Is Carson Palmer a HOF QB?

Dude

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I say if he wins a ring this year or next he wont play to 40. We are all guessing here. So a ring and he's done in three years max. I could live with that.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
A lot being made of Palmer's age . John Elway played in { 5 } super bowls over his career , he lost { 3 } , the { 2 } that he won was at age 37 and age 38 . If MB --- SK --- BA keep putting the right kind of talent around Palmer , I believe that he could play at a high level for another three seasons .

So do I. ;)

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The fact that you all are going back and forth for 45+ posts about this subject tells you exactly where he stands w/r/t the Hall of Fame.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Well, as I said, I can see Palmer having very productive but not as good as this season years in 2016, 2017 and maybe 2018 (when he hits 38).

Aside from Brady (who is 38) and Manning (who is 39 and breaking down hard), Moon averaged 19 TD's and 2,700 yards from the age of 38 thru his last year.
Warner retired at 38...
Farvre averaged 23 TD's and 3,500 yards from the age of 38 on... But Farvre was much more mobile then Palmer...

We'll see how it all shakes out... My guess is that this season is his high water mark. In 2017 and 2018 he plays well but his TD's and Yards (along with all other passer stats) fall far short of this season. That doesn't mean he'll suck! Far from it. As long as he keeps his INT numbers down, I think he'll play well enough to keep the Cards relevant and a consistent post season threat.
But all bets are off after 2018.
I get what your saying, but that comes down to the talent around him, his arm strength and his ability to stay healthy. If those things all happen for the next 3 years or so than he could continue to post these big numbers.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I think Palmer needs to do the following in order to be considered a HOF QB. He needs to play at least another 2 years after this season and put up similar numbers as this season. He needs to win a SB. An MVP either for the regular season or a SB MVP will help and he needs to get some credit for helping to turn the Cardinals around into a contending playoff team. I think the last one is somewhat critical. If he is viewed as an important part of taking the Cardinals to annual playoff contender status then it helps his HOF credibility. That is why a guy like Terry Bradshaw is in. He was never a very good QB however he won multiple SBs and had a great surrounding cast. If anyone thinks Bradshaw was one of the big reasons the Steelers won so many SBs they are fooling themselves. He was an average QB at best.

GiantCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Eli Manning has won 2 SBs and lots of people don't think he's a HOF QB. Decent QBs on bad teams have padded stats because they're always behind and throwing the ball to catch up. Palmer is a good QB, but not HOF imo

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eli Manning has won 2 SBs and lots of people don't think he's a HOF QB. Decent QBs on bad teams have padded stats because they're always behind and throwing the ball to catch up. Palmer is a good QB, but not HOF imo

interesting... I was JUST going to ask this question. To anyone who thinks Palmer has a shot if he has a couple more great seasons and wins a title, do they also think Eli is automatically in?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
interesting... I was JUST going to ask this question. To anyone who thinks Palmer has a shot if he has a couple more great seasons and wins a title, do they also think Eli is automatically in?

I think if Eli reaches 340+ TD's and 50,000+ yards, yes - he's in...
As for Palmer, even if/when he reaches those levels, it would be very difficult for him if he never wins a Super Bowl...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think if Eli reaches 340+ TD's and 50,000+ yards, yes - he's in...
As for Palmer, even if/when he reaches those levels, it would be very difficult for him if he never wins a Super Bowl...

oh, agreed. Palmer has ZERO shot of getting in if he never wins a Super Bowl. and to be honest, the only way he probably gets in is he wins 2. Which is realistically not going to happen.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh, agreed. Palmer has ZERO shot of getting in if he never wins a Super Bowl. and to be honest, the only way he probably gets in is he wins 2. Which is realistically not going to happen.

Yeah, he'll have to have a finish to his career that is completely amazing to even have a shot. Too many years of mediocrity. And, when he seemed to be at the top of his game he got hurt. One point in his favor is he has really had a great comeback from his ACL injury last year.

As I was posting this, I remembered.... When you think of what he did at USC, he had three years where he was literally 50/50 for his TD/INT ratio. Then, as a senior it just clicked and he threw for almost 4,000 yards and 33 TDs. Heisman and #1 pick came because of that one amazing season.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/carson-palmer-1.html

Hopefully, his USC career really foreshadowed his NFL career. Because we have Palmer in his "senior" season of playing in the NFL.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Yeah, he'll have to have a finish to his career that is completely amazing to even have a shot. Too many years of mediocrity. And, when he seemed to be at the top of his game he got hurt. One point in his favor is he has really had a great comeback from his ACL injury last year.

As I was posting this, I remembered.... When you think of what he did at USC, he had three years where he was literally 50/50 for his TD/INT ratio. Then, as a senior it just clicked and he threw for almost 4,000 yards and 33 TDs. Heisman and #1 pick came because of that one amazing season.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/carson-palmer-1.html

Hopefully, his USC career really foreshadowed his NFL career. Because we have Palmer in his "senior" season of playing in the NFL.

Carson actually had a pretty good, if not very good start to his NFL career. His '05 and '06 seasons in particular were tremendous and his '07 season was pretty darn good as well.
In '08, he tore a ligament in his elbow and, combined with his feud with Mike Brown, he was never the same in Cincy. He ends up in Oakland in 2011 and actually performed quite well - particularly in 2012, given how crappy those Raiders team were!
And then of course, he comes to the desert in 2013 and, combined with BA, SK and the talent that was already here (Fitz), he hits all-time career highs in just about all QB categories, while putting a win rate of 80%!

I think just 1 Super Bowl victory, along with 3 more seasons of above average performance where he eventually hits the 340/350 TD level and plus 50,000 yards, just might be enough for him to get in... certainly not 1st ballot, but eventually... maybe...

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow I knew Palmer has been playing some good football but geez... He is putting up crazy numbers when the season is over he may very well put up the best season for any Cardinal QB EVER!

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow I knew Palmer has been playing some good football but geez... He is putting up crazy numbers when the season is over he may very well put up the best season for any Cardinal QB EVER!

Those stats are awesome. As great as Kurt was in 2008 (franchise record 30 TD's)...Carson is at 27 TD's with 6 full games remaining. Yikes.

babedimancheff

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Carson Palmer isnt even 'Hall of reasonably Decent' material ,let alone HOF

Lorenzo

Reaction score
at this time no...but I do hope he gets a ring as a cardinals QB and then he's definitely in the mix. he is having a great year and I did not see this coming. I met him when he was in Cincinnati, and he is one of the nicest guys out there.

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Some seem to overlook how well he is playing , he came into this week leading the NFL in TD passes , he is 21 and 4 in his last 25 game starts . Some might not want to hear this , but Carson is on a pace to surpass all of Kurt's numbers here . That being said , Carson is enjoying the best circumstances of his career because he plays for BA , and Kurt never had that .

Dude

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Some seem to overlook how well he is playing , he came into this week leading the NFL in TD passes , he is 21 and 4 in his last 25 game starts . Some might not want to hear this , but Carson is on a pace to surpass all of Kurt's numbers here . That being said , Carson is enjoying the best circumstances of his career because he plays for BA , and Kurt never had that .

"I'm a Kurt Warner homer"

C.P. is a Heisman winning 1st overall pick. Kurt was the 1 AM stock boy. Love me some C.P. as a Cardinal. What would Kurt do with this team? I don't know but I would love to have seen it. I'm Happy to have them both lead our team. We will never have another Kurt Warner "story" IMO. Thanks Lams I'm glad you still suck.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He needs to finish his career with back to back superbowl wins to get to that level IMO.

Is Drew Brees a hall of fame QB?

"I'm a Kurt Warner homer"

C.P. is a Heisman winning 1st overall pick. Kurt was the 1 AM stock boy. Love me some C.P. as a Cardinal. What would Kurt do with this team? I don't know but I would love to have seen it. I'm Happy to have them both lead our team. We will never have another Kurt Warner "story" IMO. Thanks Lams I'm glad you still suck.

If KW had this offensive line we'd be still beaming about our Super Bowl win. KW put up sick numbers with an O-line consisting of Deuce Latui, Levi Brown, Reggie Wells, Lyle Sandlein(who, surprisingly is still anchoring the offensive line), and Mike Gandy. If he had this line he'd have thrown for 5,000 yards and 40+ TD's and Edge would have blistered 1,000 yards.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

If KW had this offensive line we'd be still beaming about our Super Bowl win. KW put up sick numbers with an O-line consisting of Deuce Latui, Levi Brown, Reggie Wells, Lyle Sandlein(who, surprisingly is still anchoring the offensive line), and Mike Gandy. If he had this line he'd have thrown for 5,000 yards and 40+ TD's and Edge would have blistered 1,000 yards.

If Drew Bree's lost that SB he'd still be a HOF'er.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I as much a Palmer fan as anyone but getting into the HOF is going to be a stretch. He's playing at HOF level right now but he'd have to put together about a 4-5 year run at this level of play.

I'm probably in the minority, but I also don't think Warner is a HOF QB.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I as much a Palmer fan as anyone but getting into the HOF is going to be a stretch. He's playing at HOF level right now but he'd have to put together about a 4-5 year run at this level of play.

I'm probably in the minority, but I also don't think Warner is a HOF QB.

KW took 2 different teams to the Super Bowl, won 1, and is a career 93.7 QB rating, which is 10th all time. His numbers are comparable to Jim Kelly who only played in 1 more SB than KW and never won. He also has much better numbers than Aikman and Aikman is in. KW absolutely gets in.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

That defense wasn't good either tho. So you'd have to send them Kurt and some secondary guys. Kurt and PP2... How sick would young DRC and PP2 on the corners have been?

This team would kick the living crap out of that team. And I LOVED that team and always will! This is a much more complete team and Kurt Warner has said as much. This defense could definitely cherry pick a couple of gems off that defense tho. Karlos forsure. Buchanon for Prime Adub? Yes please.

Last edited: