like it would never change, yet here we are. Hopefully we are saying the same about the Cards in the not too distant future.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't get not liking the team you are a fan of though. Surely fandom comes with a built in floor that stops at "temporarily annoyed" or something? And surely that should be reset back to "optimistic" when you have a new GM and HC?

I can't imagine not liking any team I'm a fan of, if that was the case I'd stop following them.
Congrats. That’s you. You do you. Sports fandom is largely irrational. We are cheering for laundry and a logo and history. Teams change everything but the owner usually over time so it’s not crazy to think you might prefer one iteration to another.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Losing is unlikeable, no doubt. But, they are the HOME TEAM and I will always root for the HOME TEAM. I don't "like" much of the leadership the last few years (decades?) but am willing to give the new regime time to show what they got.
Just because some people, me included, express our disgust with what's going on doesn't mean we aren't fans, fans who want to WIN badly and root, root, root for the HOME TEAM.
As a whole I don't say the team is unlikeable, certain components are.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score

I tend to agree with this. Except for the time we had to endure Derek Anderson, John Skelton, Max Hall. That was painful and the "floor" was somewhere way below the basement.

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
Never has it been harder to like the current version of this team, unfortunately.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I daresay no one, especially my fellow Mags fans, liked Newcastle United under Ashley and Cabbage head. Still hard core fans, though.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just because I like the Cardinals it doesn't mean I am not critical of what they do, or don't get annoyed or frustrated at them.

Being a Cardinals fan is like having a 13 year old child who you love dearly but is being a major pain in the butt most of the time.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Well, I'm more thinking about like from an NFL team perspective. Let's say you were just a fan of the game (which I think is fair to say to someone from the UK, who probably knows plenty of people who maybe enjoy the sport, but don't really give a poop about following a specific team come rain or shine). In that instance, does this franchise seem like one where the people on the field or producing the product are people you can root for?

Here's an example. I hate the 49ers with a passion. But I found Brock Purdy "likable." He's an underdog, seems kind, works hard, you feel good when seeing him do well.

I love the Cardinals. But I find Kyler Murray tremendously "unlikable." Don't get me wrong, he's a pretty good player, and I root for him because he's in Cardinal red, but if he were on another team I'd just laugh about how much he pouts and make Call of Duty jokes all the time.

It's very simply a feeling of like "ugh, I don't really want to root for these guys." Still a fan, still would like us to be good, but probably wouldn't take my kid to training camp to get his football signed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose