Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
man eating ants is over the top,

The ant thing isn't as far fetched as you'd think.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Story?id=97591&page=2

"And then they move on again, devouring around 50,000 insects in a single day, according to Bill Gotwald, professor of biology at Utica College in New York and author of Army Ants: The Biology of Social Predation. Gotwald says if you imagine yourself being attacked by 50,000 wolves, you'll have some idea of what it's like being an insect caught in the path of army ants.
There are reports of army ants killing animals the size of a horse, but Brady says he's not sure of the reliability of those reports. A calf, maybe, tied to a tree and unable to get out of the way.
"They are ferocious enough that I'm sure they could kill a baby cow that was tied up," Brady says."

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/ecology/the-five-most-dangerous-insect-swarms/937

'Army ants are another species that wouldn’t be particularly dangerous individually. That doesn’t matter though, because these bad boys stick together and boy do they get nasty. Army ants are swarm raiders, hunting in massive groups above ground. They don’t have a permanent home, but move constantly as a colony. If they come across prey, they attack en masse. Pretty much anything that they come across is ripped apart piece by tiny piece with their small but powerful jaws. This includes livestock. There are legendary, and quite possibly true, tales of the ants enveloping cows, moving on a short time later leaving nothing but the animal’s picked clean bones. Finally, their cooperative nature means they can overcome almost any obstacle. When faced with small bodies of water the ants can cling together with their claws to form a kind of living bridge, which the rest of the colony can then cross as it searches for more food. An army ant swarm is one of the most efficient eating machines in existence."

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
My wife and daughter liked the movie but I was really let down. Adding to the "over the top" list:

being thrown from a nuclear blast in a fridge and then getting up and walking away

Also Harrison Ford is just to old to be doing the stuff that he was supposed to be doing. In fact this whole script seemed like it was written in a weekend. IMHO of course.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My wife and daughter liked the movie but I was really let down. Adding to the "over the top" list:

being thrown from a nuclear blast in a fridge and then getting up and walking away

Also Harrison Ford is just to old to be doing the stuff that he was supposed to be doing. In fact this whole script seemed like it was written in a weekend. IMHO of course.

Oddly enough THAT part didn't bother me at all.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
126,000,000 weekend at the box office and a total 4 day take of 151,000,000

Not bad for an over the top movie.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
it was also nice to see an adventure/action movie not totally dominated by CGI effects (not that CGI effects are a bad thing)

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I saw this today.

After recently watching the last three...this one doesn't even come close and it's too bad. I hope they don't keep this going with Shia as Indy.....I'd rather watch the old "Young Indiana Jones" movies... Sure this series was made on unrealistic action scenes, but I agree that some of the stuff was really over the top. It was a little interesting to see what happened after the first three movies, but I didn't really like it.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, it was an "Indiana Jones" movie. That is descriptive in and of itself. It's always way over the top, silly throwaway lines, cheese and wild, "like that could ever happen" scenes.

We watched Raiders last night before seeing this today, and it just reminded us of how much they could not care less about plot, logic or physics. Just over the top, ridiculous fun, funny if cheesy lines and the freaking whip and hat.

I happen to like that they threw in
aliens. After all, he's always been bouncing around legends of occult and biblical stuff...why not aliens? It was pretty cool..especially since there are legends of sick technology cultures back in ancient times...and things we still don't understand like Easter Island and how/why the pyramids were built, or the unbelievable acoustical perfection of places like Chichen Itza...and some people ascribe their development to "visitors."
I thought it was keeping in great tradition with the over the top Indy tradition.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, it was an "Indiana Jones" movie. That is descriptive in and of itself. It's always way over the top, silly throwaway lines, cheese and wild, "like that could ever happen" scenes.

We watched Raiders last night before seeing this today, and it just reminded us of how much they could not care less about plot, logic or physics. Just over the top, ridiculous fun, funny if cheesy lines and the freaking whip and hat.

I happen to like that they threw in
aliens. After all, he's always been bouncing around legends of occult and biblical stuff...why not aliens? It was pretty cool..especially since there are legends of sick technology cultures back in ancient times...and things we still don't understand like Easter Island and how/why the pyramids were built, or the unbelievable acoustical perfection of places like Chichen Itza...and some people ascribe their development to "visitors."
I thought it was keeping in great tradition with the over the top Indy tradition.

:thumbup:

Completely agree. Pretty fun movie overall. Way over the top and I loved it!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
126,000,000 weekend at the box office and a total 4 day take of 151,000,000

Not bad for an over the top movie.

There was never any doubt at all that it would make a ton of money on opening weekend. They could've filmed Ford taking a dump and reading the paper and it would've made 50 mil.

The real test will be how it holds up over the rest of the summer. I think it will drop off fairly quickly. It's okay to see once, but not again, in theaters.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was never any doubt at all that it would make a ton of money on opening weekend. They could've filmed Ford taking a dump and reading the paper and it would've made 50 mil.

The real test will be how it holds up over the rest of the summer. I think it will drop off fairly quickly. It's okay to see once, but not again, in theaters.

2nd largest four day take in movie history. Regardless of whos starring thats impressive. Probably ensure they will make another already. But you never know with Lucas and Spielberg.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2nd largest four day take in movie history. Regardless of whos starring thats impressive. Probably ensure they will make another already. But you never know with Lucas and Spielberg.

I don't think it was intentional, but it's the timing of the movie that's brillant, not the movie itself. So many of the kids who loved Raiders are now adults with kids themselves. So, you have all these adults trying to explain the movies to their kids, renting the old ones, and then taking them to see it. It's an attempt to share something we loved in our own childhoods. I know this, because this is exactly what happened to me and all of our friends with kids are doing the exact same thing. Release this movie two years after Raiders III and it wouldn't have been nearly as anticipated.

The kids liked the movie better than I did. I'd say it's "okay". The first one was magic, that will never be recaptured.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it was intentional, but it's the timing of the movie that's brillant, not the movie itself. So many of the kids who loved Raiders are now adults with kids themselves. So, you have all these adults trying to explain the movies to their kids, renting the old ones, and then taking them to see it. It's an attempt to share something we loved in our own childhoods. I know this, because this is exactly what happened to me and all of our friends with kids are doing the exact same thing. Release this movie two years after Raiders III and it wouldn't have been nearly as anticipated.

The kids liked the movie better than I did. I'd say it's "okay". The first one was magic, that will never be recaptured.

Absolutely agree on all accounts. But thats what is going to make the genre so successful again IMO. They waited long enough to suck in an entire new generation. The end where Labouf was about to grab the hat and put it on was all I needed to see to guarantee that there would be another. The Box Office take wont hurt that either.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Just saw it today with my kids... I really enjoyed it. I always was and always will be an Indy Jones fan. Love the gratuitous jokes and action... I'd like to see Shia LaBouef carry on in the Henry Jones tradition...

:thumbup:

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I saw it over the weekend. I enjoyed most of it (yes, even that scene where they rode the trucks thru the jungle while sword fighting which was a bit over the top).

I did like the tie-in to the aliens. I saw a documentary about the legend of the crystal skulls and there are scholars who actually believe they were made by 'other-worldly' peoples.

I hope this is Harrison's last Indy - he is getting too old for all of that, but not sure I like Shia as the new one.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I saw it over the weekend. I enjoyed most of it (yes, even that scene where they rode the trucks thru the jungle while sword fighting which was a bit over the top).

I did like the tie-in to the aliens. I saw a documentary about the legend of the crystal skulls and there are scholars who actually believe they were made by 'other-worldly' peoples.

I hope this is Harrison's last Indy - he is getting too old for all of that, but not sure I like Shia as the new one.

See, I disagree. I thought Harrison Ford was still great as Indy--he moved pretty good for a guy his age.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See, I disagree. I thought Harrison Ford was still great as Indy--he moved pretty good for a guy his age.

Yup he did VERY well IMO. Looked good too.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Really, they should've given his stunt double at least second-tier billing. ;)

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um...ever heard of stunt doubles? ;)

Absolutely. However I would be willing to bet that he used stunt doubles a plenty even in his younger years. He played the part very well even if it was stunt doubles.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
i wasn't disappointed b/c i had really low expectations. but that's not saying much.

the beginning was too ridiculous for me.

the part that has been knocked ad nauseum also drove me bananas. pun intended.

kinda like shia though.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
almost 220 mill after 2 weekends. Nice!

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
So my wife and I watched this last night.

Thank goodness we got in for free. I don't remember ever watching a previous Indy film. And about 20 minutes into it I asked my wife is it supposed to look this fake, the acting this bad, and the dialogue this cheesy and of course she responds yep.

Painful for me to watch.

Best part was the preview to the new Shia movie coming out called Eagle Eye. He's putting together a decent resume for a child star.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went to see it with the kids for father's day. My boy got some Indy stuff for his birthday, including the whip that makes sounds. So him watching that movie was like insta-imagination for his new adventures with his new toys. My daughter loved it too.

On rewatch, I really like it. I say it again, it's a GD Indiana Jones movie. Being completely over the top and ridiculous is required, plus cobwebs and adventure and cool puzzles to solve and the flying plane map and the music and chase scenes and fights and everything. It's got it.