Is Carson Palmer a HOF QB?

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Let me start off by saying I don't think that he is yet. However, if you look at his career totals his numbers are pretty good. He's just been on bad teams and so he hasn't had the winning or the notoriety that comes with being a great quarterback.
When he first signed here even the most optimistic of us figured he was a stopgap quarterback and could last two years, 3 at the absolute best. But now here we are in his third year and he is tearing it up. He is having what looks to be a career year. He is obviously going to be our quarterback next year and maybe he can go another two years beyond that. If he continues to play at the level he is now or close to it I think he gets in. At the very least he's in the conversation right?

This was sent from my cell pjone so please excise any typeos or other errors.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I would think a Super Bowl win would put him in the conversation.

He already has better numbers than Troy Aikman did in his career...higher completion %, more yards, WAY more TDs, higher QB Rating. What Aikman had that Palmer doesn't is Championships--multiple ones.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
By the end of this season, he'll be Top 15 Alltime in TD's, Yards, Completion % and Passer Rating. So yea, that gets him in the discussion...
However, he's got a career record of barely above .500 and only two post-season appearances where he lost both games (granted, the '05 loss really doesn't count due to the injury on his first pass attempt). No playoff wins... No Superbowl wins or appearances... In terms of league-leading numbers, in 2005 he led the league in completion % and TD's. But that's the ONLY year he ever led the league in any category - other than 2007 when he led the league in INT's.

I LOVE Palmer and think he's a tremendous human being. And I really love what he's done for our Cards. He's actually out-performed Kurt. But he needs to produce in the post season and desperately needs a Super Bowl win to even have the slightest shot at the HoF...

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He needs to finish his career with back to back superbowl wins to get to that level IMO.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the end of this season, he'll be Top 15 Alltime in TD's, Yards, Completion % and Passer Rating. So yea, that gets him in the discussion...
However, he's got a career record of barely above .500 and only two post-season appearances where he lost both games (granted, the '05 loss really doesn't count due to the injury on his first pass attempt). No playoff wins... No Superbowl wins or appearances... In terms of league-leading numbers, in 2005 he led the league in completion % and TD's. But that's the ONLY year he ever led the league in any category - other than 2007 when he led the league in INT's.

I LOVE Palmer and think he's a tremendous human being. And I really love what he's done for our Cards. He's actually out-performed Kurt. But he needs to produce in the post season and desperately needs a Super Bowl win to even have the slightest shot at the HoF...

He has quite a ways to go before he can outperform Kurt. On this team, and in his career IMO.

If you win the Arizona Cardinals a super bowl your a HOF to me... Is Kurt Warner a HOF QB?

Borderline, but probably barely.

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
My immediate reaction was no and after looking over his #'s & accomplishments as of now, I still feel that way. HOWEVER, if he wins a SB in AZ and plays 2 more season after this year, he'll be around 50,000 yards and 340 TD's. That will put him in the top 10 (top 7 to 8 really) all time in both categories. A QB in the top 7 of all time in passing yards and TD's with a SB win for a franchise that's never had one, that's worthy of a discussion if you ask me.

here's the list of QB's that have 340+ TD's
1. Peyton Manning
2. Brett Favre
3. Dan Marino
4. Tom Brady
5. Drew Brees
6. Fran Tarkenton

Here's the list of QB's with 50,000 yards

1. Peyton Manning
2. Brett Favre
3. Dan Marino
4. Drew Brees
5. Tom Brady
6. John Elway

There are 5 Qb's in the history of the NFL that have thrown for 50,000 yards and 340 TDs. Manning, Favre, Marino, Brees & Brady. Good company if he can get there and it's not far off if he can keep u this pace for two more years.

Another thing to consider is that of those 5 QB's 4 of them have 1 or zero super bowl wins.

Manning - 1
Marino - 0
Brees - 1
Favre - 1

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Agreed. Matt Ryan's numbers are on the same career projection as Palmer's. In today's game you have to take these numbers with a grain of salt. If you go by numbers alone Tony Romo is clearly a tier above Palmer and also has playoff success. I wouldn't consider Romo a HOF'er at this point.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
He has quite a ways to go before he can outperform Kurt. On this team, and in his career IMO.

Other than the fact that Kurt played (up to this point) in 25 more games for the Cards - which helped his TD's and Yardage totals, here's how it shakes out:

Warner:

Cards Record: 27 & 30
TD's: 100
Completion %: 65.1
Yards: 15,843 / 259 per game
Passer Rating: 91.9

Palmer:

Cards Record: 24 & 8
TD's: 62
Completion %: 63.4
Yards: 8,966 (280 per game)
Passer Rating: 93.6

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
My immediate reaction was no and after looking over his #'s & accomplishments as of now, I still feel that way. HOWEVER, if he wins a SB in AZ and plays 2 more season after this year, he'll be around 50,000 yards and 340 TD's. That will put him in the top 10 (top 7 to 8 really) all time in both categories. A QB in the top 7 of all time in passing yards and TD's with a SB win for a franchise that's never had one, that's worthy of a discussion if you ask me.

here's the list of QB's that have 340+ TD's
1. Peyton Manning
2. Brett Favre
3. Dan Marino
4. Tom Brady
5. Drew Brees
6. Fran Tarkenton

Here's the list of QB's with 50,000 yards

1. Peyton Manning
2. Brett Favre
3. Dan Marino
4. Drew Brees
5. Tom Brady
6. John Elway

There are 5 Qb's in the history of the NFL that have thrown for 50,000 yards and 340 TDs. Manning, Favre, Marino, Brees & Brady. Good company if he can get there and it's not far off if he can keep u this pace for two more years.

Another thing to consider is that of those 5 QB's 4 of them have 1 or zero super bowl wins.

Manning - 1
Marino - 0
Brees - 1
Favre - 1

I think it's a huge stretch that Palmer gets to 340 TD's and 50,000 yards... In fact, I don't see it happening at all. He's at 251 TD's and 38,000 yards. At best, he has 2 more seasons of top performance (maybe) and then a 3rd season of mediocre performance. This season will likely be his career high-point.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
No. Drew Bledsoe isn't a Hall of Fame QB, and neither is Palmer.

MAYBE if Palmer wins a Super Bowl and follows that up with an NFL MVP, he could get into the conversation. He has a lot of counting stats because he's played for 12 seasons. 2 Pro Bowls (maybe a third this year) and 0 All-Pros doesn't get you in.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. This is like asking if Rich Gannon is a HOFer, IMO. Late career success in stats AND winning doesn't wipe away what was a relatively average career before that.

now, if he plays another 4 years and stays at this level and we win a couple Super Bowls, the discussion changes. But right now? No way. Not even if we win the Super Bowl this year.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No, Palmer is not a Hall of Famer, not even close right now. He needs to win an MVP and a Superbowl to even get in the conversation.

Kurt Warner IS a Hall of Famer, for exactly the reasons stated above. He won a Superbowl, was MVP of that game and the guy has 2 NFL MVP awards.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
how can be considered hall of famer a player that never won a single match in the playoff?

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
So Carson Palmer gets punished because he played for some of the worst teams in the league?

That doesn't seem right to me. It's similar to what happened to Aeneas Williams. Never got the recognition he deserved because he played for the Cardinals.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So Carson Palmer gets punished because he played for some of the worst teams in the league?

That doesn't seem right to me. It's similar to what happened to Aeneas Williams. Never got the recognition he deserved because he played for the Cardinals.

He never really played on "some of the worst teams in the league." He was the leader of a whole bunch of mediocre teams.

Aeneas was a three-time All-Pro, an eight-time Pro Bowler, and was voted to the Hall of Fame All-90s team. If Palmer had that kid of reputation, he would be in the conversation for the Hall of Fame.

How many years was Palmer even a Top 5 QB in the NFL in his 13-year career? Three times? Maybe four?

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

He needs some victories in the playoffs and more sustained success like this. 2 playoff victories this year + 35 TDs, 4500 yards next year, and yeah he's in the discussion.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard