Is Ainge really a moron?

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Check out this Danny Ainge mock draft from 2002:

http://www.nba.com/draft2002/ainge_mock_draft.html

That's a nice, nice mock draft right there. He nailed the sleeper of the draft (Amare), and the guys who from the second half of the draft that turned out good (Qyntel Woods, Kareem Rush, Welsch, Boozer, Gadzuric) are mocked up higher then they were actually drafted.

Check out Ronald Murray sneaking into the end of the first round at #26.

It's amazing that Ainge has managed to lose all of his evaluative skills in such a short time...;)

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
We nailed the Amare and Casey selections.

Why do you think Ainge nailed it? Because he has inside sources.

The other guys were generally projected higher and fell on draft day.

OP
OP
F-Dog

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Originally posted by slinslin
Why do you think Ainge nailed it? Because he has inside sources.

The other guys were generally projected higher and fell on draft day.

I'm sure that's true, but Ainge actually wound up doing better than the actual draft.

I don't recall anybody saying anything about Ronald Murray that year, at least.

One big omission by Ainge--Tayshaun Prince is nowhere to be found. :eek:

sunsfn

Reaction score
Curtis Borchardt (C) was drafted by the Utah Jazz in the 1st round and was injured early in the year (maybe training camp).
I think he is almost back and ready to play. Not sure he has played this year or not.

:)

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Well, you saw Ainge's draft last year. It wasn't anything special.

I think Ainge is most likely an above-average judge of talent. Of course, I would say the same thing for every other GM in the league.

However, I think as a GM, he has been trigger happy. He felt the need to make a ton of moves this year, even though they didn't do anything positive for the team. Maybe if he had freed up cap space, I would understand. However, in every deal he has made, he has given up favorable contracts for horrendous ones. The best contract he has recieved is Ricky Davis. You just can't do that in today's NBA unless you are getting stars in return, which he hasn't done.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by thegrahamcrackr
Well, you saw Ainge's draft last year. It wasn't anything special.

I think Ainge is most likely an above-average judge of talent. Of course, I would say the same thing for every other GM in the league.

However, I think as a GM, he has been trigger happy. He felt the need to make a ton of moves this year, even though they didn't do anything positive for the team. Maybe if he had freed up cap space, I would understand. However, in every deal he has made, he has given up favorable contracts for horrendous ones. The best contract he has recieved is Ricky Davis. You just can't do that in today's NBA unless you are getting stars in return, which he hasn't done.

Some of his deals seem to be trading one problem for another. Antoine Walker had become a problem but Raef LaFrentz has less talent and got injured anyway. Ricky Davis can score but is not really a very good player. Perhaps some of his deals will work out eventually, but so far it doesn't look that way.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
It it were simply a problem for a problem swap, then the deals wouldn't look so bad.

Ainge has traded a problem, for a problem with a longer contract in each deal he has done.

Raef still has like 6 years on his max deal. Walker has an opt out this year.

Davis has about 4 years remaining I think.

Atkins has another 4 years remaining.

Battie has only 2 years left, (dont feel like looking up williams), walker like I said could opt out, and he gave all expiring deals up (plus a promising rookie) to get Atkins.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by thegrahamcrackr
It it were simply a problem for a problem swap, then the deals wouldn't look so bad.

Ainge has traded a problem, for a problem with a longer contract in each deal he has done.

Raef still has like 6 years on his max deal. Walker has an opt out this year.

Davis has about 4 years remaining I think.

Atkins has another 4 years remaining.

Battie has only 2 years left, (dont feel like looking up williams), walker like I said could opt out, and he gave all expiring deals up (plus a promising rookie) to get Atkins.

I agree that I think every one of these deals was a mistake. He does seem to be painting himself into a corner.

BTW, it is beginning to look as if the Van Horn for Tim Thomas move is turning into a disaster for the Knicks. They have not won since the trade.

Is the Knicks pick protected? I can't remember reading about it either way.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by PhiLLmattiC
actrually they one the first game after the trade

Was Thomas with the team yet? :D

I missed the fact that the Knicks beat the Pistons on Tuesday. Counting today, the Knicks have lost four of their last five.

I think Van Horn fit Marbury's playing style better than Tim Thomas. Today Tim only scored 10 points on 4 of 10 shooting and missed both of his three's. Stephon scored 30 points, but on 13 of 34 shooting.

fordronken

Reaction score
Originally posted by George O'Brien
Is the Knicks pick protected? I can't remember reading about it either way.

This year's is totally unprotected. If the Knicks fall out of the playoffs, here's to hoping the Cavs make it(for the sake of the Gugliotta trade).

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by fordronken
This year's is totally unprotected. If the Knicks fall out of the playoffs, here's to hoping the Cavs make it(for the sake of the Gugliotta trade).

Rats.

In another post I suggested the Suns may decide to trade their pick to Boston for their three picks (the highest being being #15). Unless the Suns get into the top two, getting Boston's picks would make it possible to give a much lower pick to Utah, pay off the Spurs, use a pick to clear cap space, and still have a #15 +/- even if the Cavs don't make the playoffs.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree about Tim Thomas. I think that Isaiah Thomas made at least one trade too many. Everybody always wants to put athletes around Marbury, but he needs shooters. Keith Van Horn is a better shooter and a better rebounder.

BTW Raef LaFrentz does not have a maximum contract. Actually, he has a deal that is probably closer to what most of us expected for Shawn Marion. HoopsHype is downright now or I would look up the salary. I think it started at $8-9 million. I also believe Atkins has two more seasons after this one on his deal. It seems to me it was about the same deal is Howard Eiseley's just cheaper.

Joe Mama